No Opposition Supporters The Positivity Thread - 2019 Edition (Rules Strictly Enforced - See Post 1)

Walshy1

Team Captain
Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Big opportunity for the team to step up this week for a tough game against the Eagles. Kind of excited to see how we go even though we will most likely lose

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Monument Hills

All Australian
Dec 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wildcats Cockburn Watersliders
Haven't watched the game from Sat. (was out for my birthday). Just hoped for a loss of less than 60 points. Was pleasantly surprised that a Fyfeless Freo that had an off night in front of goals nearly pipped the premiers on their own turf in front of their booing fans.

As I said b4 the season started, there are a lot of new faces and it will take time for everything to gel. Looking forward to the second half of the season when we get some of our players back and they've had more time playing together.

FreoMonocle

Premium Gold
Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Haven't watched the game from Sat. (was out for my birthday). Just hoped for a loss of less than 60 points. Was pleasantly surprised that a Fyfeless Freo that had an off night in front of goals nearly pipped the premiers on their own turf in front of their booing fans.
More than Fyfe, a midfield missing SHill, Sandi and Blakely. Also Being a man down in q2. That was a gutsy effort, missing so much of our midfield and a KPD against their forward line (one of the best tall set ups in the league), there is no way that we should have come close and yet we did. Well done boys :thumbsu:

MadMundy

Team Captain
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
Positive thoughts on some players so far this season

Cam McCarthy- looks to have finally found his feet as the 3rd tall in our team. He's already kicked half of the goals he kicked last year and he looks to continue his good form. Easily our most reliable kick in the team. If he's got it inside 50 or just outside, it's a guaranteed goal.

Brandon Matera- Only played two games so far but looks to have improved leaps and bounds from last year. For one they're actually playing him forward which will help the process, but he also seems to be putting more effort into his game this year, hope him and Switkowski can tear it up as our smalls.

Brad Hill- After an injury riddled 2018 the guy looks to have recaptured his 2017 form. One of the hardest runners in the team and a key player of our midfield.

Adam Cerra- What can I say, the guy has the smoothest disposal and disposal efficiency in our team. The guy knows what he's doing, got a great footballing brain and will only continue to improve.

Matt Taberner- Despite his fellow forward McCarthy kicking the majority of the goals for us, Taberner has been our overall best forward so far this season. Our most reliable contested mark, and a relatively decent shot on goal, he always manages to get himself involved in the contest.

Monument Hills

All Australian
Dec 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wildcats Cockburn Watersliders
I reckon getting getting Shill and Blakely back on the field for a couple of the weaker players and the second half of the season is potentially looking bright. Concussion aside which is a 1 weeker, we really haven't been hit too hard on field during the games so far this year.

hoss

Norm Smith Medallist
May 28, 2004
South
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm another who can see some positives and think another 3-4 weeks of gelling, along with getting Blakeley and Fyfe back, should bring a good second half of the season. Backline is pretty much set, midfield will be strengthened and forwards will be starting to play for each other - already starting to see the signs.

On Pixel 2 using BigFooty.com mobile app

kingswood71

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2010
The Mid-West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Perth.
I'm another who can see some positives and think another 3-4 weeks of gelling, along with getting Blakeley and Fyfe back, should bring a good second half of the season. Backline is pretty much set, midfield will be strengthened and forwards will be starting to play for each other - already starting to see the signs.

On Pixel 2 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Big thumbs up from me mate :) :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

PurpleReign

All Australian
Jan 29, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I thought Switta’s game was quite good considering his TOG. I love his intent, 6 tackles is quite impressive. I reckon he has the polish to finish off his work too, more so than Schultz. I hope he can string some games together.

arsesmart

Team Captain
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thirteen points. It's not so bad given the disparity in potential improvement between the two sides by the time they're next scheduled to meet.

Who are they going to bring in that'll make them substantially better? Natakneey & Jetta? Try Fyfe, Blakely, Darcy, Cox, Hill, Logue. Plus a better conditioned and integrated Hogan. While Bennell & Sandi, are more chimeric, if they could offer anything substantial on the field, sheesh.

