List Mgmt. The possibility of needing to bottom out

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 27, 2015
🅱️🅰️🥇1️⃣3️⃣
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
🇦🇺
One thing Stephen Wells does better than anyone is mature age selections, going back to Harry Taylor and Podsiadly.

Two of our recent mature agers in Stewart and Kelly are likely AA selections this year, Menegola is a handy player and last year we picked up Tom Atkins from our VFL aside who’s played every senior game this season.

I know Hawthorn drafted Mirra to lesser effect (he’s a fair bit older than our guys too) but our success in this area shows that there are plenty of plug and play options at state level that can instantly improve an AFL team.
Hey Handbagger here's a friendly reminder of the granddaddy of mature-age selections, may you never forget his heroics. No B2B for you. Next!

stuart-dew_234d9y06s8wz1s6v8l6pmer74.jpg

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Hey Handbagger here's a friendly reminder of the granddaddy of mature-age selections, may you never forget his heroics. No B2B for you. Next!

Classy reply, you must be a lot of fun at parties.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
You’ve gotta admit though it’s pretty funny that a team that only lost 1 game all season to that point we’re absolutely dismantled by a guy that wasn’t too far from where Xavier Ellis is now. Dew had to lose about 10-15kgs for Clarko to believe that he was worth a shot at bringing him back and the rest they say is history.

The Cats could’ve been known as the juggernaut in 2008 that went through undefeated but alas will ALWAYS be known as the team that choked on a huge fur ball of Stewie Dew. I for one look forward to seeing it happen again this season... that is if the can make it there 🤷🏽‍♂️

067A7B4C-DC2F-45E7-8837-4D8CA94E66E6.gif

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
You’ve gotta admit though it’s pretty funny that a team that only lost 1 game all season to that point we’re absolutely dismantled by a guy that wasn’t too far from where Xavier Ellis is now. Dew had to lose about 10-15kgs for Clarko to believe that he was worth a shot at bringing him back and the rest they say is history.

If we don’t lose 2008 we don’t have the drive to win 2009 against a St Kilda team that was as dominant in the H&A season as we were the previous year.

Also, we wouldn’t have been undefeated in 2008. We were smashed by the Pies in 86 points during the season.

If you guys don’t throw away a 4+ goal lead in 2012, you perhaps don’t trade for Lake, and don’t threepeat.

Everything happens for a reason and I’ve seen three more flags than I ever imagined I would - plus my team is still contending with a new-look side.

No saltiness here, I’m perfectly content.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
If we don’t lose 2008 we don’t have the drive to win 2009 against a St Kilda team that was as dominant in the H&A season as we were the previous year.

Also, we wouldn’t have been undefeated in 2008. We were smashed by the Pies in 86 points during the season.

If you guys don’t throw away a 4+ goal lead in 2012, you perhaps don’t trade for Lake, and don’t threepeat.

Everything happens for a reason and I’ve seen three more flags than I ever imagined I would - plus my team is still contending with a new-look side.

No saltiness here, I’m perfectly content.

I never said you were salty. I said you guys choked which you did. I’m just glad I was there live to see it 🤙🏽

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
I never said you were salty. I said you guys choked which you did. I’m just glad I was there live to see it 🤙🏽

And you guys choked in 2012 (to a team with Mitch Morton up forward!) and Collingwood choked last year, right?

Saying we choked in 2008 is taking away from Hawthorn’s effective tactics and good performances by Hodge, Mitchell, Dew etc. Kind of like what an opposition supporter would say to denigrate the Hawks...

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
And you guys choked in 2012 (to a team with Mitch Morton up forward!) and Collingwood choked last year, right?

Saying we choked in 2008 is taking away from Hawthorn’s effective tactics and good performances by Hodge, Mitchell, Dew etc. Kind of like what an opposition supporter would say to denigrate the Hawks...

As Hawthorn fans we love 2008 because we had arrived early but yes we did choke in 2012 and it will happen to other teams against and again.

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
As Hawthorn fans we love 2008 because we had arrived early but yes we did choke in 2012 and it will happen to other teams against and again.

