The positives thread

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
My section has heaps of spare seats normally and it was packed this week.

Great for the Club - annoying for me having to listen to people rocking up out of nowhere complaining that we aren’t kicking it forward or aren’t playing man on man ... or wondering who number 6 is.
We sit in GA near the lions race and my wife who sometimes comes has said she has been really annoyed at how many people are actually there. She beleives its easier when there is 6-8k less.

How good is Lachie Neale! I was one who was questioning whether we gave up too much to get him given he would be free the following year and the draft was so strong. How wrong was I! He is an absolute gun and without him this year we would be nowhere near 9-5. The ongoing knock on effect will be significant too with good players now seeing us as a club on the rise and in contention.
I now completely understand why Freo were salty about him leaving. The guy is just something else. And I was genuinely a bit put out when Beams announced he no longer loves us guyz and buggered off, because I felt it was still going to leave a massive gap, hence our interest in getting Neale in to the same team. Absolutely not, Neale plugged it immediately and added more. Now I can't even imagine where Beams would fit in.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Linc McCarthy's last two games. If he can maintain this form then we have the steal of the 2018 trade period.

If we count Lyons as part of the trade period I think he's the steal and Linc is the runner-up.

One of the better trade-periods in recent memory for any team - 3 first team players, one a likely B&F winner, and dealing an older injury-troubled player for two first round picks. If we can ever get Marcus Adams up and going it could get even better.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
In Overall rankings we actually have 4 movers over this time.

Neale 7, J Lyons 45, Stefan Martin 49 & Mitch Robinson 110 (a big jump of 40 places in 3 games)

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Gee I like McCluggage on the bench there. Wouldn't thought he'd be getting recognition just yet, but I guess it's their algos more than anything.

Yes it is the algorithm. But it is over the past 40 games, so McCluggage has earned his spot for now.

For anyone interested in how it works click on link below. Link also has other figures (a link to twitter) up to round 15.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Dan Rich is the one I’m really hopeful of making AA, although I’m not sure I’ve heard any of the footy talking heads genuinely mention him.

IMO, at this stage, Neale and Andrews are locks and Zorko is not far off. I’m just not sure we’ll get four players in the AA side yet.

Dan Rich is the one I’m really hopeful of making AA, although I’m not sure I’ve heard any of the footy talking heads genuinely mention him.

Not sure which podcast it was but someone (maybe David King?) this week mentioned Rich as an All Australian so casually it was like it wasn’t even worth debating. I find it quite interesting because I hadn’t heard it really discussed before.

I suspect he’ll have to play several blinders between now and season’s end to figure in the final 22. They’ll probably pick 3 taller types in the side so that realistically only leaves 3 other spots (I’m assuming at least 3 mids on the bench so likely no defender there). Hurn is an absolute lock and there’s a few guys getting more regular public attention as a half back flanker. Rich really needs a couple of best on ground efforts to draw the public eye.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not sure which podcast it was but someone (maybe David King?) this week mentioned Rich as an All Australian so casually it was like it wasn’t even worth debating. I find it quite interesting because I hadn’t heard it really discussed before.

I suspect he’ll have to play several blinders between now and season’s end to figure in the final 22. They’ll probably pick 3 taller types in the side so that realistically only leaves 3 other spots (I’m assuming at least 3 mids on the bench so likely no defender there). Hurn is an absolute lock and there’s a few guys getting more regular public attention as a half back flanker. Rich really needs a couple of best on ground efforts to draw the public eye.

Stewart another lock in the back 6. Not sure they will pick 3 talls though. Sicily playing forward/Hawthorn being off the ball probably helps Rich's chances.

John_Proctor

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
In the Sunday footy show wrap they talked up rich in the game review and then Kane cornes added him to his rolling all Australian at Whitfield’s expense who has missed a few games through injury.

Andrews already in his team. But he dropped Neale out this week for Ben Cunnington - short memory!!)

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Naive question, what is the public’s input to All Australian?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Naive question, what is the public’s input to All Australian?

None and nor should it but then again, all you ask for his impartiality and no Victorian bias / blinkers on which I think you get all too often with AA selection. If the AA panel want to talk body of walk etc. then Rich is worthy IMO.

Obviously I’m on Rich’s AA bandwagon; toot, toot.

Agree they shouldn’t play a role. But then I don’t really understand POBT’s post referring to Richies need to draw the public eye...

I meant public attention, in the sense that he needs to start being talked up in public forums like the media. The public has no formal role but clearly the media influences how much hype a player gets, which an AA selector isn’t immune from.

Case in point was the hype earlier this year around Darcy Moore. He was playing good, eye-catching footy, getting lots of media love and being spoken about as a near lock for AA at that point, despite Andrews’ form being at least as good as, if not better, at the time.

Whether it is conscious or unconscious, there is a bias towards “big names” for things like All Australian selection. You want to be named regularly in the conversation to maximise your chances of getting selected.

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I meant public attention, in the sense that he needs to start being talked up in public forums like the media. The public has no formal role but clearly the media influences how much hype a player gets, which an AA selector isn’t immune from.

Case in point was the hype earlier this year around Darcy Moore. He was playing good, eye-catching footy, getting lots of media love and being spoken about as a near lock for AA at that point, despite Andrews’ form being at least as good as, if not better, at the time.

Whether it is conscious or unconscious, there is a bias towards “big names” for things like All Australian selection. You want to be named regularly in the conversation to maximise your chances of getting selected.
And it helps to have bleached hair held with a headband flowing as you run down the field

How good is Lachie Neale! I was one who was questioning whether we gave up too much to get him given he would be free the following year and the draft was so strong. How wrong was I! He is an absolute gun and without him this year we would be nowhere near 9-5. The ongoing knock on effect will be significant too with good players now seeing us as a club on the rise and in contention.

More than Neale I am gobsmacked at the no-fuss approach the management is taking towards cutting our losses. Whether its Beams leaving or trading away Schache, there is a clear long term view from the club these days. Yes we will feel the pinch in the interim but we'll be better for it in the long term. Worked out both times, excellent call by the club.

We can rest easy knowing there will be no knee jerk decision making these days.

More than Neale I am gobsmacked at the no-fuss approach the management is taking towards cutting our losses. Whether its Beams leaving or trading away Schache, there is a clear long term view from the club these days. Yes we will feel the pinch in the interim but we'll be better for it in the long term. Worked out both times, excellent call by the club.

We can rest easy knowing there will be no knee jerk decision making these days.

So no fevola again - good

Fwiw autocorrect changed fevola to devil. In a lions thread hmmm

If Marcus Adams can get a good run at it in the seniors and be as good as we think he can be will the trade ins of Lachie Neale, Lincoln McCarthy and Marcus Adams be THE best group of trade ins in the one off season in Lions/Bears history?
Yes. And Neale might ultimately be the best player ever traded in by the Lions which is a big call when you consider the likes of Mal Michael and Martin Pyke (or Charlie Cameron).

Back