The Pre-Season Supplementary Selection Period (SSP)

Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
SANFL Coming and Going for 2021 - SANFL

PORT ADELAIDE
Coming
Cameron Sutcliffe (Port Adelaide AFL), Lachlan Jones (Woodville-West Torrens), Ollie Lord (Sandringham Dragons), Tyson Goldsack (Collingwood), Taj Schofield (Woodville-West Torrens)

Luke Surman (Norwood),
Jake Weidemann (Woodville-West Torrens),
Jake Westbrook (Woodville-West Torrens),
Campbell Wildman (Prince Alfred College/Sturt),
Dylan Aldridge (North Adelaide)

Going

Riley Grundy (delisted/Sturt), Tobin Cox (delisted), Joe Atley (delisted), Jake Patmore (delisted), Jack Watts (retired)

I'd like to see those five competing for the spot.

davesnothere

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Wouldn't say Surman is a lock but he has better financial options elsewhere that he's giving up. I'm sure there are KPIs to be met but he's here for a reason.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Nice size good set of hands and can play either end a handy addition to the Maggie's.
Reads the flight of the ball well, and not afraid to take front position either.

Didn't he quit footy for a short time with mental anxiety issues or something? May have been when he was with Hawthorn. Hopefully the lad is ok now and has worked through those issues.

Lets hope he is a good 'un and no other club picks him in the mid year or supplementary drafts.

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Reads the flight of the ball well, and not afraid to take front position either.

Didn't he quit footy for a short time with mental anxiety issues or something? May have been when he was with Hawthorn. Hopefully the lad is ok now and has worked through those issues.

Lets hope he is a good 'un and no other club picks him in the mid year or supplementary drafts.
Yeah when he was at hawthorn M8 I think his first yr.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He lumbers a bit, so is carrying too much weight. However I like his physique & mobility. I reckon he has the potential to be an AFL player if he loses some weight & gets AFL fit.
Yeah you can't be that height and mobility in the AFL.

He moves like a 210cm ruckman but is too short to play that role.

I wouldnt write him off but you would need to see what he moves like when he has AFL level fitness and weight (and if he has the motivation to get there).

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

benblinkau

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2011
Newcastle
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Port Adelaide has indicated it will assess prospects ahead of the mid-season draft, rather than add anyone during the SSP. That will allow its recruiters to watch three months of football where youngsters overlooked at the draft have a chance to shine. Glenelg forward Kaine Baldwin may be an option if he shows he has recovered from his second consecutive ACL injury. Baldwin was considered a possible top-10 pick in 2019, given his ability to pluck marks and crash packs, only to suffer his injury setbacks. The Power drafted Sandringham Dragons tall forward Ollie Lord but a highly-touted local spearhead could be tough to bypass. Port Adelaide might instead look to strengthen its depth with a more experienced state-league player to help its premiership tilt. If it went down that path, ex-Hawthorn swingman Luke Surman might be an option. He walked away from the Hawks midway through 2017 after a year and a half on their rookie list, before returning to Norwood. Surman has joined Port Adelaide’s SANFL team as a top-up player.

Just pick Baldwin now. He is a great talent and won’t be short of suitors in a mid season draft, where we will be behind a few clubs.

Get him in early, rehabbing in an AFL environment. Picking him now basically costs us nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just pick Baldwin now. He is a great talent and won’t be short of suitors in a mid season draft, where we will be behind a few clubs.

Get him in early, rehabbing in an AFL environment. Picking him now basically costs us nothing.

I agree, and I know we have had our eyes on him. To me its a no-brainer, so maybe the club knows a bit more about his current condition.

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?

I totally agree. If you look at our players under 25, there are two glaring deficiencies- Key Defenders and a contested marking tall forward (Georgiades will be best suited as that third tall). I'm not worried about the key defenders. The 3 who did the job for us last year were Jonas, Clurey and McKenzie. Jonas was rookie draft and McKenzie was a delisted free agent. You can get good key defenders with later picks.

Good key forwards are much harder to get, especially contested marking talls. If you want an A Grade contested marking tall forward, you either sell the farm and get a mature player like Dixon or use a high draft pick on a player like Lynch or Naughton- we are unlikely to have a high draft pick in the next few years.

So the risk on Baldwin is absolutely worth it. I have no doubt it is a high risk option. But it is also high reward. Our chances of getting a player with the potential of Baldwin through other channels is negligible. Take a punt on his knees.

Jan 20, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I totally agree. If you look at our players under 25, there are two glaring deficiencies- Key Defenders and a contested marking tall forward (Georgiades will be best suited as that third tall). I'm not worried about the key defenders. The 3 who did the job for us last year were Jonas, Clurey and McKenzie. Jonas was rookie draft and McKenzie was a delisted free agent. You can get good key defenders with later picks.

