The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We have won as many games in the last 5 weeks as we did for the whole of 2018!
One more win and we've tied the wins for the last three years combined.

Go 4-1 and win our first final and we've tied the wins for the last four years combined.

I'm pretty sure I made a joking post about managing that earlier in the year. Silly me.

One more win and we've tied the wins for the last three years combined.

Go 4-1 and win our first final and we've tied the wins for the last four years combined.

I'm pretty sure I made a joking post about managing that earlier in the year. Silly me.

Prescient you. Now if you could just work on next week’s lotto numbers and pass them on I’d be very happy.

Prescient you. Now if you could just work on next week’s lotto numbers and pass them on I’d be very happy.
Only works if I'm joking, so give 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 a go.

I'm not a fan of 2 meter Peter, too cumbersome for my liking, I'd gladly take Ben Ainsworth and/or Ben King/Jack Lukosius off their hands for a 3rd rounder though :D.
I’ve actually given this a bit of thought, as if GC folded and was shipped off to Tasmania.

I’d rather take Jack Bowes and a couple of the other academy kids on their list or about to be drafted. And then roll their academy in to ours.

I’ve actually given this a bit of thought, as if GC folded and was shipped off to Tasmania.

I’d rather take Jack Bowes and a couple of the other academy kids on their list or about to be drafted. And then roll their academy in to ours.

If GC was shipped off to Tasmania they'd take their players with them...

If GC was shipped off to Tasmania they'd take their players with them...

Unless it was just the license that was shipped allowing the comp to stay 18 and Tassie to have their homegrown vibe.

Did the guys we picked from the Fitzroy list get a choice of whether they came or was it just you guys are the chosen ones? Hypothetically the start up concessions for Tassie might include their choice of xx listed Suns' players?

Unless it was just the license that was shipped allowing the comp to stay 18 and Tassie to have their homegrown vibe.

Did the guys we picked from the Fitzroy list get a choice of whether they came or was it just you guys are the chosen ones? Hypothetically the start up concessions for Tassie might include their choice of xx listed Suns' players?

South Melbourne moving to Sydney kept all their players (that wanted to keep playing) I believe.

North Melbourne was going to keep all their players in the move to the Gold Coast.

I believe the Fitzroy merger guys were forced to come (though IIRC some got traded before they moved?).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

South Melbourne moving to Sydney kept all their players (that wanted to keep playing) I believe.

North Melbourne was going to keep all their players in the move to the Gold Coast.

I believe the Fitzroy merger guys were forced to come (though IIRC some got traded before they moved?).
IIRC the Bears were able to choose 6? players and they had a choice to agree or not. Primus was one who was asked and did not want to come so went to PA.

Did the guys we picked from the Fitzroy list get a choice of whether they came or was it just you guys are the chosen ones?

John Northey said in 2017 that while he did have an input into which eight Fitzroy players were going to be approached to make the move north, little research was put into the selection process. "(Players were selected) only because we went and watched them play. We didn’t go and speak to the club (Fitzroy) at all (about them)"

It waa Northey who wanted Matthew Primus. "I actually brought Primus up. I said, well here is a fellow who is a terrific ruckman, and then I was told (by administrators), “No, he won’t come to Brisbane.”

Fitzroy players definitely had a choice. They were essentially uncontracted and the Bears had to approach them, persuade them to come to the club and then pre-sign them before the 1996 Draft was held. The remaining pool of Fitzroy players were eligible for the draft and were selected by other clubs as per the normal draft mechanism.

Matthew Primus "I was happy with how the year [at Fitzroy] went, but I wanted to go to a club that was about being successful and give me the best chance to play my best footy and to play in a premiership eventually, and Port came knocking at the end of that year…I had knew a bit about them, I played against them at Norwood and I decided to make the move back over to Adelaide again. I spoke to a few clubs, it was a matter of deciding where to go and what to do, that took a bit of time.

Last edited:
John Northey said in 2017 that while he did have an input into which eight Fitzroy players were going to be approached to make the move north, little research was put into the selection process. "(Players were selected) only because we went and watched them play. We didn’t go and speak to the club (Fitzroy) at all (about them)"

Cannot imagine this happening in this day & age. How the game has got professional over the last 20 years.

How good is it that at rd18 we have not heard a single 'we may not be playing finals but we can make an impact on the top 8'. I know ive said it before but duck me how good is it.

I don't know, the extra stress at the thought of us actually going a fair distance in finals and maybe even getting to the big dance if we play our best is really getting to me :oops:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back