The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It was seriously bloody good to just be able to feel the natural deflated feeling that comes with losing a game you were in all the way, rather than left scratching the head at quarter time and feeling pretty much empty at full time.

The Adelaide game even left me feeling empty, as despite the fact it was close in parts, we never looked like a good side much at all.

We did on Saturday, but just didn't get the four points. I can live with that.

Justin Clarke's looking every bit the prospect that a few on here identified him as early last season. Mitch Golby returned. Rockliff continually ran hard. Our forward pressure at times was immense, and I didn't mind the move of Hanley down there at times for that reason. Actually, our pressure all over the ground was brilliant. We need to harness that weekly now, and we'll be in every match we play.

Jul 22, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
One of the best aspects for me was that we carried the last part of the Sydney game forward to West Coast... the effort, the endeavor, the chase. It shows that the group are starting to level out... that they are getting their heads around performing at a more constant and consistent level and starting to get past that up and down stage that younger teams suffer from.

And while this is blasphemy I know, I really didnt think the change from Lester to Black showed any really significant gain. Don't get me wrong I'm not suggesting Lester is the new Black... but it does show that the gap between our younger guys is closing significantly to the older ones... and that's a great great great sign.

The fact we lost was made all the more tolerable due to the fact we went down fighting. That passion and hunger and a little bit more self belief is slowly creeping back into the team. I'm sure no one has beat them up as badly as they have beat themselves over the last month or so... to see them start to move on and turn it around piece by piece is pure gold.

I just have a feeling we may be happier at the end of this "tough spell" of games than some might think.

I just have a feeling we may be happier at the end of this "tough spell" of games than some might think.

Yep, but we've got to keep moving forward. The confidence must still be fragile. A bad loss this week will really set us back.

Great post nld. Been thinking (hoping?) the same for a while now. There has been so much talk about how this stretch could ruin our season and Voss's career, but it's entirely possible that it could actually be the making of both of them. If we continue to play how we did on Saturday, there's a genuine chance of that being the case.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
During the game against North last year, a switch was flicked and we powered on from there. It was too late for that game and we weren't super in every game after that, but we were definately a different team to that up to that point.
I'm a believer in the possibility that we can flick that switch at some point again this year.

Nuggo

Club Legend
Aug 24, 2009
Mornington
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We used to flog Geelong to an inch of their life during our glory years. Absorb the pain, turn boys into men, stand up and say enough is enough. It worked for Geelong it will work for us. What we are going through builds a hard edge, a killer instinct whereby nothing is going to stand in our way. We will stand up and take what is ours.... but right now we need to absorb the pain.

Apr 4, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Park Ridge Pirates
It was a great game, and it hurt to lose it. As I was walking back through the stadium with a maudlin look on my face, on my 4 year old son looks up and says 'That was so much fun, wasn't it daddy? Thanks for bringing me' and hits me with a massive grin.

Put the whole game into context for me and I felt much better. It really was great to watch the guys being competitive again, and actually daring to dream of a win at 3/4 time.

AFLQLD

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are other teams?
Pure determination!!!!! We never gave up and scrapped for every possession!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4 quarter effort, super win!

This. Opening siren to final siren, we put in 100%. And look what happens when you do. You can talk about tactics, match ups, foot skills and all that other stuff, but hard work is the most important thing. Get the team doing that, and you'll push most teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back