Good key forwards are much harder to get, especially contested marking talls. If you want an A Grade contested marking tall forward, you either sell the farm and get a mature player like Dixon or use a high draft pick on a player like Lynch or Naughton- we are unlikely to have a high draft pick in the next few years.

So the risk on Baldwin is absolutely worth it. I have no doubt it is a high risk option. But it is also high reward. Our chances of getting a player with the potential of Baldwin through other channels is negligible. Take a punt on his knees.
I don’t even see it as high risk. You are giving a guy a 2 year contract to get right. Nothing can go wrong other than he doesn’t make it. There are nearly 40 other players on the list, some of them won’t make it either. We can afford to blow 1 list spot on a player like this.

benblinkau

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2011
Newcastle
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur

Couldn’t agree more. We have the spot, so use it!!

It’s an ACL. It’s not the 90’s anymore and there are only a handful of examples of someone not being able to get an ACL right. There’s at least 10 within the AFL every year and almost all of them get back with minimal long-term issues.

benblinkau

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2011
Newcastle
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I don’t even see it as high risk. You are giving a guy a 2 year contract to get right. Nothing can go wrong other than he doesn’t make it. There are nearly 40 other players on the list, some of them won’t make it either. We can afford to blow 1 list spot on a player like this.

Bang on.

It’s not like he has had a leg removed.

Christ, on one leg surely he gives us more than Bonner, Kane Mitchell, Mitch Harvey and Tom Rischbieth combined!

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I agree that a bug strong KPP that we can build both the forward and back half around is a big issue. Not sure a guy with multiple ACLs injures at his age is the way to go and, whilst size isnt everything, we are probably better suited with a guy closer to 200cm than 190.

Back half looks not too bad in the short term on the back of getting Aliir who turns 27s this year so he has plenty of time left. As does Clurey who is 26 so also heaps of time left & McKenzie 28. Then there is a completely untested Pasini (19) who probably lacks a bit of size to be a focal point of the back 6 and Jonas at 30... So another genuine (young) big key defender would be nice.

Forward half probably a different story and more of a pressing need. Dixon is 31 this year so we absolutely need to look at his replacement.
Mitch Georgiadies really looks like the sky is his limit, slightly undersized for a KPF at 192 but you wouldn't know that the way he attacks the ball, noting he was second only to Dixon for contested marks I50 in his first year. Obviously there is a untested Lord who we just drafted and Marshall, who now going into his 5th year really needs to step up and show us he has what it takes to be a focal point in the forward line.

Im not yet confident Marshall can be that player, and whist we have heard MG is being planned as more an Ebo style half forward than forward (and Schofeild likening him to a Fyfe last year) i can really see him pushing Marshall out of the side as the second tall forward, especially if we continue with 2 rucks (which we probably all expect) and Fantasia coming in and Williams hunting for a spot this really starts to put on pressure in the forward half.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I agree that a bug strong KPP that we can build both the forward and back half around is a big issue. Not sure a guy with multiple ACLs injures at his age is the way to go and, whilst size isnt everything, we are probably better suited with a guy closer to 200cm than 190.

Back half looks not too bad in the short term on the back of getting Aliir who turns 27s this year so he has plenty of time left. As does Clurey who is 26 so also heaps of time left & McKenzie 28. Then there is a completely untested Pasini (19) who probably lacks a bit of size to be a focal point of the back 6 and Jonas at 30... So another genuine (young) big key defender would be nice.

Forward half probably a different story and more of a pressing need. Dixon is 31 this year so we absolutely need to look at his replacement.
Mitch Georgiadies really looks like the sky is his limit, slightly undersized for a KPF at 192 but you wouldn't know that the way he attacks the ball, noting he was second only to Dixon for contested marks I50 in his first year. Obviously there is a untested Lord who we just drafted and Marshall, who now going into his 5th year really needs to step up and show us he has what it takes to be a focal point in the forward line.

Im not yet confident Marshall can be that player, and whist we have heard MG is being planned as more an Ebo style half forward than forward (and Schofeild likening him to a Fyfe last year) i can really see him pushing Marshall out of the side as the second tall forward, especially if we continue with 2 rucks (which we probably all expect) and Fantasia coming in and Williams hunting for a spot this really starts to put on pressure in the forward half.
"I agree that a bug strong KPP ..."

After that I read the entire post with a Kiwi accent .... It was fentestuc!

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I agree with you in principle. Baldwin is NOT a big full-forward, he is more a KPP in the modE mentioned below in Draft Central. The thing with him is that he is a huge talent, and without the ACL issue, would have been a top-10 pick IMO. He plays very much like Georgiades, except more composed, & IMO more skilful. He would have ended up playing as a Fyfe-like mid-fielder. Risk/reward with him is huge.

