Jones - Yes
Hanrahan - Yes
Miles - Yes (maybe trade out)
Reeves - Yes
Greaves - Yes
Golds - Yes
Cousins - Yes

Poppy - another year
Miles - no, unless he claims an AFL spot this year for 5 weeks (hope he can, looking doubtful)
Hanrahan - no, sadly. Hasn't the polish needed to capitalise on the little space he finds
Mirra - no, but if we need tall depth then can see it happening

Otherwise I tend to agree on the others Bugs.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Even if some want to bottom out it simply won't happen under Clarkson, he'll simply find a way to scrag 10 wins a season or so, last sunday has convinced me of that. We're going to need to improve dramatically in FA to transform ourselves into a contender again, because we won't be doing it through the draft.

A very busy off-season coming up for the list manager trying to work out who’s staying and who’s going. 24 players out of contract at seasons end. :oops:

Roughead
Frawley
Glass
Birchall
Hardwick
Ceglar
O’Brien
Schoenmakers
Shiels
Pittonet
Puopolo
Jiath
Henderson
Mirra
Moore
Ross
Mohr
Jones
Hanrahan
Miles
Reeves
Greaves
Golds
Cousins
Hardwick and Shiels have re-signed.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Even if some want to bottom out it simply won't happen under Clarkson, he'll simply find a way to scrag 10 wins a season or so, last sunday has convinced me of that. We're going to need to improve dramatically in FA to transform ourselves into a contender again, because we won't be doing it through the draft.
Yeah the only time we'll ever bottom out is once the great man has had enough and calls it quits or moves on. Still worries me a bit to think of a team like Sydney or Adelaide picking up Rowell and Anderson. For me personally I would love to see how Clarko would go having one of those 2 young guns under his tutelage to start their careers.

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Super harsh Davo

We had no choice in 2016 for 1984thorn. If Roughead doesn’t endure cancer, we get very very close.

2017, the year that had to happen, we responded in 2018 with the development of more players and a top four finish. We can’t complain.

I agree at the moment we are looking very ordinary, however we were much the same last season at 5-5 and managed to gel. At the end we endured catastrophic injuries to an inform Stratton, O’Meara and mitchell.

If Mitchell plays, we beat the dogs, saints and Melbourne. That’s how massive he is.

I think the rebuild is on the right track and we need not bottom out.

Brilliant and cheap moves in obtaining scrimshaw and Scully. Scully in particular who came back so so early! Wingard will come good, his talent is too enormous and he has the runs on the board. He will produce.

We are one more off season away and some luck with injury, we are capable of anything. Some more elite talent will be acquired at the end of this season.

I’m enjoying the ride.

How many clubs do what we’ve done. None! Geelong the only stand out and if they don’t win it this year they are approaching 10 years without a flag!

KOLOKOTRONIS

This. Did a quick synopsis of close game last year in which Mitchell was a major contributor to the 4 points. There were about four games where take out his influence and we get rolled finishing 2018 about 12-14th. We have lost any ability to free up Jaeger this year, due to being tagged which has affected his disposal efficiency and ability to hurt teams ball in hand. This is the most disappointing aspect of the season for me so far. Was hanging out to see him running amok without De Boer and co hanging out his clacker as teams went to Mitchell.

If we can pull off another Scrimshaw/Scully/Wingard type off season we will be very well placed imo.

Options discussed so far (there may be others I have forgotten):

Pick 5ish/Patton/Coniglio
Pick5ish/Patton/Day (depending on hip recovery)
Pick 5ish/Will Brodie/Patton

