Game Day The Prelims 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Papley is fast becoming one of my favourite troll players in the league, bit like Toby Greene without any of the off field baggage

Gee I have some Carlton supporting mates on Facebook who are just plain embarrassing themselves with vitriolic posts against Collingwood.

They made the Prelim - we didn’t.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Agree. In one of the closest seasons for top 8 positions, making the final 4 is a great achievement.

Melbourne going out in straight sets after a 10-0 start would be fairly tough for Dee supporters.

If people want to give it to Collingwood supporters, let 'em.

If I had a dollar for every Collingwood troll that tried it on after round 22, I'd have around $50.

I’d go as far as saying the mods should let the Pies trolls in so we can go “head-to-head” with them in a good old fashioned insults shoot out.

I’m certainly up for the fight!

Agree. In one of the closest seasons for top 8 positions, making the final 4 is a great achievement.

Melbourne going out in straight sets after a 10-0 start would be fairly tough for Dee supporters.

They still have last year's drought breaking flag to celebrate, I doubt they would be as filthy as Pies fans right now.

Obviously Ginnivan failed geometry?

I didn't know that rule existed and i'ts seriously stupid for mine.
It is not stupid. The players all know the mark is at the 9 m. Umpires should not have to call player back. Ginnivan was stiff being the first player to be called for it. Pies are making a big deal about a 50 that shouldn’t have that much influence.

The Noble 50 was clearly there but the Dacos one was overly severe given as I couldn’t see a free in the first place and the players would have had no idea which way it was going

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bloody Port posters sniffing out Likes. Job well done mate (always a welcome visitor)
Thanks mate - you guys are a good bunch. Hopefully our 2 clubs both kick a couple of this year's no hopers out of the 8 next year: maybe we can meet in a final.

Is that really the origin of the name?
Nah... it's a more modern nickname... but Collingwood did have a large number of tanners and leatherworkers down along the banks of the Yarra.

I grew up in the north of melb and you either Barracked for Carlton or Collingwood and after we lost the last round i and a few
Carlton mates have copped
It hard so anyone that says it’s embarrassing to give it back doesnt get it … it’s so satisfying them being so cocky and lose regardless how s**t we are

Can't remember if Essendon made the finals in 1997 and 1998, but they lost preliminary finals by a point in 1996 and 1999. Maybe Collingwood can be inspired by that, and go missing for the next 2 seasons, and then lose another preliminary final by a point in 2025.
I don't like 2026 in this scenario

It's a classic game plan. I'm certainly a fan. They rarely play a lose man at the stoppages and purely hunt the ball (unlike us). Teams who do, the forwards set up for the ball coming in more controlled and play unaccountable and hunt the ball, they let the lose defenders just sit off. The defenders know they can play unaccountable and sit in the hole because they know the midfield applies pressure and it will be bombed in. This is how Collingwood brought us undone both times. It's how they have been winning all season. Sydney's forwards were very good at being accountable, they knew the ball was likely to come in bombed and played for it. It's why I have been having a go at our forwards for being unaccountable, unwilling to sacrifice and lacking leadership in the area. Could be coaching as well. Our forward line is the elephant in the room.

The up the corridor game, how often that comes off is nuts. Yeah they rebound from defence well and hit targets really well but a lot of it is the opposition players lack of concentration IMO. They aren't expecting it. Against them, as soon as you get ahead you would be working really hard to cover a man if you were in the middle because they will be looking for it.

It's hard to zone the middle of the ground up, players just have to defend better one on one. Or you do zone it up, one on one the wings and try and catch them at half back with a team defence. But the ball may still move too quickly.

I think we had it figured out in the last game we played. We just kept them really wide and stopped their run and managed to keep them out of the middle for most of it but lack of fitness and concentration late in the game we let them back in there. Only reason we lost that game was due to the immaturity of our forwards as I mentioned above. Had our forwards defended better we would not have been beaten early or let them up the middle late in the game or let them out as quick. They took a lot of intercept marks early because no one made any moves to stop it. Sydney on the other hand, their forwards found a good balance between defending and attacking.
Great post. If we had taken our chances early in the last we'd have got 6 goals up and that would of been enough.

Amused how those that were carrying on about how the Qualifying Finals winner are disadvantaged are not heard from when they both win their preliminary finals. The theory of such a small sample size was just that. A theory that over time was never likely to show much follow through in results.

The teams through to the grand final had a week off before their first final and another week off before their second final and both won through to the grand final.

One of the teams is on a 15 match winning streak and the other a 9 match winning streak.
I do not know what winning streak we were on during the season, but it was nothing like these two teams.
The most deserving teams through to the grand final.
We beat one of them and lost to the other.
Plenty to learn from as a club in terms of consistency within games and throughout a long season.
Hope it lives up to potential as a good grand final.
My tip is the team that played the best against us will win it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back