Grand Slam The Australian Summer of Tennis 2022

May 31, 2019
Belmont, WA
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Perth Glory, Everton FC, SSC Napoli
Unvaccinated and vaccinated people will be able to go to major shopping centres for the next month and mingle indoors for hours on end. Now that is a mockery.

Allowing unvaccinated tennis players to come in to the country, complete two week quarantine and then follow rules when out and about for unvaccinated people is not a mockery. People have been coming in to Australia throughout the pandemic doing that same exact thing.
Whoosh...straight past you. Are we discussing about for next month or in January? While I agree that it is flawed. However security, Police, ball balls, umpires, spectators & general staff have to be double vaxed to enter & work at Melbourne Park correct? So if it's one rule for one why is it any different for some people that can hit a ball? Mockery at its highest level. Make one rule for all humans. If your Premier allows Visas to anti-vaxers that are good at hitting a ball then he should scrap the rules for workers & everyone else I mentioned above.

Last edited:

PurpleHearts

Premieship Player
Aug 19, 2020
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Unvaccinated and vaccinated people will be able to go to major shopping centres for the next month and mingle indoors for hours on end. Now that is a mockery.

Allowing unvaccinated tennis players to come in to the country, complete two week quarantine and then follow rules when out and about for unvaccinated people is not a mockery. People have been coming in to Australia throughout the pandemic doing that same exact thing.
Next month is completely irrelevant to the topic dude. The Aus open is in mid January. Andrews has extended the retail rule so people with 1 dose have time to get their 2nd dose. By end of November it's double dose EVERYWHERE so should be no different for a tournament. Doesn't fans have to be double vaccinated to attend?

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
So the unpopularity of Djokovic is clear. But why is not so clear?

If Djokovic misses a tournament through injury, then the tournament is legit as attrition and maintaining your health is part of playing tennis. But if he misses out through not being vaccinated, then there's an asterisk on the tournament. Even if it's not acknowledged beforehand and if you agree with the vaccination stance.

Nadal will definitely be vaccinated because he isn’t an idiot. The other 4 are all total drongoes but will almost certainly step up and have it. Tsitsipas has virtually said that.
Something I've noticed as well. It's always other people that are stupid.

Last edited:

Alesana

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Well Dan has doubled down and there will certainly be no unvaccinated players in the AO. The top 100 is about 80% vaccinated on both tours anyway. With SA opening up soon it now paves the way for an Adelaide International, and it's going to be a pretty packed two weeks before the AO with probably 4 WTA tournaments and the ATP Cup/2 ATP tournaments in one week, then a couple in the same week as AO Qualies.

Romeoh1

Premiership Player
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
So the unpopularity of Djokovic is clear. But why is not so clear?

If Djokovic misses a tournament through injury, then the tournament is legit as attrition and maintaining your health is part of playing tennis. But if he misses out through not being vaccinated, then there's an asterisk on the tournament. Even if it's not acknowledged beforehand and if you agree with the vaccination stance.

Something I've noticed as well. It's always other people that are stupid.
I don’t really agree with what you are saying but with regard to djoko - he’s very popular. He’s the best player in the world and seems like a nice guy. That doesn’t preclude the fact that his stance on vaccinations/Covid is plain stupid.
Doubt anyone will give a rats tossbag re the slam having an ‘asterisk’. I’d have thought a new champ would be a refreshing change. Be nice to go in not knowing the outcome. ;)

May 31, 2019
Belmont, WA
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Perth Glory, Everton FC, SSC Napoli
Why should Novak be desperate to get vaccinated ? He has already got covid before and it obviously didn't cause him any grief as if it did you'd think his stance may be different.
It's not the point. The point is the rule should be no different for anyone. If workers & spectators have to be double vaccinated then all players should aswell. There should be no "special treatment" for people that can hit a ball well, anti vaccine or previously had the virus.
I don't agree his stance would of changed even if it did effect him more. This is a guy that selfishly organised a tennis comp in the middle of a global pandemic. Then parties in clubs without tops on before getting on a flight without being tested and returns to his family. He clearly disregarded the virus & its effect from day one. But that's fine if he disagrees with the whole COVID-19 thing as everyone is entitled to their opinions and beliefs but own it without bitching about certain conditions just because you're in a position of influence.
Although I didn't like what Quinton DeKock did but he stood his ground and refused to play because of his opinion and beliefs on a matter of being "forced to do something". If Djockovic or whoever else disagrees with being forced to double vaccinate then don't come!
Really the government should just scrap it tbh but I can just see the uproar if Andrews caves in and bends over to the pressure of Morrison. He needs to stick to his guns and if players refuse to come then so be it.. they won't be missed.

