The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The biggest positive is that the club is not a direct democracy. Imagine if the fans or members had our way after the Round 23 loss. We would have dumped Fagan, chased Clarkson, fired all the assistant coaches, fired Zorko out of a canon, sold the whole team for a complete rebuild with only Neale, Lester, Dev Robertson and maybe Matheison having their contracts renewed. Darcy Gardiner would have been sent to the glue factory. I just hope some of the extra salty fans we have on our board take some time to reflect. Any single loss and we have so much negativity. I wonder how these folks will tolerate a decade of s**t if we return to our 2016 best.

For all the doom and gloom on here about how our premiership window is closing, our best players are passed it, Fagan needs to be sacked, whatever, we're now one (home game) win away from our 4th consecutive top four finish and another crack at a flag. Our list is relatively healthy. Rayner just won a game off his own boot and would be full of confidence heading into the finals series. On top of it all, we're getting the number one pick in the draft who looks to be a generational talent that could have an immediate impact on par with Walsh or Daicos in their first years. Our age profile is pretty damn great and there's no reason this squad can't remain in contention for the next 3+ years. Most importantly, players like McCluggage, Berry, Rayner, etc. (the present and future of this club) have developed inside a winning culture which has the potential to totally transform the club into a period of sustained success ala Geelong or Sydney. We win far more games than we lose and as such we should hopefully remain a destination club at the trade table.

Life as a Lions supporter is great and it's amazing how quickly some people on here have become spoiled by our recent success (even if we haven't won a flag with this squad yet).
This was my view a month ago when everything was (supposedly) doom and gloom and not much has changed, the outlook as a Lions fan is still great.

Despite the media's crowing about our inability to stand up in finals, we've knocked off the Tigers ("you wouldn't want to play them in September!" - AFL media) and the reigning premiers, the Dees. It hasn't changed the media's perception at all, as Lloyd just stated that 3 sides can win the flag from here...guess which side isn't in with a chance (hint: It's not the side that's 0-4 against the remaining teams, no, that would be silly).

We're now heading into a Preliminary Final against a side under immense pressure to win the flag, IMO all we need to do is be close at 3/4 time and this game is ours for the taking. From there, we'd face up against a side we've already beaten this year for a shot at premiership glory.

We also seem to be deep in the race to sign Josh Dunkley and as mentioned, we're bringing in the #1 pick this year and he seems like a generational talent.

Last edited:

The biggest positive is that the club is not a direct democracy. Imagine if the fans or members had our way after the Round 23 loss. We would have dumped Fagan, chased Clarkson, fired all the assistant coaches, fired Zorko out of a canon, sold the whole team for a complete rebuild with only Neale, Lester, Dev Robertson and maybe Matheison having their contracts renewed. Darcy Gardiner would have been sent to the glue factory. I just hope some of the extra salty fans we have on our board take some time to reflect. Any single loss and we have so much negativity. I wonder how these folks will tolerate a decade of s**t if we return to our 2016 best.
Another positive is that there isn't a negatives board otherwise 90% our BF supporters would never post anything on other threads. ;) It's a serious downer being on BF sometimes.........we definitely love to be negative at every opportunity....even if there is no facts to back it up with. :p

Another positive is that there isn't a negatives board otherwise 90% our BF supporters would never post anything on other threads. ;) It's a serious downer being on BF sometimes.........we definitely love to be negative at every opportunity....even if there is no facts to back it up with. :p
IMO the majority of posters are reasonable in any discussion/critique re our players.

It's just that the odd few that go over the top with derision get highlighted and our perception of the whole board changes.

There used to be a 'vent' thread back in the day. Trust me when I say it was a necessary evil.

We did used to have a vent thread ...

edit should have refreshed before posting and seen Nunez's comment

I not negative about the club, more pessimistic I think. It’s an emotional game and I try not to get my hopes up.

hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

I do love the positives thread😀

Weird feeling being this deep in finals and still alive with a good chance.

I miss delving into the trade board depths and picking an argument with a random about how pick 23 + 45 + 56 is overs for their player + 39 + 64 !

Weird feeling being this deep in finals and still alive with a good chance.

I miss delving into the trade board depths and picking an argument with a random about how pick 23 + 45 + 56 is overs for their player + 39 + 64 !
Jon Richardson GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is the earliest date we can get excited about 2023?

Here's my big positive. Outside of the big Vic clubs (I'd include Geelong in that list), we are arguably the next ranked destination club atm.

Clearly the big Vic clubs are the ones that the young 20 to 23 year old potential superstars want to get traded to. And fair enough, they're going home & want to go to a footy bubble for the next ten years of their careers.

But outside of them, I reckon we're the next cab off the rank. We haven't really had any go home factor trades, which is what most high profile SA & WA trades have been in recent times.

We have had mid 20's players that want to go to a good system & have a chance of snagging a flag though.

Absolute credit to all the staff at our club for creating this great destination for players.

Going back to 2013 you'd be hard pressed to think this was possible.

I agree, they are hard to win. It's not a linear process. All these finals experiences we are having are building the individuals within the team. A premiership is not always a guaranteed result of all these efforts but you always have to give yourself the best chance to get there.

I still feel like having that after the siren win in an away final v port in 2017 paved our way for a flag and to tough out the 18GF..

You need to experience those finals I reckon.

Adding Dunkley is huge. You'll be up there no doubt. Haven't really lost anything major but added strengths

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back