The issue is the re-injuring of his ACL ... The club would have a good idea on that.

FROM DRAFT CENTRAL
Based on the limited vision and game time attached to Baldwin, there is still a fair bit to unpack about how he plays. Although he measures up at slightly under the true key position height (193cm), the Glenelg product plays much like a modern day centre half-forward. While some of his most eye-catching plays occur as he crashes packs and clunks big marks closer to goal, Baldwin is also capable of floating further afield and racking up plenty of possessions as a key link into forward 50.

The way in which he attacks the ball in flight and holds onto contested marks with his vice-like grip is truly special, making him one of the top pure markers among his peers – if not, the best. Baldwin has trimmed his frame a touch from preseason – from 93kg to 90kg – but still possesses the right amount of strength and aggression to translate this side of his game to the next level.

But that slightly trimmed figure, Baldwin’s high-level endurance, and his own suggestion that midfield time may be in the offing all point towards plenty more stings to his bow. Fresh off his first ACL recovery, Baldwin recorded a 20.8 Yo-yo test score during preseason, so just imagine the level he could get to with an extended run and some game time. He gathered 18 disposals and seven marks in his SANFL Under 18s debut, after averaging 21.8 disposals, 9.6 marks, and 2.8 goals throughout a dominant Under 16s campaign in 2018.

That kind of versatility, and the potential to truly dominate games by covering the ground and owning the airways makes Baldwin such an exciting prospect. It remains largely untapped, though, and clubs will need to provide the right support to help the youngster get pack to peak fitness while nurturing that positional transition. Still, the likes of Nick Riewoldt and Charlie Curnow measure up at the same height, so with a similar running capacity, Baldwin may well be able to stick to his roots and carve out an equally successful career up forward.

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I agree with you in principle. Baldwin is NOT a big full-forward, he is more a KPP in the modE mentioned below in Draft Central. The thing with him is that he is a huge talent, and without the ACL issue, would have been a top-10 pick IMO. He plays very much like Georgiades, except more composed, & IMO more skilful. He would have ended up playing as a Fyfe-like mid-fielder. Risk/reward with him is huge.

The issue is the re-injuring of his ACL ... The club would have a good idea on that.

FROM DRAFT CENTRAL
Based on the limited vision and game time attached to Baldwin, there is still a fair bit to unpack about how he plays. Although he measures up at slightly under the true key position height (193cm), the Glenelg product plays much like a modern day centre half-forward. While some of his most eye-catching plays occur as he crashes packs and clunks big marks closer to goal, Baldwin is also capable of floating further afield and racking up plenty of possessions as a key link into forward 50.

The way in which he attacks the ball in flight and holds onto contested marks with his vice-like grip is truly special, making him one of the top pure markers among his peers – if not, the best. Baldwin has trimmed his frame a touch from preseason – from 93kg to 90kg – but still possesses the right amount of strength and aggression to translate this side of his game to the next level.

But that slightly trimmed figure, Baldwin’s high-level endurance, and his own suggestion that midfield time may be in the offing all point towards plenty more stings to his bow. Fresh off his first ACL recovery, Baldwin recorded a 20.8 Yo-yo test score during preseason, so just imagine the level he could get to with an extended run and some game time. He gathered 18 disposals and seven marks in his SANFL Under 18s debut, after averaging 21.8 disposals, 9.6 marks, and 2.8 goals throughout a dominant Under 16s campaign in 2018.

That kind of versatility, and the potential to truly dominate games by covering the ground and owning the airways makes Baldwin such an exciting prospect. It remains largely untapped, though, and clubs will need to provide the right support to help the youngster get pack to peak fitness while nurturing that positional transition. Still, the likes of Nick Riewoldt and Charlie Curnow measure up at the same height, so with a similar running capacity, Baldwin may well be able to stick to his roots and carve out an equally successful career up forward.

Not being a big full forward was pretty much my point, i think we want that big full forward to cover Dixons spot in a few year especially given he have Georgidies in this role (not that means we can have both by any stretch, if they both developed they way the could it would give us great flexibility)

Im not apposed to drafting him and agree there is probably huge Risk V Reward, but multiple ACLs to his age would make anyone nervous and probably impact the chance of him becoming that midfielder. I could be completely wrong, he may never have another issue and bounce back post ACL like Gray but at the same time he could be another Menzel. As you said its Risk V Reward, if there no better prospect why not have a crack.

I constantly make the same argument about Georgiadies ability to be a gun KPF for us, which would also give us even more benefit in looking at a Dixon replacement. Maybe that could be Lord, maybe not, others would have far better an idea how he plays and would factor that into to our list management decisions here.

Back