The positives thread

paulige

Club Legend
Jul 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If Marcus Adams can get a good run at it in the seniors and be as good as we think he can be will the trade ins of Lachie Neale, Lincoln McCarthy and Marcus Adams be THE best group of trade ins in the one off season in Lions/Bears history?

My question is, where do Neale, McCarthy, Lyons & Adams as a group currently stand in the history of 'players brought in from other clubs in a single off-season' by any club?

Not saying they're near (or at) the top - just wondering if there's any historically highly regarded groups brought in by opposition clubs that spring to mind, to compare to?

And when you also consider what we effectively paid:

Neale: 2272 draft points (~= pick 3)
Adams: 1013 points (~= pick 17) [based on Hawks 3rd rounder currently being pick 40]
McCarthy: 139 draft points (~= pick 62)
Lyons: 0 draft points (~= packet of chips)

Accumulative cost = 3424 draft points, which could be considered either of the following:
  • Picks 1 & 40
  • Picks 5 & 8

Now, if someone came up to me and said "you can have Neale, Lyons, McCarthy, and Adams, for Picks 1 & 40"...

... well, I would laugh all the way to the bank.

In fact, I'd give up Pick 1 & 40 (and then some) for Neale alone.

Summary: Fagnob :heart:

Yes. And Neale might ultimately be the best player ever traded in by the Lions which is a big call when you consider the likes of Mal Michael and Martin Pyke (or Charlie Cameron).
Lynchy

Mr Ripper

Pink-cheeked and robust
Dec 21, 1999
Far North Fitzroy
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC
My question is, where do Neale, McCarthy, Lyons & Adams as a group currently stand in the history of 'players brought in from other clubs in a single off-season' by any club?

Not saying they're near (or at) the top - just wondering if there's any historically highly regarded groups brought in by opposition clubs that spring to mind, to compare to?

And when you also consider what we effectively paid:

Neale: 2272 draft points (~= pick 3)
Adams: 1013 points (~= pick 17) [based on Hawks 3rd rounder currently being pick 40]
McCarthy: 139 draft points (~= pick 62)
Lyons: 0 draft points (~= packet of chips)

Accumulative cost = 3424 draft points, which could be considered either of the following:
  • Picks 1 & 40
  • Picks 5 & 8

Now, if someone came up to me and said "you can have Neale, Lyons, McCarthy, and Adams, for Picks 1 & 40"...

... well, I would laugh all the way to the bank.

In fact, I'd give up Pick 1 & 40 (and then some) for Neale alone.

Summary: Fagnob :heart:
Think the 1986 Sydney Swans have us comfortably covered.

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Its a lovely conundrum to have!

Lyons has shown the ability to be really calm and smart in the I50, setting up and scoring his own, and McCarthy is showing his strengths up the field, and even in the clearances now. Its a tie for me at the moment. Over the long run (5+ years) I think McCarthy by a whisker. The 6 goals he kicks in our 3rd title will be that final push :):)

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
We can not reiterate this enough, THE most positive thing that has happened at our club for a long long time.

paulige

Club Legend
Jul 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We have a 4-1 record against top 8 sides.

And as long as Richmond beat GWS by a smallish margin, we’ll likely stay 4th for another week (unless we’re belted).

Which leads me to my final point - we’ll know by the start of our match whether or not a win will put us a game and % clear in the top 4 😳

... and actual final point - a win will almost certainly see us move into 3rd, unless both Collingwood and us win by <10 points or thereabouts.

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
We have a 4-1 record against top 8 sides.

And as long as Richmond beat GWS by a smallish margin, we’ll likely stay 4th for another week (unless we’re belted).

Which leads me to my final point - we’ll know by the start of our match whether or not a win will put us a game and % clear in the top 4 😳

... and actual final point - a win will almost certainly see us move into 3rd, unless both Collingwood and us win by <10 points or thereabouts.
Congratulations on your season so far - you have exceeded everyone's expectations, including your own Club I would imagine.👍
Doesn't matter who you have beaten so far as during the H&A it's all on the day but come finals it all starts over again and everybody in the 8 has zero win/loss ratio and has a chance of taking out the flag (usually need to be in the top 4 although the Bulldogs expelled that theory in 2016). May the best team win at year's end and not too many injuries between now and then.🤔

paulige

Club Legend
Jul 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Congratulations on your season so far - you have exceeded everyone's expectations, including your own Club I would imagine.👍
Doesn't matter who you have beaten so far as during the H&A it's all on the day but come finals it all starts over again and everybody in the 8 has zero win/loss ratio and has a chance of taking out the flag (usually need to be in the top 4 although the Bulldogs expelled that theory in 2016). May the best team win at year's end and not too many injuries between now and then.🤔

Likewise - my reference to our record VS top 8 isn’t so much a comment on our chances in September, but just following the theme of this thread.. 😉

That said, I don’t think it hurts coming across a team you know you’ve beaten in the preceding 6 months, regardless of how it happened.

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Fagan mentioned that we've tightened up our defence a lot after maybe.. round 7 or so? might need to check the presser again. And are around the 6th best def at the moment since that week. Now where on earth can i find this data!? So many different stat websites that confuse me. (i just want to find points conceded, within a certain time frame, ordered by teams.. too hard for me)

anyway, that our defence has gone from something like 130p 3 years ago to whatever we are now is awesome. And i put it down to Andrews and Gardiner. Others have come good this year (rich hodge and some younguns).

I remember i used to close my eyes sometimes when the high ball was coming in.. but now the highlights of the match are whether Andrews will save us with his fist or his mark :D

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.
Yes. And Neale might ultimately be the best player ever traded in by the Lions which is a big call when you consider the likes of Mal Michael and Martin Pyke (or Charlie Cameron).
Yes, Lachie Neale might ultimately be the best player ever traded in by the Lions. No need to consider Mal Michael or Martin Pike, it's a big call when you consider Bernie Quinlan. I hope he can.

Last edited:

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
How on earth did that actually ever happen?

Daylight robbery.

I'm starting to worry that the AFL Integrity Unit might come knocking. :drunk:
Beggars belief that Gold Coast just let Lyons walk to us for nothing. I feel like there’s more to it but ultimately don’t really care given the massive free hit we received as a result.

Mar 13, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Bruins, Dodgers, Bulls, SEM Phoenix
Beggars belief that Gold Coast just let Lyons walk to us for nothing. I feel like there’s more to it but ultimately don’t really care given the massive free hit we received as a result.
There has always been talk (on this board at least) that it was unofficially linked with the pick swap that we probably paid overs on.

Back