The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I know he was really good in 2012 but Daniel Rich is in career best form this year.

An offensive weapon who is also doing the hard stuff really really well and is rarely beaten by his opponent.

Absolutely. Shame that the media is not noticing him at all. Would easily be in the AA team if it was done right now. Needs to play for Richmond/Collingwood to get some attention.

McCluggage has taken his game to another level this year and what is really pleasing is that he has become goal-kicking mid.

In 2019, from 7 games, he has already kicked 10 goals, the same amount as last year having played 22 games.

Well on track to replace Beams' goalkicking output from the midfield of 18 last year too. Also averaging over 20 touches.

Our B&F after 7 rounds is pretty clearly Neale (1) and then McCluggage and Rich (2/3, I could listen to an argument for each in either spot).

Having a consistent observable pattern to ball movement that AFL media are able to recognise it with a name. I think they were calling it the "Lions launch" and it referred to the link up play from half back resulting in a deep penetrating forward deep pocket marking contest. I cant remember a time when the Lions were associated with an actual gameplay style or had a brand identity. For the past 7+ years it would be a hodge podge on whatever turned up on the day. Our only DNA/identity for winning was pretty much a Beams/Rockliff/Hanley/Zorko special carrying the team on their back to a win with a 40+/4 goal game. Now that we have a style, personnel isnt what wins us games. Its the team effort from the fringes ensuring they stick to the core brand of football the Lions stand for. Its good to be recognised like the GWS tidal wave, the Richmond/Bulldogs manic pressure, the Pies/Eagles kick-mark game or (in the past) Sydney contested/stoppage football. Now that we have spent the best part of 3 years building this identity hopefully we can keep it going for a long time to come.

I cant remember a time when the Lions were associated with an actual gameplay style or had a brand identity.

I can...
  1. Take possession after a behind.
  2. Chip to the pocket.
  3. Launch long to a 2 on 1 involving our ruck.
  4. Watch the ball come back into our defensive 50.
  5. Rinse and repeat.
I called it the Lion limp. Because you knew we weren't going to win with that.

I cant remember a time when the Lions were associated with an actual gameplay style or had a brand identity.
We had the Mozzie Squad under Voss Leppa but they really didn't end up being a huge impact - rather just a zippy short midfield crippled by a stagnant game plan that seemed to consist of a minimum of 3 crossing handballs at every stoppage and then constant handballing and back-peddling into defense and to more pressure.

Before that though - I can only really think of the 'Fab Four' that was the premiership team. Voss, Black, Lappin, Aker, turning into the Five when Power stepped up to the plate.

There was some clear signs of intentional play last night. There were a few stoppages that had some obvious pushes from multiple players hitting the contest at speed to take a clean tap, and although it didn't quite come off there was another clearance that lead to Rich running in along the 50m arc that was very very clear signal that if they got the ball to him, he was going to have a ping from the 50 on his left.

I love that we've identified our strengths enough to form plays to use them to our advantage. It's a sign of growing confidence.

Last edited:
We had the Mozzie Squad under Voss but they really didn't end up being a huge impact - rather just a zippy short midfield crippled by a stagnant game plan that seemed to consist of a minimum of 3 crossing handballs at every stoppage and then constant handballing and back-peddling into defense and to more pressure.

Before that though - I can only really think of the 'Fab Four' that was the premiership team. Voss, Black, Lappin, Aker, turning into the Five when Power stepped up to the plate.

There was some clear signs of intentional play last night. There were a few stoppages that had some obvious pushes from multiple players hitting the contest at speed to take a clean tap, and although it didn't quite come off there was another clearance that lead to Rich running in along the 50m arc that was very very clear signal that if they got the ball to him, he was going to have a ping from the 50 on his left.

I love that we've identified our strengths enough to form plays to use them to our advantage. It's a sign of growing confidence.
Mozzie squad was under Leppa mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide look like they are about to get the chocolates over Freo. That means we finish the round in the top 4 just as the logjam below is ever so slightly starting to separate

If we make a bit of hay from this upcoming patch of winnable games, we could be nicely placed going into the second half of the season.

lol thanks Adelaide. Wouldn't not have thought we'd be 4th on the ladder 7 rounds in considering last year we were still completely winless at this point.

Go Lions!

We were already a fab five before Power. Reckon Shaun Hart gets forgotten a bit too much. Very under rated for a Norm Smith medalist. If Bradshaw didn't smash his jaw apart in the 04 prelim I reckon the granny would've been much different. Meh, que sera sera

re: Rich, on the Sunday footy show during our game discussion someone (maybe Lloyd) said to Kane Cornes (who does the rolling all Australian) that rich (who got votes) would be in AA contention this year and Cornes agreed. It was a brief discussion, almost an aside but at least 2 of the media are thinking about him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back