Opinion Will there be any home games this season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me ,one of the biggest disappointments regarding not opening the border is the affect it will have on the development of our large group of kids who normally would have played at Peel

At last we have terrific depth and a season of completion at Peel would help fast track these boys....as opposed to the tame scratch matches we had last year on the Gold Coast for the 2's

Last edited:
They’re letting it overcome them. The governments has just done a ‘free for all, work it yourself out’ plan. They’ve given up
I’d imagine, given how Victoria loves their football, they’ll just let full capacity this season. They definitely won’t do a 2019 and have lockouts
It's the Federal government that has done a 'free for all' and put nothing on the buffet table.

Nope. They will just shift them to regional. Gold Coast, North Queensland. They don’t care
Now you are being stupid.
The AFL have far too much invested in the two WA teams to do anything stupid.
If you believe what you have written you are off with the fairies.

Now you are being stupid.
The AFL have far too much invested in the two WA teams to do anything stupid.
If you believe what you have written you are off with the fairies.
Really? Wouldn't be like the AFL to treat Freo poorly..... For example we remain the only team to play a final against Geelong at Kardinya Park.

Really? Wouldn't be like the AFL to treat Freo poorly..... For example we remain the only team to play a final against Geelong at Kardinya Park.
And... what was the result.
I could swear we won that.
We beat them when they tried to beat us with siren gate.
We are now moved on from that s**t.
There is no way that they disrespect us any more.

We love our footy here.

Come Round 1, watching our teams hubbing & playing on the East Coast to full stadiums while we're still locked up - sandgropers will be asking some serious questions of Marky Boi.

If freo play most of our home games in Melbourne then freo will be screwed.

If you lot think freo will get 5 or 6 home games at the mcg, your sadly mistaken.

The afl will force us to play all he games at docklands.

I rather hub in Tassie or ACT instead.

Hell i rather hub in South Australia. I will attend dockers games there if thats the case.

My point exactly.
I see no way that the season can progress.
If games are able to be played between 16 out of 18 clubs, there’s almost certainly going to be a season that goes ahead. If our border is closed by round 1 (with no exemption for sport), we’ll have the choice of either moving interstate into a hub until the border reopens or sit out the competition for a year.

Lol at the people thinking the season won’t go ahead because of McClown!!
You think the AFL teams in the east give a fcuk about Marky marks desire for a hard border?
If it comes to it, the AFL will send Freo and WC to Melbourne or wherever to hub & play home games as normal in the east. And that’s exactly what they should do. Why in gods earth should mark Mcgowan hold up an entire AFL footy season?

As someone just said, if that happens, WA people might finally start questioning their despotic leader.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If games are able to be played between 16 out of 18 clubs, there’s almost certainly going to be a season that goes ahead. If our border is closed by round 1 (with no exemption for sport), we’ll have the choice of either moving interstate into a hub until the border reopens or sit out the competition for a year.

Freo and west coast will hub interstate.

Broadcasters pay for 9 games a week one less game is a breach of contract. AFL will ensure Freo and west coast fulfill obligations.

Not one sporting organisation is bending for WA government anymore.

Everyone else in the country has moved on so why bother dealing with WA government.

First and final warning people - like the covid & afl thread, please save the discussion in this thread to how the start of this season may look like for us. Any further posts on politics etc will be deleted, take it to the politics thread.

How many of our early home games are double ups.

Are the first 2 or 3 home games double up opponents.

As last year if there was corresponding fixture later in the year it would get swapped.

24 cases today. Border is going to be redundant by the season start if this continues.
It is now out and about in the community and the Government has admitted that eliminating it is now not an option, I wonder if this influences the timing of opening the boarders at all?

Will be a big run on vaccinations shortly, followed by the people not being able to get enough supply!

A lot of the delay in the border reopening came from the nurses association.
They weren’t ready, and had a bunch of new graduates due to start first week of feb. instead of throwing them all to the wolves, asked for a few weeks to get them up to speed.

The whole point was to not overwhelm the health services by opening the borders and having a free for all. Expect things to be relaxed March/April.
Would also expect though that there will be restrictions around capacity .

We’ll get games. Maybe not the first few weeks of the season, but our teams will play at home.

If my boss called me in and told me I was moving to Victoria I'd resign on the spot.

It was only a week ago they had a 40,000+ covid day. WA's total is 1,338

There's more to life than football.
You're living in a fantasy world if you think we won't have that amount of cases in a few months

The players all got vaxxed to protect themselves, they'll be fine hubbing in Vic if needed

Couldn't clubs use 'top up' players?

West Coast Reserves did it last year when they didn't have enough players.

If we get to play a side with a top up player on the field we should have a good time, if there are five or six we should expect to score almost every time we move the ball from defensive fifty forward.

Have you ever seen the team drills come to a halt and the coach blows his lid over someone being in the wrong place? Lyon used to do this quite a bit. That will happen on a far more costly scale all the time during a game, especially if the wingers or half forwards are sidelined and replaced with freshies.

Short of the opposition fielding Phil Inns as key backs or tagging defensive mids, who will has simple instructions to stick to their opponent all game, the rest of the structure will be loose like a sales pitch for tupperware four drinks later than planned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back