Last edited:
I hope that Melbournian's have grown up by April when the F1 circus comes to town - In the last two years their attitudes have been unwelcoming for the visiting tennis players competing in the Australian Open - It doesn't do much for the states image.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
It's not the point. The point is the rule should be no different for anyone. If workers & spectators have to be double vaccinated then all players should aswell. There should be no "special treatment" for people that can hit a ball well, anti vaccine or previously had the virus.
I don't agree his stance would of changed even if it did effect him more. This is a guy that selfishly organised a tennis comp in the middle of a global pandemic. Then parties in clubs without tops on before getting on a flight without being tested and returns to his family. He clearly disregarded the virus & its effect from day one. But that's fine if he disagrees with the whole COVID-19 thing as everyone is entitled to their opinions and beliefs but own it without bitching about certain conditions just because you're in a position of influence.
Although I didn't like what Quinton DeKock did but he stood his ground and refused to play because of his opinion and beliefs on a matter of being "forced to do something". If Djockovic or whoever else disagrees with being forced to double vaccinate then don't come!
Really the government should just scrap it tbh but I can just see the uproar if Andrews caves in and bends over to the pressure of Morrison. He needs to stick to his guns and if players refuse to come then so be it.. they won't be missed.

The best players in the world would be missed, that's what Grand Slam tennis is about.

Also what are your thoughts on players that have contracted recently given health advice is that you shouldn't be vaccinated for 6 months post contracting the illness ? Not allowed to play because not double vaxxed ? Or should just go against health advice and get the vaccine ?

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth

Good thing to do with Ash Barty around.

From 2022 the two women’s semifinals will be played from 7.30pm on Thursday night at Rod Laver Arena, and the men’s semis will both be played on Friday, across a day and night session.

So, we are doing what the US Open does. And I think that is the right move.

Good thing to do with Ash Barty around

So, we are doing what the US Open does. And I think that is the right move.

I suppose with Ash it makes sense. I did like how it was though. I think this extra day crap is ridiculous

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
I suppose with Ash it makes sense. I did like how it was though. I think this extra day crap is ridiculous
likewise. felt the extra day had little to no effect on the men's final

But I felt the twilight women semi-finals were in the wrong spot. Ash Barty barely made a mention the last 2 years compared to what it should have been.

This will allow Barty to now hog the night sessions. And Friday twilight men's semi-finals sounds awesome. it can finish at 1 am and no one would care about work the next day. And we wont have a Federer/Chung Hyeon incident where the prime time slot ends early. Or when Novak kills an opponent.

Alesana

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Looks like the ATP Cup is gonna be in Sydney at Qudos Bank Arena and KRA, 2 WTA's in Melbourne, a Challenger in Traralgon, a women's ITF in Bendigo, an ATP/WTA in Sydney, and back to back ATP/WTA's in Adelaide :oops:

Looks like the ATP Cup is gonna be in Sydney at Qudos Bank Arena and KRA, 2 WTA's in Melbourne, a Challenger in Traralgon, a women's ITF in Bendigo, an ATP/WTA in Sydney, and back to back ATP/WTA's in Adelaide :oops:

Where did you get this from? Festival of tennis in Sydney if that's the case

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth

Can't see him back TBH. those quotes don't sound good at all.

off https://twitter.com/_shaering

Official. Roger Federer confirms, that he will not be playing the Australian Open. He casts doubt over his Wimbledon participation in 2022. He told
@Lematinch «I would be incredibly surprised, if I would be playing again already in Wimbledon.»

According to his doctors, Federer will be able tu run slowly again in January and will be back on a tennis court not sooner than in March or April. «I need to be very patient and give my knee the time to heal. The next few months will be crucial.»

Federer has had fixed his meniscus and cartilage in the right knee. He remains optimistic as always though. «The first check with the doctors was very encouraging. I have started a long rehab process. I will pursue the process with full dedication. «

Federer says, surgery was inevitable for his future, both on and off the court. «I would like to ski with my kids and play football or tennis with my friends in the future. And I wanted to do the rehab process with the mentality and the body of a top athlete.»

Federer says he still believes that he can compete at the highest level. «I know, it will be incredibly difficult. But I do believe in that sort of miracles. I’ve experienced them myself. I would like to find out, what I can achieve on a tenniscourt again.»

Federer says, trying to come back again is also his way of saying thank you to all of his fans for their support. «It would have been easy to say ,let’s stop here'. But they deserve better than what they’ve seen from me throughout the past grass court season.»

This is looking accurate going by a few tweets out there today. It'll be interesting how many teams for atp cup

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
This is looking accurate going by a few tweets out there today. It'll be interesting how many teams for atp cup
I really dislike having a tournament in the same city as a slam. I hate the Paris masters.

But I guess they don't have much of an option next year. At least some of it is outside Melbourne. Would have been nice if Canberra hosted a smaller WTA event. I think they have the facilities for that,.

Back