No Oppo Supporters The Positivity Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We’ll done to Joel Hamling for getting back from what was obviously a very serious injury. He’ll get better with each game he plays & it was great to see him out there on the weekend.
A real positive from a disappointing weekend, one that we must learn from & never let happen again.
Kudos man.

Finding something this week is going above and beyond.

From WTG in drafting thread:

25 And Under Best 22

B Young ~ Logue ~ Chapman
HB Clark ~ Cox ~ Walker
C Johnson ~ Erasmus ~ O'Driscoll
R Darcy ~ Brayshaw ~ Serong
HF Frederick ~ Treacy ~ Switkowski
F Schultz ~ Amiss ~ Sturt

IC/EMG Meek ~ Brodie ~ Tucker ~ Banfield ~ Henry ~ Crowden ~ Western ~ Benning ~ Worner

26yos: Aish, Ryan, Pearce, Acres

We had 15 of those names play on the weekend. 4 of the remaining are only 26yo (Aish, Ryan, Pearce, Acres). Walters, Colyer, Lobb and Hamling the oldies.

IMO, future looks good. Just that the future won't get here in the next few weeks.

After feeling pretty low 2 weeks ago about the state of our midfield & forward line, not to mention some uninspiring gameplay - I’m pretty happy. Kids getting it done in the middle, forward line standing up. 3-1 is a solid base.

The thing that I kept coming back to on my morning walk was how many exciting players we have now.

Even when we were fearsome good in 2013 we were more of a machine, obviously we had talent like Hill, Walters, Pav & Fyfe but it all felt like a well drilled (not quite homogenous but something like that) unit.

Now everywhere I look there are flowers of awesome blooming - Chapman, Young, Cox, Walker, Clark, NOD, Ras, Serong, Brayshaw, Darcy, Freddy, Switta, Shultz all have the capacity to create thrilling moments in the game.

And we still have Sturt, Amiss, Treacy, Johnson, Henry, Western developing in the shed.

And our dual Brownlow Medal winning Captain isn't even playing.

And we have the likes of Hamling, Wilson, Hughes, Blakely as depth.

The thing that I kept coming back to on my morning walk was how many exciting players we have now.

Even when we were fearsome good in 2013 we were more of a machine, obviously we had talent like Hill, Walters, Pav & Fyfe but it all felt like a well drilled (not quite homogenous but something like that) unit.

Now everywhere I look there are flowers of awesome blooming - Chapman, Young, Cox, Walker, Clark, NOD, Ras, Serong, Brayshaw, Darcy, Freddy, Switta, Shultz all have the capacity to create thrilling moments in the game.

And we still have Sturt, Amiss, Treacy, Johnson, Henry, Western developing in the shed.

And our dual Brownlow Medal winning Captain isn't even playing.

And we have the likes of Hamling, Wilson, Hughes, Blakely as depth.

For me it’s less about 2022 and 2023 - it’s about 2024.

Sure, it will be devastating that Mundy and Walters will be done by then - and Fyfe probably in his last season or so - but we had the third youngest team this weekend and managed to outlast a GWS team with far far more mature bodies and who finished in the eight last year.

I look at the following list of our 24 and under players and can’t contain my excitement about what this lot can do when they are a group of 23-28 year olds:

Brayshaw, Cox, Darcy, Serong, Young, Brodie, O’Driscoll, Chapman, Frederick, Erasmus, Clark, Meek, Treacy, Logue, Schultz, Walker, Sturt.

That’s 17 players who have all shown they can perform to a very good AFL standard.

Add in Amiss, Johnson and Henry who are all Top 21 picks and Western who is the fastest of the lot.

If either Treacy or Amiss can become a 50 goal a season key forward then I’d be very confident we will have 4-5 seasons in the Top 4.

I have a lot of time for Buckley (and not just because he was saying nice things about us just then).

His opinions are always thoughtful, fair and well considered with none of the usual shock jock hyperbole. And he clearly does his research.

I have a lot of time for Buckley (and not just because he was saying nice things about us just then).

His opinions are always thoughtful, fair and well considered with none of the usual shock jock hyperbole. And he clearly does his research.
I'm almost rooting for him not to get another coaching gig. Has been very very good in the media.

I think this is probably the most positivity I have heard about us from the Vic media in years.

Makes up somewhat for the fact that we were not even mentioned on AFL daily or AAA
Flogs , screw em .

We need to beat Melbourne , Brisbane or Geelong to be noticed .

Bucks raises a very good point , but it doesn’t paper over the fact that our midfield and forward line need all the planets to line up to function efficiently.
That is improving weekly so not alarmed just yet , that’s why wins of any sort , even bottom 4 clubs are important to hopefully scrape through to the 8 .
Our backline is pretty reliable generally speaking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm almost rooting for him not to get another coaching gig. Has been very very good in the media.

His coaching opportunities came on the back of his previous performances as a pundit in the media. Dude has always been great at it. Unfortunately for him the coaching didn’t quite match the media work.

You could almost say Bucks could have soft spot for Freo with his relationship with Longmuir.

Longmuir's 2 years at collingwood happen to be the best years that Buckley had as coach. Might be a coincidence but certainly i feel Longmuir had an impact at collingwood as an assistant that Buckley appreciates.

Makes up somewhat for the fact that we were not even mentioned on AFL daily or AAA
Flogs , screw em .

Bucks raises a very good point , but it doesn’t paper over the fact that our midfield and forward line need all the planets to line up to function efficiently.
That is improving weekly so not alarmed just yet , that’s why wins of any sort , even bottom 4 clubs are important to hopefully scrape through to the 8 .
Knock off Essendon at Marvel would be a start.

If we want to play finals or even aim for top 6 we have to win this week and make a bit of statement on the road.

I remember 2012 it was a demolition of an in-form north Melbourne who were on a 7 game winning streak without pav where we kicked like 9 goals in final quarter that all of sudden put us on the map under Ross Lyon.

2 weeks later we ambushed Geelong at the MCG in an Elimination final.

But it was the north game where i think everyone realised gee this is a dangerous team.

I think this is probably the most positivity I have heard about us from the Vic media in years.

What is it with this dude and paying respect to us. It even happened when he was head coach of the biggest club in the country and we were doing s**t and Jlo wasn't even on the scene.

I like it though!

Positives - we presently have depth in a club that fielded around 6-12 injuries at the start of every season since about 2011.

The backline has Hamling, Wilson and Hughes who can't get a game- I rate those three very highly.

We have a ruckman in Meek who was dropped after playing an absolute blinder.

Sturt, Treacy, Amiss, Western, Henry and Banfield as forward depth.

Midfield is the lightest but from the weekend missing Fyfe, Serong, Tucker, Blakely and Crowden.

I don't think it can be undersold how vital it is to have this depth spread across the side. Some of those on the bench have so much potential upside too.

So good seeing Sonny back in form and throwing himself around
Adds great pressure and link up in the wings .
So happy our Sonny boy is back .
And to all the knockers ……

40211A5F-94FE-473E-B7F2-472615526407.jpeg

Flogs , screw em .

Por que no los tres? 😉
Compromise Shrug GIF

And it’s worked ✅
They are definitely talking

I’ve never enjoyed listening to footy shows more
If it’s not about how good Freo are it’s about how deplorably bad Wank Coast are
Great time to be alive 😁
best friends laughing GIF by ABB Formula E

Remove this Banner Ad

Back