The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We're the new Hawthorn. Except we don't play that crappy boring game style that Wayne Carey hates.

Seriously though it's certainly a feather in the cap (Bell style) for the medical & physio team. You'd have to think it would be a factor that players consider now when considering moving clubs.
Had to be a huge reason why Adams and McCarthy came here. Was an article saying as much as well I believe.

Gadzorks? Opinion on this post?

Sigh as I shake my head (after having said many censored words loudly).

The club is sitting a fabulous feel good story about a magnificent servant of the club.

The reformed bad boy working diligently for years to hone his craft and continue to improve to pay the club back for taking a chance on him. And using his own story , time and money (via his wife's cooking) to help create an inclusive family environment and help young men settle into our club, which is far away from their own families and any dreams they had of regularly strutting through the Afl heartland and receiving adulation form Afl mad punters. And all the while being one of two players the coach says gets the energy going at training and in games.

Top five in our team weekly!!! Mitch is not a fringe player, he's a critical plank in our current success.

Stop quibbling about number of years and pay up. Show some respect lions admin/ coaching staff. Get a contract in front if this man immediately.

This did start tounge in cheek but it's festering now!!!

Sigh as I shake my head (after having said many censored words loudly).

Top five in our team weekly!!! Mitch is not a fringe player, he's a critical plank in our current success.

Stop quibbling about number of years and pay up. Show some respect lions admin/ coaching staff. Get a contract in front if this man immediately.

This did start tounge in cheek but it's festering now!!!

If I was Mitch & his manager I'd be happy the longer it takes. With every top 5 finish / best on ground performance his negotiating position strengthens, both in terms of length of contract & pay scale.

Mitch strikes me as the kind of person that's best footy will come out on yearly based contracts. He has had a great season. Probs top 3 in BnF at the moment. Keep him hungry I say.

With Ballenden signing on that means we have extended the contracts of each of our 2017 draftees - we also did the same with all of our 2016 draftees. No guarantee they will all be good senior players but if you lose them after 2 years you will never know.

Given the position we were in at the end of 2016 and the horrible draftee retention we had from 2010-2016ish its amazing how far we have come.

Mitch strikes me as the kind of person that's best footy will come out on yearly based contracts. He has had a great season. Probs top 3 in BnF at the moment. Keep him hungry I say.

Lol, that's pretty insulting & derogatory to be honest. You don't really respect someone if you treat them like that. If our club actually took that position I'd be embarrassed. It'd reek of amateur hour.

Lol, that's pretty insulting & derogatory to be honest. You don't really respect someone if you treat them like that. If our club actually took that position I'd be embarrassed. It'd reek of amateur hour.

i dont think it is insulting and derogatory at all. Some players play better when on the edge, Mitch is one. Really dont see the issue here at all. He is being employed at the club when we gave him an opportunity when noone else did (Dont think anyone else did, maybe Richmond?). He still gets payed a lot of money, its not in any doubt he will get a contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nahhh. Many professionals around the world are on 12 month contracts.

If I was Mitch & his manager I'd be happy the longer it takes. With every top 5 finish / best on ground performance his negotiating position strengthens, both in terms of length of contract & pay scale.

Yes but on the flip side he does a significant injury next week and his career is basically over.

You've expressed your view on it but you don't really explain why. It's possible to respect someone without signing them up to a long term contract - even our superstar guys like Black were on one year extensions (2010-2013 in his case) and I don't think anyone can make a case that we didn't respect them.

You've expressed your view on it but you don't really explain why. It's possible to respect someone without signing them up to a long term contract - even our superstar guys like Black were on one year extensions (2010-2013 in his case) and I don't think anyone can make a case that we didn't respect them.
Absolutely love Robbo. Respect him and his ability to turn his career/life around. I just think bangy was having a pot shot at me.

Surely if a player is over 30 you're not giving him more than a 1 year contract if you aren't confident if in the 2nd year he'd be best 22. This applies to Mitch.

I'd be very surprised if at the end of next season he hasn't been overtaken by someone like Starcevich.

Surely if a player is over 30 you're not giving him more than a 1 year contract if you aren't confident if in the 2nd year he'd be best 22. This applies to Mitch.

I'd be very surprised if at the end of next season he hasn't been overtaken by someone like Starcevich.

I'm not ready to go there yet with Starce - haven't seen enough exposed senior form though I do like what I've seen. Not sure he will end up playing the same position as Robbo in 2 years time either.

I think with Robbo it would be easy enough to do a 1 year deal with a trigger for a second year - covers off the potential risk he wouldn't be best 22 going into year 2 of the deal. I'm comfortable with 1 year deals but if you were going to do a 2 year extension that's the structure I'd look at.

No problem with players being on one year contracts at all, just the notion that you have to give Mitch a one year contract to get the best out of him is something that I find insulting. If there is one player that I think you would still get 100% heart & commitment from regardless, then it would be him. If his form warrants more than a one year contract, there's space in the cap then you reward his form.

If we're in the fortunate position where we're not sure we'll have a spot on our list for him in 2021, if there are doubts over his body or if it's just a general club rule for over 30's like a Logan's Run thing then no probs.

Last edited:
No problem with players being on one year contracts at all, just the notion that you have to give Mitch a one year contract to get the best out of him is something that I find insulting. If there is one player that I think you would still get 100% heart & commitment from regardless, then it would be him. If his form warrants more than a one year contract, there's space in the cap then you reward his form.

If we're in the fortunate position where we're not sure we'll have a spot on our list for him in 2021, if there are doubts over his body or if it's just a general club rule for over 30's like a Logan's Run thing then no probs.
I believe this is the most likely scenario.

We're in for a genuine list squeeze at the end of this year, and 2020 will likely be tighter. Draft rules are that teams MUST take three picks to the draft, this can include upgraded rookies.

Out of Contract By Year

2019:
Ryan Bastinac (R)
Stefan Martin
Lewis Taylor
Tom Cutler
Ben Keays
Sam Skinner
Daniel McStay
Nicholas Robertson
Corey Lyons
Luke Hodge
Allen Christensen
Matt Eagles (R)
Mitchell Hinge (R)
Mitch Robinson
Josh Walker
Ryan Lester

2020:
Cedric Cox
Eric Hipwood
Jacob Allison (R)
Alex Witherden
Jack Payne
Toby Wooller
Ely Smith

I believe this is the most likely scenario.

We're in for a genuine list squeeze at the end of this year, and 2020 will likely be tighter. Draft rules are that teams MUST take three picks to the draft, this can include upgraded rookies.

Out of Contract By Year

2019:
Ryan Bastinac (R)
Stefan Martin
Lewis Taylor
Tom Cutler
Ben Keays
Sam Skinner
Daniel McStay
Nicholas Robertson
Corey Lyons
Luke Hodge
Allen Christensen
Matt Eagles (R)
Mitchell Hinge (R)
Mitch Robinson
Josh Walker
Ryan Lester

2020:
Cedric Cox
Eric Hipwood
Jacob Allison (R)
Alex Witherden
Jack Payne
Toby Wooller
Ely Smith

We'll probably give at least a couple of the 2019 OOC players (Robbo, Lester, CLyons, etc.) 1 year contracts and their time might be up in 2020.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back