The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Big Lion

Club Legend
Aug 10, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Luey, Lester, Patty K, Rich, Hanley all young and all talented. Many good kids coming through. Longer looks to have the grunt and mongrel we need going forward.

The major positive is that things can turn around remarkably quickly in footy. A side that looks dysfunctional one week can appear world beaters the next. Our run of form prior to the West Coast win was far from great, but in many ways that match turned our season around - I can't remember us being uncompetitive again for the rest of the year, even against strong opposition like Hawthorn at the 'G.

I've been reading all the various opinions on what's gone wrong, and quite naturally there are plenty who think we've got a very dark future, and even some who think another rebuild is needed, but it's so easy to be reactionary in footy and it's something that needs to be avoided.

As someone who thinks through just about everything in every single way in life, I've struggled to take a much more laid back approach with footy because it doesn't quite make sense to me how it can just 'click' for certain sides completely out of the blue, but it really can.

I'm not saying we'll make the finals this year, or that this group will create a dynasty, just that this situation, while not great, is far from dire. Personally, regardless of the last six weeks, I still hold out hope that things might turn around very quickly.

I'm pretty sure we don't need a rebuild. We have the assets across most lines - or with the capacity to develop in areas where will need them. The only thing is that they are raw and unrefined.

The positive is that the materials are there. They just need to be moulded and pointed in the right direction.

Apr 4, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Park Ridge Pirates
I actually liked the umpiring this week.. and the commentating. Even Roos didn't annoy me. What I really enjoyed was the analysis combined with actual suggestions for alternative plans or what we had to do to get back in the game.

It wasn't one-eyed like it is when we play a Victorian team either, even Roos gave us credit where it was due and offered constructive criticism.

AFLQLD

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are other teams?
Honest efforts from lots of players and consistent pressure that rattled the Eagles a bit. Turn that pressure up another ten percent and we get very very hard to beat.

Clarke is really impressive for a guy with a handful of games behind him.

Moloney does grunt work all game.

Bewick is going to keep improving and is a potential match winner.

Simon Black.

Sep 24, 2009
Right here
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Australian International Sides
Players busted their guts today and in the end lacked the composure needed to close out a game like this one. Clarke is a ripper for an 18 year old. He, along with Mayes will be something special down the track.

Yep..agree...pretty positive we lost the game..

We showed commitment and effort today and it was great to see.

Mitch Golby had a cracker of a first half.

The chase and tackles from Zorko and Redden. And Green for that matter.

Tom Rockliff throws himself in heart and soul.

Simon played. :hearts: :hearts:

AFLQLD

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are other teams?
Golby and Lester look the goods for years to come. They look like developing into the strong, reliable types that run out week after week and do the job.

I can see in three years time commentators talking about them (and Harwood) as the strong foundation on which the Lions team is built. Maybe not too much flash, but such toughness that other teams know they aren't going to have a one on one win over any of them.

Crimso

Club Legend
Apr 23, 2002
Maleny
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Mitch is so strong that all he has to do is touch someone on the back & they crumple to their knees. Imagine what he'll be like when he learns to harness this asset!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Panthera

Premiership Player
Feb 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I Really like:

1. Mayes and Clarke. Different path taken through underage footy and to the Lions, but both could become super important for us moving forward. Clarke could be a bigger draft scoop than Rocky in 3 seasons time. CHB from bush SA for nadda :thumbsu:
  2. How pissed off Lester was when he was subbed off yesterday, footy definitely means something to that kid.
  3. Leueys goal and celebration was similar to the WCE win over there a few years ago. He's not going anywhere.
  4. Hanley. His best has already passed Kennelly, but will need to show it in September when the time comes.
  5. Rockliff. Back gut running. Results were there for all to see.
  6. The Redden buzz cut. Looks meaner. Tackles better with it. Just better :cool:
  7. The lowering of the eyes at certain times yesterday - it'll get much better with time.
  8. Polkinghorne form - not sure where it has all come from, but he's getting better in his mid 20's.
  9. Moloney; consistantly good 8/10 games.
  10. Golby fighting back from his form slump.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back