Name

Years Service

Status

Stay or Go

2​

Non-Free Agent​

Stay

4​

Non-Free Agent​

Stay

1​

Non-Free Agent​

Stay

1​

Non-Free Agent​

Unsure

2​

Non-Free Agent​

Stay

2​

Non-Free Agent​

Stay

14​

Unrestricted Free Agent​

Go, depends on injury

2​

Non-Free Agent​

Stay

2​

Non-Free Agent​

Stay

3​

Non-Free Agent​

Stay

5​

Non-Free Agent​

Stay

15​

Unrestricted Free Agent​

Likely retirement

7​

Non-Free Agent​

Stay

5​

Non-Free Agent​

Stay

1​

Non-Free Agent​

Stay

9​

Restricted Free Agent​

Stay

3​

Non-Free Agent​

Stay

11​

Unrestricted Free Agent​

Likely go

10​

Unrestricted Free Agent​

I'd keep him one more

5​

Non-Free Agent​

Go

7​

Non-Free Agent​

Stay if he keeps form

1​

Non-Free Agent​

Go

3​

Non-Free Agent​

Stay

1​

Non-Free Agent​

Stay

9​

Restricted Free Agent​

Gone already

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks

Theres enough non Hawks downplaying our magnificent win with out our own doing it.

watch the last minutes of Q2 our young guys not taking a backward step when it got a bit willing in the packs

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Theres enough non Hawks downplaying our magnificent win with out our own doing it.

watch the last minutes of Q2 our young guys not taking a backward step when it got a bit willing in the packs

Not downplaying it but we simply can't string two good performances in a row together, at absolute best we sneak into the 8 this season.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This thread title makes me want to heave.
* no is the answer.
I'll say this, if we recruited Jaeger frickin Omeara, Tommy the Bull Mitchell, the Winged beast, and other astute pickups so that we can effing bottom out I'll scratch my eyes out.
Would also be an enormous indictment in my mind of an inability to develop enough support from within - pick numbers be damned - from the young players we've brought through. That with the touches and voice of Clarko we can't be assured of finishing 6th up is not on. Different coach, whole new system, maybe I'd be patient for that kind of shite like a long slow burn.
And I understand injuries, but in my mind they're only pauses in the run with players returning to long careers still, not a reason to go full tank and re-build.

With Sicily, Hardwick, Scrimshaw, ML, and I'm calling it now - CJ, we need to ID and fast-track the development of any youngsters coming through with genuine big time upside. Screw the old Hawthorn apprenticeship, I want to see young potential guns brought in and given license to be game breakers.

We are in the now.
* bottoming out.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
This thread title makes me want to heave.
**** no is the answer.
I'll say this, if we recruited Jaeger frickin Omeara, Tommy the Bull Mitchell, the Winged beast, and other astute pickups so that we can effing bottom out I'll scratch my eyes out.
Would also be an enormous indictment in my mind of an inability to develop enough support from within - pick numbers be damned - from the young players we've brought through. That with the touches and voice of Clarko we can't be assured of finishing 6th up is not on. Different coach, whole new system, maybe I'd be patient for that kind of shite like a long slow burn.
And I understand injuries, but in my mind they're only pauses in the run with players returning to long careers still, not a reason to go full tank and re-build.

With Sicily, Hardwick, Scrimshaw, ML, and I'm calling it now - CJ, we need to ID and fast-track the development of any youngsters coming through with genuine big time upside. Screw the old Hawthorn apprenticeship, I want to see young potential guns brought in and given license to be game breakers.

We are in the now.
**** bottoming out.

We're at neither end, we aren't up with the top tier sides nor are we a bad side, we're flat bang middle of the road as things stand and our off season coming is absolutely massive.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Yeah the only time we'll ever bottom out is once the great man has had enough and calls it quits or moves on. Still worries me a bit to think of a team like Sydney or Adelaide picking up Rowell and Anderson. For me personally I would love to see how Clarko would go having one of those 2 young guns under his tutelage to start their careers.

whoever gets Rowell will draft one of the best big game players i've ever seen in the u/18's, the guy is the Michael Jordan of u/18's footy, the bigger the occassion the more he stands up, well so far, dont want to jinx him.

was B.O.G. in the GF, was B.O.G. in the pre-afl grand final futures game, was B.O.G. in the big game against Sandringham earlier in the season, every time B.O.G or near best in the big games, very impressive big game player.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
A very busy off-season coming up for the list manager trying to work out who’s staying and who’s going. 24 players out of contract at seasons end. :oops:

