List Mgmt. The Pre Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stand corrected, fingers crossed it all works... still we should have kept that under wraps and rookied him!
Ultimately the club knows what's best but I can't help but think id love them to take a selection at 58. I would have preferred they let Hiscox go to freo and used pick 36 or what ever it was on a different selection.

We can't be so close to the salary cap that we can't use pick 58 if a player we rate slides to there. Little difference in salary betwen a rookie and pick 58, just that pick 58 gets a two year contract not one as rookies do.

So what happens on draft night - after pick 39 do our guys fold their tents and bugger off or do they hang around until pick 58 just in case?

Feel sorry for the lonely live pick 39 draftee, a lot of attention on him as our only unknown pick.

Anyone know if a team has only had one live pick before us this year?

We can't be so close to the salary cap that we can't use pick 58 if a player we rate slides to there. Little difference in salary betwen a rookie and pick 58, just that pick 58 gets a two year contract not one as rookies do.

So what happens on draft night - after pick 39 do our guys fold their tents and bugger off or do they hang around until pick 58 just in case?

Feel sorry for the lonely live pick 39 draftee, a lot of attention on him as our only unknown pick.

Anyone know if a team has only had one live pick before us this year?
You've answered your own question twice, and contraindicated yourself once.

I would like the Swans to take the best KPD available at pick 37 and at pick 58 I would like us to take a punt on Caleb Daniel.

I'm actually leaning away from KPD at 37, I'll thinking best foot skills with anything above good pace, 58 Hugh Beasley and then Hartley in the rookie draft

I'm actually leaning away from KPD at 37, I'll thinking best foot skills with anything above good pace, 58 Hugh Beasley and then Hartley in the rookie draft

Just came in here to mention Beasley.

I have a nodding acquaintance with someone who has a long term association with the Oakleigh Chargers.
Saw that person yesterday and he mentioned of the possible Chargers draftees that the feeling was that Beasley was the one most underrated. He mentioned him as a defender. Just looked at his afl.com highlights and obvious area of concern is that he's listed at just 190cm.

While I was at afl.com had a look at Caleb Daniel.
167cm (5'6'') and he wears a helmet.
Not an easy sell at the coaches/recruiters meeting.
He'd want to be very special to take with (what I still understand is) our one live pick.

Emma Quayle has produced her annual best 30 draft prospects list.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ing-field-for-recruiters-20141115-11nfn5.html

This guy sounds handy;

To me, Isaac Heeney is the most outstanding prospect, the best kid in it. He's the hardest to find any flaws in. Playing for NSW meant he didn't get to play against division one opposition this year, but he looked completely comfortable playing for Sydney's reserves side. A Swans Academy graduate, he'll start training on Monday and be called at pick 18 in the draft. He's one of the biggest bargains I can think of, but at the same time he grew up near Newcastle, played soccer until he was 12, and would probably not be the player he is without what the academy has exposed him to.

1 Isaac Heeney (Cardiff Hawks, 5/5/96, 186cm, 84kg)
Midfielder

The best player in it. An almost wrinkle-free midfielder: a hard, smart ball-winner who can take a mark and hits every contest with ferocity and force. Loves to physically take opponents on, and licks his lips when someone tries to do the same thing to him. Good skills, switched on off the field too, and a popular teammate who will be easy to coach.

That Academy thing sounds like a good idea too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Emma Quayle has produced her annual best 30 draft prospects list.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ing-field-for-recruiters-20141115-11nfn5.html

This guy sounds handy;

To me, Isaac Heeney is the most outstanding prospect, the best kid in it. He's the hardest to find any flaws in. Playing for NSW meant he didn't get to play against division one opposition this year, but he looked completely comfortable playing for Sydney's reserves side. A Swans Academy graduate, he'll start training on Monday and be called at pick 18 in the draft. He's one of the biggest bargains I can think of, but at the same time he grew up near Newcastle, played soccer until he was 12, and would probably not be the player he is without what the academy has exposed him to.

1 Isaac Heeney (Cardiff Hawks, 5/5/96, 186cm, 84kg)
Midfielder

The best player in it. An almost wrinkle-free midfielder: a hard, smart ball-winner who can take a mark and hits every contest with ferocity and force. Loves to physically take opponents on, and licks his lips when someone tries to do the same thing to him. Good skills, switched on off the field too, and a popular teammate who will be easy to coach.

That Academy thing sounds like a good idea too.

Also interesting to read the following comment from the same article;
"As always, there wasn't enough room for everyone. Hardest to leave out was another Sydney-bound player, Abe Davis, with Reece and Daniel McKenzie not far behind. Billy Stretch and Zaine Cordy look the goods and I can see Touk Miller, Dan Howe, Lukas Webb, Damien Cavka, James Rose, Declan Hamilton and Oscar McDonald, among others, going on to play some good AFL football.

Also interesting to read the following comment from the same article;
"As always, there wasn't enough room for everyone. Hardest to leave out was another Sydney-bound player, Abe Davis, with Reece and Daniel McKenzie not far behind. Billy Stretch and Zaine Cordy look the goods and I can see Touk Miller, Dan Howe, Lukas Webb, Damien Cavka, James Rose, Declan Hamilton and Oscar McDonald, among others, going on to play some good AFL football.
I have read before that Davis was rated higher than Hiscox.

How many rookies will we pick in the rookie draft if we draft 4 players onto the senior list?

38 players (minimum allowed) on senior list allows for a maximum of 9 rookies (6 category A, 3 category B*)
40players (maximum allowed) on senior list allows for a maximum of 7 rookies (4 category A, 3 category B )

* Category B – includes former NSW or International Scholarship players with that Club, Academy players (only with respect to Sydney Swans, Brisbane Lions, Gold Coast Suns and GWS Giants) International Rookies (including 1 x Irish), Non-Registered or not Played for 3 Years, Sydney and Queensland Based Clubs and Alternate Talent Players.
(Category A is your everyday rookie taken in the rookie draft)

We have 2 rookies (Naismith & Perris - both category B qualified) definitely on our list for 2015.
Biggs Mitchell (P) traded/delisted
LLoyd, XR Robinson upgraded.

I realise the above answer is how many can we take.
No idea how many we will actually take.

Last edited:
As hairy biker points out we have two remaining from last year list so if we stay with our list sizes both senior and rookie we should have 5 selections.

Though I believe that Naismith becomes a Cat A Rookie this year as he is a third year rookie. So that would mean 2 open Cat B spots and 5 open Cat A spots of which we would fill the first 3 at least, depending on the Academy leftovers.

Nope on our Senior List, was promoted at the last draft
Wouldn't it be a huge bonus if he had a break out year this year! So much flair and and potential but you get the feeling it could really go either way sharply with Brandon. Could be a star or delisted next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back