Toast The Positivity Thread - A Place to Share Feel Good Moments

Remove this Banner Ad

I've seen too many movies 2019, so I have a couple of suggestions for people (in no particular order):

1. Parasite: No foreign movie has won the Academy Award for Best Picture in 90 years, until this one. It also became the first South Korean film (and I'm honestly confused by this, since their film industry is absolutely amazing) to win the Palme d'Or, the highest international prize in the world. Personally, for me, this is one of the best films in recent memory, and is mandatory viewing before you die. Parasite is of the same quality as the Godfather - not better than it, at least in my opinion, but in the discussion of GOAT films. I'm being incredibly vague on purpose; preferably, one should go into this totally blind, so don't look up any details if you haven't already.

2. Sorry We Missed You: This film is similar in its themes to Parasite. The director (Ken Loach) won the Palme d'Or in 2016 with a comedian in his first major role in I, Daniel Blake - his second such award, after The Wind That Shakes The Barley did so in 2006. To put that into perspective, only 8 people have won it twice in 80 years, and each one has been from a different country. For a director to pick it up once is an incredible achievement; to do it twice makes you a once in a generation talent. Anyway, I say all this to illustrate that Loach is somehow getting better, even at over 80 years of age. He is one of the greatest directors out there, and I highly recommend his other films.

Anyway, the movie itself uses first time actors you've never heard of, and they're all fantastic. It tells the story of a family on the downturn as the father picks up a gig economy job. Basically, he becomes an Uber Eats driver, except it's just as your usual courier (hauling packages in general). The movie takes a massive s**t on the chest of the model used by companies like Uber to provide their service, and it really does make a blank statement on how exploitive they can be. Sorry We Missed You is a story that needs to be seen by everyone, and I can't recommend it enough.

3. Pain and Glory: If you're a fan of Pedro Almodovar, you've probably already seen this. However, if you're like me, and you've never seen any of his films, it might seem it a bit daunting at first. It really is a tribute to his own long line of brilliant work - nevertheless, I watched it and was absolutely amazed.

He's an incredibly famous Mexican director, who's been in the industry for nearly half his life. A lot of things have happened in between his first motion picture and Pain & Glory, and he pours it all out in this film. There's probably a lot of details about his life he's never revealed before that are showcased in the movie, but they went over my head. Nevertheless, what is there for the uninitiated is breathtaking.

The film is a statement by the director on the troubles of translating his art to the big screen. Of overcoming the scorched earth that his body, the memories holding him down like iron chains, and accepting one's own mistakes and demons. Antonio Panderas (a longtime collaborater of Almodovar, and the actor who's career the director launched) gives the performance of his life. He was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actor for this film, and won the same award at the Cannes Film Festival. To just get a AA Best Actor nomination in a foreign film is absurdly hard, and hopefully it can give an idea of just how good he is in it. IMO it's a must watch.

4. The Lighthouse: It's a horror movie, I'll just say that straight up. And it's set in 1890 off the coast of New England, with two actors using incredibly thick accents, which probably require subtitles to fully decipher. Nonetheless, watch this goddamn movie. It's one of the scariest things I've ever seen, and the experience is so unique and spectacular that I recommend it to just about anyone. Both Willem Defoe and Robert Pattison give performances that really, really should have been, at the very least, nominated. The cinematography, the music, the atmosphere, every single part of it is so meticulously crafted and perfected that is creates an experience that can only be described as a masterpiece.

I don't really want to say a lot, because I think everyone should see it blind, but just watch it as soon as possible.
Just watched Parasite...great Flick!
Also Lighthouse...really took you down that dark hole of madness-Pattison was the big surprise!
Have the Dvd of Pain+Glory, set to watch soon.
Just started with the new season of Ozark...loved the foulmouthed hillbilly trash girl, but her swearing is starting to annoy me now..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also Lighthouse...really took you down that dark hole of madness-Pattison was the big surprise!
Just started with the new season of Ozark...loved the foulmouthed hillbilly trash girl, but her swearing is starting to annoy me now..
Didn't realise ozark S3 was out, cheers

I rescued a Dragonfly from a spiders web yesterday. after it landed on the ground and started
flapping around trying to untangle itself. this then attracted the attention of the Cat, who does
like herself the taste of some Dragonfly. So i then had to distract the Cat with a more traditional
meal to stop it ruining my heroic act...

For anyone still coming to terms with videoconferencing...at least you're not Jennifer:

And for my fellow Melburnians... help keep the coffee flowing to our doctors and nurses:

(no Perth version yet)

I watched a couple of episodes of s3 Ozarks last night, didn't seem to enjoy it as much as I did previously and yep the girl who I still like as a character's swearing is over the top. Like most shows of this genre the longer it goes the more outlandish the plot lines get.

I watched a couple of episodes of s3 Ozarks last night, didn't seem to enjoy it as much as I did previously and yep the girl who I still like as a character's swearing is over the top. Like most shows of this genre the longer it goes the more outlandish the plot lines get.
Don’t burst my bubble....it’ll be amazing!!

**fingers in ears lalalalala**

You're so right! I loved that little bit o' hillbilly trash, but she's wearing thin in just the 1st episode back?
My concerns as well regarding the longevity of series, they tend to get watered down or outlandish and you just lose interest. Except for Stranger Things, was so whacky anyway, hard to lose interest.

Don’t burst my bubble....it’ll be amazing!!

**fingers in ears lalalalala**
I'm sticking with it...there's a lot of talking and setting up, for the following episodes. I suspect there's going to be mucho aggro to come via mexican cartels...enough said.

I've got one son in Europe and one in Adelaide. I talk to them every couple days now instead of every couple of weeks, as silver linings go it's not much but it's nice.

Take time out for the news man.

My mum was suffering some mild panic attacks until I got her off the news into the garden.

Yes its important to keep up to date but don't submerge yourself in it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back