Outlook Rocky: he likes an expensive Tawny

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just having a squizz at the Carlton board and they are confident of enticing Rocky/Kennedy/Saad and drafting Rayner. Interestingly their major concern with getting Rocky is that Bombers and Hawks have more cash to splash than them.

Yep..rumor that is doing the rounds is their finances aren't in good shape..has to do with rejigging players payments ( Future Years) to accommodate the AFL's ruling that Judds payments came under total player payments and not Visy..(Robbing Peter to pay Paul.)...Even with the extra in the player payment and Daisy refinancing his contract things are pretty tight...

That is pretty poor for a young team. If so they need to bite the bullet and just draft for a few years until they can clear some cap.

Rocky will go for cash, any club comes swooping in with a mitch Clarke type deal it will get his interest. Id estimate we would be offering 600-650 over 3 years. Think if any club came in around the mil mark for 4-5 years he would just about take it.

Can we all appreciate that "what's best for my family" was the perfect throwaway line to use in an interview?

Six months of analysing that one phrase and no one knows what the hell he is thinking
I think it is obvious what he is thinking............waiting for best $. The longer he waits the higher it will get.

That is pretty poor for a young team. If so they need to bite the bullet and just draft for a few years until they can clear some cap.

Rocky will go for cash, any club comes swooping in with a mitch Clarke type deal it will get his interest. Id estimate we would be offering 600-650 over 3 years. Think if any club came in around the mil mark for 4-5 years he would just about take it.

IIRC there were 5 years of back Visy payments to be included into the cap..., some creative Carlton book keeping has had a % paid into the injury payments..They have got it manageable.. but things are pretty tight..

Yep..rumor that is doing the rounds is their finances aren't in good shape..has to do with rejigging players payments ( Future Years) to accommodate the AFL's ruling that Judds payments came under total player payments and not Visy..(Robbing Peter to pay Paul.)...Even with the extra in the player payment and Daisy refinancing his contract things are pretty tight...
Wouldn't have thought that.

Isnt it also widely accepted theyve let GWS dumped Salary to lower trade value too. While players like Sumner, Phillips and Lamb wouldn't have been a great money, it would still be considerably more then new draftees. While not a huge factor it must contribute pressure as well.

This would be Noble and Fagan on the way to BNE Airport with Tom...

images

Posted this on the main board, but in hindsight should of put it here. Opposition supporters don't give a @#$% as to what Brisbane will get:

Does anyone think Rockliff could actually get a contract triggering band 1 compensation?

As of two years ago:

"CLUBS will only receive a first-round compensation pick after losing a free agent in 2015 if the player's new contract ranks them among the top five per cent of AFL wage earners aged 25 and older"

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-...-to-earn-firstround-free-agency-compensation-

For the record I really want Rockliff to stay, but would be pretty happy with pick 2 as compensation, however reading this article if would have to be a pretty damn good deal.

Can we all appreciate that "what's best for my family" was the perfect throwaway line to use in an interview?

Six months of analysing that one phrase and no one knows what the hell he is thinking

Has just built new house and his partner has had a baby.

If her family are in Brisbane it would be a huge call to move away from her family.

New mothers tend to seek their own mothers support...moving away from that support would be very challenging.

Posted this on the main board, but in hindsight should of put it here. Opposition supporters don't give a @#$% as to what Brisbane will get:

Does anyone think Rockliff could actually get a contract triggering band 1 compensation?

As of two years ago:

"CLUBS will only receive a first-round compensation pick after losing a free agent in 2015 if the player's new contract ranks them among the top five per cent of AFL wage earners aged 25 and older"

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-...-to-earn-firstround-free-agency-compensation-

For the record I really want Rockliff to stay, but would be pretty happy with pick 2 as compensation, however reading this article if would have to be a pretty damn good deal.
If he leaves pick 2 is a massive pipe dream. However pick 19 doesn't cut it for me. I think that there should be another compo range, say straight before the finalists which would be pick 11 which I think is more fitting for a player such as Tom Rockliff.

If her family are in Brisbane it would be a huge call to move away from her family.

New mothers tend to seek their own mothers support...moving away from that support would be very challenging.

Good point!

Good point!
Doesn't the AFL usually find a way to achieve whatever outcome they want? How about we submit a priority pick application, the AFL decide the case isn't strong enough to warrant an additional pick but it is strong enough to upgrade a compensation pick (for Rockliff if he does leave, which I hope/don't think he will)

Moving away from the mother in law.... Challenge Accepted. ;)

Doesn't the AFL usually find a way to achieve whatever outcome they want? How about we submit a priority pick application, the AFL decide the case isn't strong enough to warrant an additional pick but it is strong enough to upgrade a compensation pick (for Rockliff if he does leave, which I hope/don't think he will)

Not sure the relevance to my post..??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he leaves pick 2 is a massive pipe dream. However pick 19 doesn't cut it for me. I think that there should be another compo range, say straight before the finalists which would be pick 11 which I think is more fitting for a player such as Tom Rockliff.

I don't disagree with you, but on what criteria would the pick for any player be based on? It's always going to be subjective. It's not ideal, but a pick based on the contract is pretty cut & dry (Frawley compo aside, ahem). Tom may stay, but if not the stars are aligning in ways this year that put pick 2 into the realms of possibility if he was to move on. He's arguably the best player left available to trade in, the cap has increased, he's value has increased due to his attitude & season compared to this time last year, and a lot of clubs will be interested in him. If you have cap space, you have to spend it somewhere.

Just having a squizz at the Carlton board and they are confident of enticing Rocky/Kennedy/Saad and drafting Rayner. Interestingly their major concern with getting Rocky is that Bombers and Hawks have more cash to splash than them.

I don't know what others are saying but Carlton won't get Rockcliff and Kennedy.
The money bit is largely for the fact Silvagni being a modern day Scrooge. He just won't overpay for anyone, unless there's a clear benefit in doing so.

Just on Carltons TPP. It has allegedly been on 95% for the past 2 years, so money won't be the problem.
It's just that we won't overpay whereas some others may.

I don't know what others are saying but Carlton won't get Rockcliff and Kennedy.
The money bit is largely for the fact Silvagni being a modern day Scrooge. He just won't overpay for anyone, unless there's a clear benefit in doing so.

Just on Carltons TPP. It has allegedly been on 95% for the past 2 years, so money won't be the problem.
It's just that we won't overpay whereas some others may.

The clear benefit of minimizing the short term impact of losing Gibbs, while bringing in the high draft pic(s) you get by him leaving? (If he still wants to go, and even though he's still contracted ;) )

The clear benefit of minimizing the short term impact of losing Gibbs, while bringing in the high draft pic(s) you get by him leaving? (If he still wants to go, and even though he's still contracted ;) )

That would be the general thrust of the idea.
Lots to play out and many silly moments to come.

Just feel Rockcliff may be fudging things up for a few extra bucks, but will remain at Brisbane. Who can blame him?

Really rate him and would happily offer $750k x 4 minimum for him. Can't believe we aren't all over him, madness to throw money at Stringer when Rocky is exactly what we need

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back