The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Wins in 5 different states over the last 6 weeks.

Daresay that hasn’t happened many times in the history of the AFL.

Looking forward to the team coming back home and enjoying a win at the noisy Gabba !

This thread began on April 21st 2013 - a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. Of the players that we held high hopes about back then I think only Zorko, Lester and Rich are still at the Lions.

So much has changed, the false starts, the failures, the retirements, the coaches, the infamous Go Home Five, games where we were lambs to the slaughter but still saw rays of hope, the horrible losses, the rare victories, the Miracle on Grass.

Reading through some of the old posts on this thread and seeing hopes raised and then dashed, to be where we are now seems a little surreal. Sometimes it feels we have been down for so long that our current position on the ladder must just be a typo or a dream that we will soon wake up from.

For those who have lived as supporters through those long years, winning and success maybe still feels little odd, surprising, unexpected, a rare treat to be savoured.

But here we are. It has been a hell of a journey. And it’s not over yet.

And he can play all over the place! Was playing more through the midfield today (I think, it's hard to see on TV) and did really well. I really like Lester and even if he doesn't evolve into a superstar he should be an above average role player. Has done well this year with his opportunities at all levels.

LESTER GOES BANG!!!

Pulsade six years ago pretty much nails Lester as a whole. Genuine team player and hopefully makes the team for a game in the finals.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been critical of Zorko in recent years and was unhappy that he would be the captain of this club. This year on the field and even off the field with his media work he has matured so much and has really grown into the role. Fantastic bloke to have leading this club.

Some people only grow up when when they have responsibility land on them and seems that Zorko fits this mould. It's been an impressive step up.

Driving to work this morning thinking about how the boys have been playing I still feel theres an extra few gears in them. Especially the fwd line. I am not saying the fwd line was disappointing on the weekend far from it. I mean imagine a game where Charlie and Hippy kick 10 between them? theres an extra gear ready. Andrews had a relaxing week off, Adams is now starting to get good game fitness, Berry is up and about after a slow start. The last 2 weeks wins were good to get because usually we would drop one if not both. people say teams need to have a loss.... well last 2 weeks we still won.

Thank goodness Hodge, Neale, Cameron have all experienced finals up to the last dance. 2 of those players want to make amends and Hodgey wants to take the mantle of Mr September from Pikey. All looking positive.

Stef's with us for 2020! Loving the buzz about this team, and I do love how genuine he is in his replies to the journos.

I have really grown to love Stef’s media work. So natural and honest!

Longest current streaks of consecutive wins against a single opponent:
  1. Richmond v Brisbane Lions, 12
  2. Adelaide v Gold Coast, 11
  3. Sydney v Brisbane Lions, 11
  4. Sydney v St Kilda, 9
  5. Port Adelaide v Gold Coast, 9
  6. Geelong v Brisbane Lions, 8
  7. Adelaide v St Kilda, 8
  8. Richmond v Essendon, 8
  9. Richmond v Carlton, 8
  10. Adelaide v Brisbane Lions, 7 [This wasn't top 10 at the beginning of the year...]
:(

We've already broken streaks of 8 (WCE, formerly =6th) and 6 (NM) this year. We've also got streaks of 6 losses to GWS and 5 to Port and a bunch of teams at 4.
Updated.

Bulldogs streak is up to 5 though and Pies to 6. :(
More updates!

The last two streaks in the top 10 are in round 22 and 23. Given our record this year I'm tipping us to win both now!

(Collingwood's six will have to wait until finals.)

I owe Christiansen an apology. I thought he was done after his average 2018 and poor 2 games in 2019. It seems that foot injury has taken a while to really get over. He is playing a very team oriented role and doing the 1 percenters well. Really earnt his spot and another contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back