Toast The Positivity Thread - A Place to Share Feel Good Moments

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
I think I speak for us all when I say the world is a really dark, gloomy place at the moment. Turning on the news delivers little but news of new restrictions about what freedoms we no longer have, updates about what every government except ours in the world is doing, and social media provides little relief from this. We've barely any sport to watch to scratch our itch either.

That's why I think it'd be good for us to have a place we can share any positive experiences or stories we've got at the moment, to try and switch off and forget about this depressing situation even if its just for a little bit.

I'll start with this; some of you may know since August I've been on a major weight loss journey to try and turn my life around, and this week just gone I passed the 20kg barrier, currently sitting at 21kg lost since August. I'm absolutely stoked with myself.

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
I was mentally cooked yesterday after work, then my chiro cracked my neck real good and my son gave me a huge cuddle while we watched a bit of the Cars movie and I forgot all the troubles of the world 🥰
That’s what it’s about 💪🏻

Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
I was mentally cooked yesterday after work, then my chiro cracked my neck real good and my son gave me a huge cuddle while we watched a bit of the Cars movie and I forgot all the troubles of the world 🥰
I've been mentally cooked for weeks but work still has a project that absolutely has to be completed on time. So yay.

But I went in to IGA this morning and saw everyone social distancing in the check-out queues, and that made me happy.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Underrated movie

We've created a Cars junkie though. It all started when we were gifted boxes of old cars and trucks by a family friend. Then we scored a Disney login and showed him the movie. Now when he wakes up in the morning he says "a carrr!" and grabs my hand to pull me into the theatre to watch it haha. Started telling him the cars are still asleep so he can't watch it but he can play with his cars instead 🙄

This lock in gon' be fun!

I have dug up my massive collection of Lego to play with my son.

Man i love Lego.
Lego is the best. Huge Marvel nerd which adds to it, but some of those Marvel Lego kits from the last few years are so awesome. Dropped far more money than is sensible on those - no kids, just me.

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Lego is the best. Huge Marvel nerd which adds to it, but some of those Marvel Lego kits from the last few years are so awesome. Dropped far more money than is sensible on those - no kids, just me.

A few years back my mum managed to find a massive tub at the tip for sale. I had never went though any of it and quite a bit of it is the marvel stuff which i had never had a chance to play with.

Apr 10, 2011
south of the river
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham, 49ers & Scorchers
Playing the new Call off Duty: Warzone at nights with the boys all on the group chat has been a great distraction.

Something so satisfying about your mate driving his helicopter straight into a tree.

May 23, 2010
Chalong 83130
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Demons)
Not heading offshore again for however long and spending every minute with my 10yr old...love it!
Also just watched the highlights package.
Can anyone tell me what Hawks game that was at the 4.40 minute mark please?
Nata

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Here’s a picture of my dog to make you guys smile.
37FA39E7-9C9F-4268-8E13-7336A28057E4.jpeg

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Playing the new Call off Duty: Warzone at nights with the boys all on the group chat has been a great distraction.

Something so satisfying about your mate driving his helicopter straight into a tree.
This is the first Call of Duty me and my mates have all bought and played together and honestly it’s such a throwback to when we all played MW3 and BO2 together. Great memories.

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
On leave for a few months so I will be hitting that games backlog that has been building.

Squeeze in some Path of Exile too.

Some early access and BETA testing as well (Wasteland 3, Vargar, Edge of Eternity).

Been a while since I have had so much free time is a good feeling. Like being a lazy uni student again.

CM9000

BigFooty Optimist
Aug 19, 2016
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I've seen too many movies 2019, so I have a couple of suggestions for people (in no particular order):

1. Parasite: No foreign movie has won the Academy Award for Best Picture in 90 years, until this one. It also became the first South Korean film (and I'm honestly confused by this, since their film industry is absolutely amazing) to win the Palme d'Or, the highest international prize in the world. Personally, for me, this is one of the best films in recent memory, and is mandatory viewing before you die. Parasite is of the same quality as the Godfather - not better than it, at least in my opinion, but in the discussion of GOAT films. I'm being incredibly vague on purpose; preferably, one should go into this totally blind, so don't look up any details if you haven't already.

2. Sorry We Missed You: This film is similar in its themes to Parasite. The director (Ken Loach) won the Palme d'Or in 2016 with a comedian in his first major role in I, Daniel Blake - his second such award, after The Wind That Shakes The Barley did so in 2006. To put that into perspective, only 8 people have won it twice in 80 years, and each one has been from a different country. For a director to pick it up once is an incredible achievement; to do it twice makes you a once in a generation talent. Anyway, I say all this to illustrate that Loach is somehow getting better, even at over 80 years of age. He is one of the greatest directors out there, and I highly recommend his other films.

Anyway, the movie itself uses first time actors you've never heard of, and they're all fantastic. It tells the story of a family on the downturn as the father picks up a gig economy job. Basically, he becomes an Uber Eats driver, except it's just as your usual courier (hauling packages in general). The movie takes a massive s**t on the chest of the model used by companies like Uber to provide their service, and it really does make a blank statement on how exploitive they can be. Sorry We Missed You is a story that needs to be seen by everyone, and I can't recommend it enough.

3. Pain and Glory: If you're a fan of Pedro Almodovar, you've probably already seen this. However, if you're like me, and you've never seen any of his films, it might seem it a bit daunting at first. It really is a tribute to his own long line of brilliant work - nevertheless, I watched it and was absolutely amazed.