Roughead
Frawley
Glass
Birchall
Hardwick
Ceglar
O’Brien
Schoenmakers
Shiels
Pittonet
Puopolo
Jiath
Henderson
Mirra
Moore
Ross
Mohr
Jones
Hanrahan
Miles
Reeves
Greaves
Golds
Cousins

if i had to guess, id say Roughead, Poppy, Birchall and Mohr to retire, i think Schoenmakers and Hanrahan are likely to be delisted. theres a couple of others im personally not a fan of, but i dont know if they will go or stay, everyone else has a role to play

Frawley - he is still a competent tall def, which is valuable
Glass - he is trying a new position which might or might not work for him?
Ceglar - unless he has an offer to be number 1 ruck elsewhere he is a good number 2 here
TOB - trying a new position which might or might not work for him?
Pittonet - worthwhile backup as Reeves isnt able to play AFL atm
Jiath - has shown a lot of improvement recently, must sign imo
Henderson - actually having a great season, must sign for 1 more year potentially more depending on form
Mirra - good backup defender imo, gets a lot of unwarranted criticism i believe
Moore - could be a decent small forw, 10 marks on the weekend was a good sign
Ross - when he fills out to around 85kg's he could be the new Breust/Gunston/Wingard type
Jones - this guy is pure effort, for a rookie thats all you ask for, could be handy depth
Miles - handy depth, depends on if they want to make a decision on him or keep him for depth?
Reeves - 209cm young ruck, plays good in the ruck winning taps, clearances ect, needs to improve marking and tackling to be a better ruck
Greaves - another guy like Jones that just puts in a good effort every time you need him to, good depth at this stage might be more later?
Golds - was outstanding in pre-season, but has struggled a little to deal with the faster decision making and bigger bodies, we'll see how he goes this and next season
Cousins - has stood up and performed decently with Tom Mitchell out of the side, good mid depth

Hardwick and Shiels signed up already?
i'd prob retire Burgoyne, but has he signed on again?

Last edited:
If I had to guess then it would be something like this:
Roughead - No (retire)
Frawley - Yes
Glass - Yes
Birchall - No (retire)
Hardwick - Yes
Ceglar - Yes
O’Brien - Yes
Schoenmakers - No (retire)
Shiels - Yes
Pittonet - Yes (maybe trade out)
Puopolo - No (retire)
Jiath - Yes
Henderson - Yes
Mirra - Maybe
Moore - Yes
Ross - Yes
Mohr - No (retire)
Jones - Yes
Hanrahan - Yes
Miles - Yes (maybe trade out)
Reeves - Yes
Greaves - Yes
Golds - Yes
Cousins - Yes
No chance Popeye retires.

The rest, I agree with

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Not downplaying it but we simply can't string two good performances in a row together, at absolute best we sneak into the 8 this season.

Signs of a team in development.

had some unconvincing losses (not blown away), some unconvincing wins v bottom 4 teams and best wins v top 4 teams

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Signs of a team in development.

had some unconvincing losses (not blown away), some unconvincing wins v bottom 4 teams and best wins v top 4 teams
Yes also signs of an ageing team.
We don't have to bottom out, but the prospect of another sustained period at the top will increase if we end up bottom 4 for a couple of years. Won't do us any harm.

Yet we still have lots of players 30 + in our best 22, so it's a very interesting time for the football club.
We had 5 over 30 and 3 of them were in the coaches votes including Hendo who was BOG
The other 5 in the coaches votes all Hawks and all under 30

Kinghts 24

Senior List
Apr 28, 2007
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If Clarkson sticks to this path of "we don't go down to then go up" or even take a pause, and he can coach this club to another flag or even close, he will be nothing short of a miracle worker and they should bronze him now and stand him next to John Kennedy Snr at Waverley.

It's like we've become a patchwork quilt, trying to find a way to stay "up" with aggressive trading and late draft picks.

I just can't see how this is going to come together when you consider the age of our list, the currency we have to work with at the trade table and our lack of A grade under 23 players.

Feels further away from a flag than at any previous time under Clarkson.

Back