Grand Slam The Australian Summer of Tennis 2022

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Think this will become a big talking point in this country and around the world. What are we going to do.

The dates are set, that much is sure. (January 17-30). Talk from the Daily Mirror is that Tennis Aus are planning to do something similar to this year. That is, charted planes for the players and then some type of quarantine system. What is different is that players who are vaccinated will have more freedoms. But tennis players have been slow in the uptake of the vaccines and IIRC, only around 50% of them are fully vaxxed.

And as Yaco says on the general tennis thread(I need to learn how to move posts), I am not sure how many players would be willing to do what they did this year, especially over X-mas.

I am struggling to understand why qualifying has to be off-shore considering Australia would have reached its vaccination coverage by January - You either have a proper tournament with all its 'bells and whistles' or you move the whole tournament off-shore - It's bizarre, when you consider that going back to May, all the other Grand Slams had their qualifying done in the same country.

Edit: it seems that the AO want all players in Australia before XMAS - Could this result in some players missing the tournament.

Then, what will happen to the lead-up tournaments in Brisbane, Perth, Sydney, Adelaide and Hobart? Are we going to have Melbourne 1-2-3 again?

And other places around the world, like the Qatar Open. The Auckland Open 2022 has already been canned. Could a player boycott leave Tennis Aus no choice but host it in the Middle East. It seems like Qualies will again take place in the Middle East.

I have found no other sources yet, which I find strange. The Australian Open is going to find itself in the middle of a war between us opening up to the world or one which is trying to continue the way we are at the moment. That will be different in different parts of the country.

I am going to guess that it will be a Sydney/Canberra/Melbourne(plus any new state with covid) Summer of Tennis. And that only Vaxxed, qualified players are allowed into the country via Sydney with limited testing. I can't see tennis being played in "safe" areas like Perth or Hobart.

Again, I think the Ashes will be a good indication of what will happen for tennis.

I'm sure Tiley said at a press conference a bit before the US Open that it would be a week of training, week of tournaments (in Melbourne/Victoria) then AO. Haven't heard anything since.

I am a little surprised they didn't try to push it back at least one week because of that Christmas issue but obviously TA want it in school holidays this time around.

I do find it strange as well that this leaked out and nothing has come from elsewhere which tells me that maybe they are close and want to announce everything soon. Or maybe that's me being naïve.

See what happens over the next couple of weeks (especially with everything Covid/lockdown related atm)

The XMAS will be an issue considering that many places were locked down in 2021, so some would have not spent XMAS with their families. It is a given that tournaments will only be played in Melbourne with a possibility of post Aussie pop up like Adelaide in 2021 - Could it be that some of the lower ranked Aussies stay in Europe, then travel to the Middle East for qualifying - This serves two purposes in avoiding 14 days quarantine and getting a free ride back to OZ - Something seems wrong about the article, though if true, I will be disappointed if the Government wastes money on charter flights which is not needed -It's a case of watch this space.

Edit; F1 released their provisional 2022 calendar with Melbourne listed for April 14.

danstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Would love to have the Aus Open here but unless they mandate everyone has the vaccine and put them into a bubble, it wont happen here. My thoughts are they will push it to Qatar this year and than bring it back in 2023

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth

Let the battle begin.

In unrelated news, Sabelenka has tested positive for Covid and will miss Indian Wells. She has been "cautious" regarding the vaccine.

I have well and truly zoned out of most covid related news but my understanding was vaccinated people can still spread it anyway, just the affects are less on the individual if they contract it
They can still transmit it but risk of transmission between vaccinated people is significantly lower.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers

Let the battle begin.

In unrelated news, Sabelenka has tested positive for Covid and will miss Indian Wells. She has been "cautious" regarding the vaccine.

The Top 5 in the Mens game aren't jabbed, might as well move the tournament.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't Novak already had and recovered from Covid, so he would likely be of very little risk anyway?
That's correct. But I believe you can be infected with the virus again.

I don't like that Andrews is addressing Djokovic in press conferences (even though he was asked about it specifically). If Andrews takes it personally, he might put it on his agenda. The way Andrews and Sutton manage things, it seems like it's always the stick option and very rarely the carrot. We should be at 90% fully vaccinated in Victoria by January 2022, so it really shouldn't matter if players are vaccinated or not. We'll see. I think there will be different rules for fully vaccinated players compared to non vaccinated. There are still many players that are not vaccinated.

We are in October now and getting very close to the Australian summer of tennis. Would love to be a fly on the wall at meetings between TA, Tiley and the Vic government. From a financial point of view and an events point of view, TA cannot lose the tournament and the Vic government can't afford it either.

I don't like that Andrews is addressing Djokovic in press conferences (even though he was asked about it specifically). If Andrews takes it personally, he might put it on his agenda. The way Andrews and Sutton manage things, it seems like it's always the stick option and very rarely the carrot. We should be at 90% fully vaccinated in Victoria by January 2022, so it really shouldn't matter if players are vaccinated or not. We'll see. I think there will be different rules for fully vaccinated players compared to non vaccinated. There are still many players that are not vaccinated.

We are in October now and getting very close to the Australian summer of tennis. Would love to be a fly on the wall at meetings between TA, Tiley and the Vic government. From a financial point of view and an events point of view, TA cannot lose the tournament and the Vic government can't afford it either.

Pretty much this. It does seem ridiculous that he would address him personally like he did the other day. I'm not sure what that is going to achieve. Or Novak would even give a ****.

The problem is image to me, because letting unvaccinated players come into the country when Australians still can't isn't a great look. Yes, it may be very different come January but that's not what it looks like now. god, i hate politics.

A couple of articles coming out today that other states/city could be in play for the Aus Open while most likely won't happen suggest that something has broken down in talks and probably the idea has been floated around somewhere.

I think there a few meetings with players in Indian Wells this week so hopefully we hear something soon.

I doubt there is anyway out for players when you consider many countries will not allow entry unless you are vaccinated - For example if you moved the Oz Open to the Middle East, then many countries in that region require vaccination.

I am more concerned that the Vic Govt will implement silly and impractical rules which will unnecessarily waste taxpayers dollars

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton

Except it will matter.

Why do you think Andrews and Sutton keep bringing in these people to the pressers to scaremonger etc? We won't be opening up fully until Victoria is 100% vaccinated. He is going after the working class now but everyone else will come soon.

Personally, I think we should lose the Australian Open. Our incompetent Victorian government don't deserve to be hosting big events with their views.

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Novak Djokovic
Can someone tell me what’s wrong with hotel quarantine for two weeks and staying in a bubble then just flying back home?

Why can’t they just implement that rule for the unvaccinated athletes? They’ve been making exceptions for world class athletes for the last two years…

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Can someone tell me what’s wrong with hotel quarantine for two weeks and staying in a bubble then just flying back home?

Why can’t they just implement that rule for the unvaccinated athletes? They’ve been making exceptions for world class athletes for the last two years…
the world has moved on.

they are also professional athletes who need regular exercise to keep up their form.

Also

Dan Andrews will use the AO as a showpiece of his mandate vaccines goal. He will not shift for anyone.

:(

no shock. just sad.

Already been announced that warm up events will take place in Melbourne/Victoria.

I have been to the tournament in Burnie. Nice little venue

Back