Even if you think the WC could improve their connectivity from Saturday night, they've been relatively stable over the last two off seasons. Freo have made huge changes in the same time and it'd be fair to say the level of improvement they could make to their connectivity by greater playing time together would have to be much greater.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ysaye

Premiership Player
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I thought Hogan took another step forward on the weekend; TBH I wasn't expecting him to even play till around round 4 so it does feel a bit of a bonus to have him 3 games in already. When Blakely comes back to give us more of the ball he should be just about ready to break and be uber-dangerous.

Piggy Smalls

Rookie
Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’m really pumped and optimistic about this season after the start to the season we have had. I’m a footy tragic and watch 5-6 games a week (I’m still the Damian Drum of the Fantasy League though) regardless of whether Freo are winning or losing, but when we are winning/competing it really does make the footy season so much more enjoyable.

I honestly think if we can stay healthy and maintain the effort and hardness around the contests we will create enough chances to be right in most games up to our eyeballs. We’ve got a 2012ish vibe this year but in my opinion a more balanced team, perhaps not with the depth or experience just yet.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Momentum is building looking at our current form and the helpful squiggle we actually have alot of 50/50 games for the rest of the year.

Freo v Port - 50/50
Melbourne v Freo - 50/50
Freo v Carlton - WIN
Freo vs WCE - 50/50
Hawks vs Freo - LOSS
Freo vs Swans - WIN
Bulldogs vs Freo - 50/50
Freo vs Geelong - 50/50
Saints vs Freo - 50/50
Freo vs Essendon - WIN
Port vs Freo - LOSS

We could end up anywhere from 15 wins to 9. Still a respectable result.

salim malik

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 14, 2008
Paradise on Earth.
AFL Club
Fremantle
The midfield with the addition of SHill and Bennell will consist of Fyfe, Mundy, Walters, Blakely, SHill, Bennell, BHill, Langdon,Conca,Brayshaw, Cerra.
That group is as good as any in the comp and even with the loss of the 3 bigs we can still give the finals a shake.
Logue, Darcy and McCarthy aren't at the calibre yet of the big 3 but can fill the void.
It's still possible:thumbsu:

heavho

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
fremantle
Realistically we have a chance to win most of the remaining games except for probably the cats. All the rest we have a good chance to win imo

Joao

Norm Smith Medallist
May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Realistically we have a chance to win most of the remaining games except for probably the cats. All the rest we have a good chance to win imo
You are obviously not as scarred as me by the Hawks.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
We’re improving! We’re a completely different side to the one last year, in the preseason and even in a few of the earlier games this year which doesn’t get much more positive.

Righteo

Purple Campaigner
Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Celtics - The Brew Crew
You are obviously not as scarred as me by the Hawks.
They are the ultimate bogey side but the GWS and Pies away wins give me the smallest, faintest glimmer of hope. If we're ever going to beat them outside of Perth again then this is the year.

Joao

Norm Smith Medallist
May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
They are the ultimate bogey side but the GWS and Pies away wins give me the smallest, faintest glimmer of hope. If we're ever going to beat them outside of Perth again then this is the year.
Despite being completely mediocre in general, they have still managed their customary battering of Adelaide (which is almost as much of a bogey as us). That plus that demolition of GWS has maintained a respectful amount of fear.

Righteo

Purple Campaigner
Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Celtics - The Brew Crew
Despite being completely mediocre in general, they have still managed their customary battering of Adelaide (which is almost as much of a bogey as us). That plus that demolition of GWS has maintained a respectful amount of fear.
No doubt, that's why it's just a glimmer. Playing any other mid-range team in similar circumstances and i'd say it would be at least 50/50. God I ******* hope we beat them and i'm sure to the players it would be as big as any win this year. Forgot 2012, if we were to win that we'd be lookng at more of a 2006-type trajectory (yes im getting ahead of myself)

heavho

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
fremantle
The hawks just lost to Essendon. They are nowhere near the hawks of the past few years. They are on a steady dive down the ladder. They still have a few good players but they need to rebuild with youth imo

Top Bottom