Grand Slam The Australian Summer of Tennis 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

This is exactly why I was dreading all the speculation this week about all this...

Meh, let me know when they announce what tournaments are taking place

tin foil hat time...

could NSW apply for an exemption to get certain non-vax tennis stars into Australia? Then they play a tournament in Sydney before going down to Victoria.

Win-win-win for all parties then. Andrews can blame NSW, NSW has a big event and can give the finger to Victoria and AO gets its tennis tournament full of stars.

Maybe not djoko, but am guessing all the others will get the jab. Djoko seems to be the poster boy for the unvaccinated so he’s in a tricky spot. Think the others will get it, if only because now is there chance to win it! And let’s face it- a new champ will be a good thing.

Codswallop yourself. Sydney will host both the Grand Prix and Australian Open Tennis within 5 or 6 years. That is a certainty.
I am willing to bet $100 with you that Melbourne will not lose the Australian Open to Sydney. That is a certainty not to happen.

The Grand Prix is another story.

As for Andrews, well as I said I do not want to make this political. But just think about this, vaccinated and unvaccinated will be able to go to Chadstone, Highpoint, Doncaster, etc shopping centres on the weekend and all mingle together in an enclosed space for hours.

But an unvaccinated player won't be allowed to do a two week hotel quarantine, then play the AO? Meanwhile thousands of school children are sharing indoor spaces for hours unvaccinated, that is ok.

We have had numerous people enter the country through covid, complete the hotel qaurantine period then join society. But Andrews has made this a political weapon and here we are.

Last edited:
I am willing to bet $100 with you that Melbourne will not lose the Australian Open to Sydney. That is a certainty not to happen.

You're on, by 2026 the Australian Open Tennis will not be here in Melbourne nor will the Grand Prix. It's a certainty that NSW will come at "Dopey Dan" with all cultural guns blazing in the New Year. The "Draconian Open" might get played, but Melbourne is no longer the Sports capital of anywhere...

As for Andrews, well as I said I do not want to make this political. But just think about this, vaccinated and unvaccinated will be able to go to Chadstone, Highpoint, Doncaster, etc shopping centres on the weekend and all mingle together in an enclosed space for hours.

But an unvaccinated player won't be allowed to do a two week hotel quarantine, then play the AO? Meanwhile thousands of school children are sharing indoor spaces for hours unvaccinated, that is ok.

We have had numerous people enter the country through covid, complete the hotel qaurantine period then join society. But Andrews has made this a political weapon and here we are.
I'll go in with you and make it $1k it stays in Melbourne

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Done :)
Hopefully we are both still around here in 2026. As I said this is the Australian Open only. Would not surprise me in the least to lose the GP.
The Grand Prix is lost beyond 2025, i think we'll also lose the Aussie Open and the Melbourne Cup will become just another race..Wouldn't surprise me if the Boxing Day Test will be in jeopardy with interest from all States ? Melbourne will take years to regain its former glory, i doubt Dan the Man will fight too hard to retain what's left of it?

The Grand Prix is lost beyond 2025, i think we'll also lose the Aussie Open and the Melbourne Cup will become just another race..Wouldn't surprise me if the Boxing Day Test will be in jeopardy with interest from all States ? Melbourne will take years to regain its former glory, i doubt Dan the Man will fight too hard to retain what's left of it?
They've just finished a 10 year redevelopment of Melbourne Park and Homebush is a shithole. Zero chance of the AO moving.

Codswallop yourself. Sydney will host both the Grand Prix and Australian Open Tennis within 5 or 6 years. That is a certainty, NSW will go hell for leather to steal the events away from sleepy and culturally lost Melbourne.

You been to the Sydney Olympic Tennis Centre? That's right, you haven't. Okay. Bye.

It's a non-issue - Vaccinated players will play the Australian Open and unvaccinated players will not play - I just sick of the Australian media/politicians mentioning Djokovic in every news item to justify a decision or an opinion - Lets them be brave enough to make a decision/opinion on it's merits, without bringing in irrelevancies to support an argument.

Nadal will definitely be vaccinated because he isn’t an idiot. The other 4 are all total drongoes but will almost certainly step up and have it. Tsitsipas has virtually said that.
Zverev is double vaxed according to Eurosport. Agree Nadal will get both jabs. In regards to the other 3 they can all GGF, especially that tool Novax.
I hope your Premier stands his ground and doesn't change his stance because it really makes a mockery out of the system.

I hope your Premier stands his ground and doesn't change his stance because it really makes a mockery out of the system.
Unvaccinated and vaccinated people will be able to go to major shopping centres for the next month and mingle indoors for hours on end. Now that is a mockery.

Allowing unvaccinated tennis players to come in to the country, complete two week quarantine and then follow rules when out and about for unvaccinated people is not a mockery. People have been coming in to Australia throughout the pandemic doing that same exact thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back