The positives thread

Freo, Hawks, Carlton, Saints and Melbourne are the next five - huge opportunity to lock in a finals spot 😍

Wouldn't it be nice to be one of those clubs near the end of the season who are mathematically guaranteed a finals berth and the main focus is on making sure you get a home final ...

Credit where it's due - I was under the impression we were riding a wave of wins, once we hit our first loss the momentum will be gone and we will fall away to respectable losses. I really thought we'll end up where St.Kilda is on ladder presently.

Well done to Fagan and coaching group for making the players believe. Granted we are not a slick team yet, we are not playing our best footy consistently for 4 quarters week in week out, but we are toughing it out and are grinding out wins. I can't wait to see what this team might do when it clicks into gear fully and goes bang !

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Wouldn't it be nice to be one of those clubs near the end of the season who are mathematically guaranteed a finals berth and the main focus is on making sure you get a home final ...
To be absolutely honest I am just looking forward to not hearing "we may not be playing finals but we can shake the 8 up abit".

Panthera

Premiership Player
Feb 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I feel a massive positive has been the gameplan as for mine, only 5 players have had a career year so far:

Neale
McCluggage
Robinson
Rich
Walker

There's plenty of time for a host of young players to improve throughout 2019, especially Rayner, Witherden, Hipwood, Berry and McStay. All have been up and down for the most part.

Also 4th in Points, Inside 50's and Clearances across the AFL :heavycheck::heavycheck::heavycheck:

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Harris Andrews, Charlie Cameron and Lachie Neale in the afl.com team of the week, Daniel Rich a little unlucky to miss out.

Lachie Neale as near as a certainty for AA selection as you can get this early in the season and has to be a strong chance of being our first Brownlow winner since Simon Black.

I reckon Neale will go a fair way in the Brownlow count as well. He's brought his own footy to most of our games this season and his work rate under packs is sublime.

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I feel a massive positive has been the gameplan as for mine, only 5 players have had a career year so far:

Neale
McCluggage
Robinson
Rich
Walker

There's plenty of time for a host of young players to improve throughout 2019, especially Rayner, Witherden, Hipwood, Berry and McStay. All have been up and down for the most part.

Also 4th in Points, Inside 50's and Clearances across the AFL :heavycheck::heavycheck::heavycheck:
I was just wondering today if Starc hadn't got injured would he be a regular out there today? He has proven his vision and foot skills are excellent..... which we lack at times..... he just hasn't been an accumulator yet.

I was just wondering today if Starc hadn't got injured would he be a regular out there today? He has proven his vision and foot skills are excellent..... which we lack at times..... he just hasn't been an accumulator yet.

If Starc is fit and training well, I would not be surprised if we considered bringing him to Perth as an emergency to see his family.

Heard this morning that the Lions, in the last 4 weeks have the highest average pressure rating in the AFL.
A pressure rating of over 190!
The highest average since Richmond in their premiership year.
Will be interesting to see if we can keep it up.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Heard this morning that the Lions, in the last 4 weeks have the highest average pressure rating in the AFL.
WOW! I knew our pressure had been good but I didn't know it has been at that level, although what are the markers/indicators for the pressure rating stat?

Our scores against in those 4 weeks have been 62, 81, 92 and 92 so it doesn't seem to have been converted into keeping sides to abnormally low scores except for the Suns game which everyone is doing.

WOW! I knew our pressure had been good but I didn't know it has been at that level, although what are the markers/indicators for the pressure rating stat?

Our scores against in those 4 weeks have been 62, 81, 92 and 92 so it doesn't seem to have been converted into keeping sides to abnormally low scores except for the Suns game which everyone is doing.

Yeah, curious as to what makes up this number? You'd have to assume that tackles and effective spoils are part of it. The game against Dogs, Swans & Crows we've kept inside our attacking 50 for big patches of the game so that must have something to do with it as well.

Yeah, curious as to what makes up this number? You'd have to assume that tackles and effective spoils are part of it. The game against Dogs, Swans & Crows we've kept inside our attacking 50 for big patches of the game so that must have something to do with it as well.
Adding to what Gibbo says I would imagine pressure acts within games would play a part in that stat also of which, I would imagine Dayne Zorko is the King.

And in relation to the scores against, I don’t think we have quite mastered the ‘Full Court Press’ as of yet so we are letting far too many goals out the back, because our backs are probably pushing up a little too high.
Once we get a handle on this we will be very hard to score against.
I go back to the Sydney game and a lot of their goals in that game were freakish goals, I think they kicked 2 or 3 off the ground and all of Papleys goals were freaks!

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'd like to see a stat combining pressure acts and first possession. I think it's easier for players like Zorko and Lyons to trail their opponent to the contest and then apply pressure when they win the footy than actually balancing attacking the footy and when you need to apply pressure.

Oct 11, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
From Herald Sun this week:

The Lions are a formidable pressure team. They have laid 64 forward-50 tackles in the past three weeks, the most by a team over a three-week stretch since 2017.

Their pressure rating has been more than 190 in each of their past four matches and the only team to string five in a row since 2013 was Richmond during the 2017 finals series.

From Herald Sun this week:

The Lions are a formidable pressure team. They have laid 64 forward-50 tackles in the past three weeks, the most by a team over a three-week stretch since 2017.

Their pressure rating has been more than 190 in each of their past four matches and the only team to string five in a row since 2013 was Richmond during the 2017 finals series.
Do you have any idea what the AFL average is for this year?
And the Lions average for last year (2018) just to see a comparative.
Or if you can lead me in the direction to find the stat?
Thanks in advance!

BL_dobsmob

Team Captain
Aug 22, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
49ers since 1982
Love the "Dusty Back to his best of his Brownlow year" stories after one good game.

Here are the stats comparing Dusty to Lachie Neale... Just another 10 coaches votes for Lachie Neale as well.

Probably the 4th or 5th time OUR Lachie has done something similar this year

LNeale-vs-DMartin-Rnd9-2019-Basic.png

Dusty Wins
Goals
Behinds
Kicks
Marks
Clangers
Frees For and against

Lachie Wins
Handballs
Disposals