M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Have you ever heard such vocal lions supports in the first quarter of any game anywhere? Gabba was on fire early on Saturday. Incredible atmosphere!
Yeah that first quarter was pretty electric.
Yep, it was absolutely fantastically amazing, I was actually getting emotional about the vibe in the joint, lump in the throat, goosebumps, overwhelmed, what a bloody old sook I am.:'(:oldman:

Surly Boy

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2011
Brisneyland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Good news...

"Brisbane has secured a financial windfall of about $1.2 million over the next three years, with the State Government striking a deal with the AFL to lock away the Easter Thursday clash at the Gabba.
Major drawcard Collingwood will be the opponent for the next two years, while 2022 will see one of the other big clubs head north."

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Good news...

"Brisbane has secured a financial windfall of about $1.2 million over the next three years, with the State Government striking a deal with the AFL to lock away the Easter Thursday clash at the Gabba.
Major drawcard Collingwood will be the opponent for the next two years, while 2022 will see one of the other big clubs head north."
So what would the State Government's financial role in this be - free public transport?

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Collingwood lost a PF in a boilover:)

Good news...

"Brisbane" as in the club or the town? And if the club, what does the $1.2m represent? My understanding from what Lions_Insider has said is that with sell-out crowds we get the corporate box revenue but nothing from general gate receipts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Brisbane" as in the club or the town? And if the club, what does the $1.2m represent? My understanding from what Lions_Insider has said is that with sell-out crowds we get the corporate box revenue but nothing from general gate receipts.

That was in reference to the finals. AFL pretty much takes all, home and away season the lions get the $$

We end our season in a very close finals loss at home rather than this.

Have to think it’s so much better for long term morale.

Agreed. I was reflecting again the other day and can't help but think it's pretty incredible how well we did considering we had seven players with 1-3 years experience in finals. It speaks to the quality of those players, but is also a reminder that there is a crapload of development left in our group and an undefeated reserves team waiting for their chance. Exciting stuff.

BigCat2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We end our season in a very close finals loss at home rather than this.

Have to think it’s so much better for long term morale.
Yep. Unless you're a genuine shot at the premiership, it is better to underachieving than to overachieve, results wise. Look at us last year - only 5 wins but played much better than that, with the players coming back hungry knowng they're better than a 5 win team. Similarly this year - better to lose the finals but to know that had things gone our way we could have got there's than limp over and get belted the following week.

Mar 20, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Made me smile.

"The rapidly growing young athlete is fitted with a new prosthetic leg each year and even has her own supporter prosthetic thanks to her favourite AFL team, the Brisbane Lions."

11554550-3x2-700x467.jpg

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
my very tentative venture into NFL i remember being so happy to see they have a Medal at the end of each year for the player who gives the most back to he community (or something to that effect). Is there something similar in the AFL? I read many articles especially among the indigenous players and their work (Hardbrow was one i remember, and i think Christensen) really great to see how many players use their role to help others.

my very tentative venture into NFL i remember being so happy to see they have a Medal at the end of each year for the player who gives the most back to he community (or something to that effect). Is there something similar in the AFL? I read many articles especially among the indigenous players and their work (Hardbrow was one i remember, and i think Christensen) really great to see how many players use their role to help others.
They do, the Jim Stynes medal. It was given out on Brownlow night (right about when I tuned in, hence the knowledge).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back