He's an incredibly famous Mexican director, who's been in the industry for nearly half his life. A lot of things have happened in between his first motion picture and Pain & Glory, and he pours it all out in this film. There's probably a lot of details about his life he's never revealed before that are showcased in the movie, but they went over my head. Nevertheless, what is there for the uninitiated is breathtaking.

The film is a statement by the director on the troubles of translating his art to the big screen. Of overcoming the scorched earth that his body, the memories holding him down like iron chains, and accepting one's own mistakes and demons. Antonio Panderas (a longtime collaborater of Almodovar, and the actor who's career the director launched) gives the performance of his life. He was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actor for this film, and won the same award at the Cannes Film Festival. To just get a AA Best Actor nomination in a foreign film is absurdly hard, and hopefully it can give an idea of just how good he is in it. IMO it's a must watch.

4. The Lighthouse: It's a horror movie, I'll just say that straight up. And it's set in 1890 off the coast of New England, with two actors using incredibly thick accents, which probably require subtitles to fully decipher. Nonetheless, watch this goddamn movie. It's one of the scariest things I've ever seen, and the experience is so unique and spectacular that I recommend it to just about anyone. Both Willem Defoe and Robert Pattison give performances that really, really should have been, at the very least, nominated. The cinematography, the music, the atmosphere, every single part of it is so meticulously crafted and perfected that is creates an experience that can only be described as a masterpiece.

I don't really want to say a lot, because I think everyone should see it blind, but just watch it as soon as possible.

Aug 14, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardiff City
Here's one for those with younger kids, especially if you are cooped up at home and feel stuck in a re-enactment of The Shining.

The Fart Police.

Essentially, the next time one of the little ones inevitably proceeds to drop their guts and make the place uninhabitable, you put on an act and say something to the effect of "That's it, I'm calling the police".

The kids will laugh and think it's funny - that's when you get the phone start making a call (the person you call has to be in on it of course).

As it is ringing, put it on speaker; it'll get the kids' attention and they will start to second guess if you are really joking.

Now if your accomplice on the other end of the call has a voice modulator or can pull off a robotic-sounding voice of authority, you're set.

Accomplice: Welcome to the Fart Police, please state your suburb.
You: xxxxxxxx
Acc: Thank you, we can confirm there has been anomalous readings in your area. Someone will be dispatched shortly to investigate.
You: Thank you, I appreciate your help.

The kids will now be completely uncertain of what is going on, and start asking questions. This gives you the opportunity to conjure up a detailed story about the Fart Police acting as a special branch of the actual police, fart crime, fart jail and what happens to kids who fart too much.

They will continue to ask questions, but it will be best to now leave it for a bit and let them stew on it.

Now the next time you hear an emergency siren passing outside, you need to act convincingly enough to make the kids believe that it is the Fart Police searching for the source. If they start to get anxious, you then proceed to "negotiate" with them that you will cancel the request (by again calling your accomplice). This sucks them deeper into thinking that it is real.

Once you get this far you can have a lot of fun with it.
  • It doesn't take much to reframe the TV show RBT as the Fart Police searching people with their fart detectors.
  • Shopping mall security can easily be explained as members of the Fart Police.
  • Wall stud-finders can be described as a detector that has been issued to homes due to the high prevalence of farts in the area.

One of the best parts of being a parent is in finding new ways to traumatise your kids. ;)

May 8, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Here's one for those with younger kids, especially if you are cooped up at home and feel stuck in a re-enactment of The Shining.

The Fart Police.

Essentially, the next time one of the little ones inevitably proceeds to drop their guts and make the place uninhabitable, you put on an act and say something to the effect of "That's it, I'm calling the police".

The kids will laugh and think it's funny - that's when you get the phone start making a call (the person you call has to be in on it of course).

As it is ringing, put it on speaker; it'll get the kids' attention and they will start to second guess if you are really joking.

Now if your accomplice on the other end of the call has a voice modulator or can pull off a robotic-sounding voice of authority, you're set.

Accomplice: Welcome to the Fart Police, please state your suburb.
You: xxxxxxxx
Acc: Thank you, we can confirm there has been anomalous readings in your area. Someone will be dispatched shortly to investigate.
You: Thank you, I appreciate your help.

The kids will now be completely uncertain of what is going on, and start asking questions. This gives you the opportunity to conjure up a detailed story about the Fart Police acting as a special branch of the actual police, fart crime, fart jail and what happens to kids who fart too much.

They will continue to ask questions, but it will be best to now leave it for a bit and let them stew on it.

Now the next time you hear an emergency siren passing outside, you need to act convincingly enough to make the kids believe that it is the Fart Police searching for the source. If they start to get anxious, you then proceed to "negotiate" with them that you will cancel the request (by again calling your accomplice). This sucks them deeper into thinking that it is real.

Once you get this far you can have a lot of fun with it.
  • It doesn't take much to reframe the TV show RBT as the Fart Police searching people with their fart detectors.
  • Shopping mall security can easily be explained as members of the Fart Police.
  • Wall stud-finders can be described as a detector that has been issued to homes due to the high prevalence of farts in the area.

One of the best parts of being a parent is in finding new ways to traumatise your kids. ;)
I just tell them to pull my finger.

May 23, 2010
Chalong 83130
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Demons)
Love lego as well, the little blokes got 2 huge trunks of the stuff, wouldn't mind some of the original "Meccano" , preferred it to lego actually.

Back