Now that we can agree on. Premierships are bloody hard to win - just look at Collingwood and Richmond’s talk of ‘dynasties’ for one flag each in the last decade.

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Birchall will not play in another premiership.
If his spot could help us develop a player that may play in our next flag, then he should go. But the club knows that.
He looks to be cooked anyway so I question if he even makes it to next year.

It's a myth that players who wont play in your next premiership have no value and that gifting young players games when they aren't good enough at the level and haven't earned it, fast-tracks their development.

If fact its proven to be a disastrous approach time and time again.

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Yes. And only the special ones win back to back to back.

Lol. What an insecure supporter you must be. I came here to comment because some of your fellow supporters were talking about Geelong’s list build and how we’ve managed to end up on top of the ladder again despite not bottoming out.

I suppose Bay 13 is more your scene.

Enjoy your rebuild.

Aug 27, 2015
🅱️🅰️🥇1️⃣3️⃣
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
🇦🇺
Lol. What an insecure supporter you must be. I came here to comment because some of your fellow supporters were talking about Geelong’s list build and how we’ve managed to end up on top of the ladder again despite not bottoming out.

I suppose Bay 13 is more your scene.

Enjoy your rebuild.
No you came here to troll, because that's what you are. Here's another warm & fuzzy memory of Hawthorn's success at Geelong's direct expense to remind you of your club's unarguable inferiority to ours, don't let the door hit you on the way out chum. :cryingcat:

CgYywZnUIAA8XMI.jpg

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
No you came here to troll, because that's what you are.

If you think every opposition supporter who wants to discuss football is a troll, you must find this whole internet messageboard thing quite troublesome.

If you look through my posting history and at your own, you will know who the troll is.

Also - Hawthorn and Geelong, for that matter, supporters who are using past successes to bag others are just sad. I love what Geelong has achieved in the last decade and a half but all I care about now is where our next flag is coming from. I’d hope that fans of a club like yours would feel the same way, no?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gaston

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2014
in the outer with anticipation
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Heard something the other day that surprised me.
In the last 20 years we would all point to the Hawks & Cats being the premier teams.
In fact, Collingwood has made the grand final 5 times (6 if you count the bye).

In their rebuilds they have twice bottomed out for a year.
The results:
Scott Pendlebury
Brody Grundy (not sure when De Goey landed at their door) and Darcy Moore came as a father son.

Each time between grand finals was 7 years.
02/03 - 10/11 - 18

A lot on here think we are not that far away, based on the Pies we are a minimum 3 years before contending again.
Even then, I would say it is a stretch unless a real top end forward talent lands at our feet.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Misleading. Wingard also cost us Burton, who is a first round quality player.

JOM was multiple picks, that we didn't enter the draft until the 70s.

So 3 players at the cost of 4 first round picks, some 2nds, 3rds and 4ths.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

And the first round pick we gave up was used on Xavier Duursma who would be close to top 5 in the rising star in a very strong year for first year players.

jaitachi

Team Captain
Aug 19, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Get lost, you won’t win the flag so ur a flog hehe it almost rhymes

Joking btw u got massive chance to win, but your dynasty has passed, maybe a new one coming up, who knows, maybe hawks too, u never know

A lot on here think we are not that far away, based on the Pies we are a minimum 3 years before contending again.
Even then, I would say it is a stretch unless a real top end forward talent lands at our feet.
Nah, if we get Cogs + Patton + Amon this off-season then we should win the flag in 2020. If we somehow get a CHB as well then we're dead certs to win it.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Heard something the other day that surprised me.
In the last 20 years we would all point to the Hawks & Cats being the premier teams.
In fact, Collingwood has made the grand final 5 times (6 if you count the bye).

In their rebuilds they have twice bottomed out for a year.
The results:
Scott Pendlebury
Brody Grundy (not sure when De Goey landed at their door) and Darcy Moore came as a father son.

Each time between grand finals was 7 years.
02/03 - 10/11 - 18

Hawks high points too come at seven year intervals. 2001. 2008. 2015. Does that mean 2022 ?

One of the oddest comparisons I’ve ever read.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back