The premiership race is not wide open

Remove this Banner Ad

Nathan Buckley claiming that success of Collingwood coming from players developing under his watch.

Interesting things about Nathans overseeing of other players.

1) As a player Bucks had some control over team being forceful with his input under Shaw . Malthouse has to teach him to back out of that area

Collingwood improve and reach two GFs

2)Bucks retires as player in 2017

Collingwood move to a GF and premiership in 2010

3)Bucks takes over coaching role from Mick

Collingwood decline for about six straight seasons

4)Bucks steps back and delegates more to assistants at start of 2018

Collingwood make GF

5)Bucks steps down as coach

Collingwood surge up ladder from 16th to 2nd

It was funny to hear the way Malthouse described telling Buckley to keep out of the coaching. He said Buckley would say something and Malthouse would disagree with him no matter what it was. It was like he needed to be trained to do it.

Nathan Buckley claiming that success of Collingwood coming from players developing under his watch.

Interesting things about Nathans overseeing of other players.

1) As a player Bucks had some control over team being forceful with his input under Shaw . Malthouse has to teach him to back out of that area

Collingwood improve and reach two GFs

2)Bucks retires as player in 2017

Collingwood move to a GF and premiership in 2010

3)Bucks takes over coaching role from Mick

Collingwood decline for about six straight seasons

4)Bucks steps back and delegates more to assistants at start of 2018

Collingwood make GF

5)Bucks steps down as coach

Collingwood surge up ladder from 16th to 2nd

It was funny to hear the way Malthouse described telling Buckley to keep out of the coaching. He said Buckley would say something and Malthouse would disagree with him no matter what it was. It was like he needed to be trained to do it.
The comprehensive list of s**t kicking aside, I'd say most of the list did develop under him. 🤷‍♂️

If it was completely irrelevant, we'd be unbackable favorites to win the flag right now. The footy world knows we have some issues which come abound in September.

I remember feeling very confident heading into the 2016 qualifying final against Hawthorn. Our form was red hot while they were WLWLW.
We barely scraped past them. Literally took Isaac Smith's missed shot at goal to hand us the win. It should never have been close to begin with. The Bulldogs put them to the sword the following week with one strong quarter of football.

This is why every Geelong supporter should be feeling uneasy. But it appears they are not. Quite confident and somewhat arrogant and that is always a worry. The players would sense that living in the bubble that they do. Never bodes well for us.
Hope I'm wrong but Collingwood wouldn't mind meeting us at the MCG in week one. I think Sydney wouldn't mind it either.
I’m uneasy of course due to past years but we can’t keep losing finals forever. The tide has to turn at some point. Why can’t this year be the year it turns?

Trouble is the Grand Final is seven weeks away. A lot of things can happen between now and then. Injuries, reports covid etc
Cameron, Duncan, Guthrie, Kolodjashnij and Stanley all under injury clouds as Geelong head into week one of the finals.

I know all those injuries have been labelled as precautionary, but if Geelong happen to fail in the finals this year then I have no doubt they'll be saying it's because those players were injured.

There really should be no excuses for Geelong to not win it this year, especially when David King has highlighted a stat showing they're the most dominant team since Geelong 2007.

Cameron, Duncan, Guthrie, Kolodjashnij and Stanley all under injury clouds as Geelong head into week one of the finals.

I know all those injuries have been labelled as precautionary, but if Geelong happen to fail in the finals this year then I have no doubt they'll be saying it's because those players were injured.

There really should be no excuses for Geelong to not win it this year, especially when David King has highlighted a stat showing they're the most dominant team since Geelong 2007.
Because David King is the best analyst in the game

I rate Sydney and Melbourne above Geelong. It could come down to which of those 3 is not playing one of the others in the prelim. They'll have the easier run going into the big dance while the other two bash each other in what should be a great game for neutrals. Then the winner of that loses to the 3rd in the grand final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond is still in my mix. I rate them above my Pies and Freo
Agree. Good news for the pies is they’re unlikely to meet the tigers now.

Even if they don’t get up against Geelong, the SF would likely be against Freo at the G.

If the tigers play the swans in the SF at the SCG, that would most likely be season over for them.

Agree. Good news for the pies is they’re unlikely to meet the tigers now.

Even if they don’t get up against Geelong, the SF would likely be against Freo at the G.

If the tigers play the swans in the SF at the SCG, that would most likely be season over for them.
Nice... Pies are off to the prelim

At this stage Geelong is the 6th or 7th best team in it, probably only ahead of the Dogs and maybe Brisbane

My prediction;

1661132309170.png

Pies vs Tigers PF could go either way although I think Melbourne will take care of the winner regardless.

Are the AFL having the stupid pre-finals bye again this year?

If so, it will probably result in some bizarre and ridiculous finals series, with St Kilda somehow fluking 8th spot and going on to win the premiership.
Yes they are, and time will tell who benefits and who is disadvantaged. For instance, Geelong have a poor record in qualifying finals coming off the bye.

i dont get why everyone is tipping us to go so deep. we're 7th for a reason.
It's because Richmond has won 3 premierships and their form over the last 15 weeks has been pretty good.

They went 2-4 over the first 6 when guys like Dusty, Vlaustin, Grimes, Prestia, Grimes and Riewoldt were in and out of the team

Since then 11-1-4 and 2 of those losses were by 3 to Geelong and 6 against Sydney at the SCG

The path forward is Brisbane, whose last 3 years has been 3 years of complete finals underachieving. Then likely Sydney. Then an MCG prelim against Geelong or Collingwood.

That's why people think Richmond is a smoky.

we want geelong to win week 1 so that their post bye stumble comes in the prelim

This is exactly what worries me. Winning week 1 is overrated especially for us.
Since pre finals bye Only 4 of 10 qualifying final winners have made a Grand Final. 2 of 8 if you don’t count sides beating Geelong.

The one time we won a qualifying final we got spanked by Sydney in a preliminary and they weren’t that good.
Other smashings we copped were at least to bloody good sides. But we did win one against Brisbane at their home ground after losing week 1.

Geelong v Collingwood qualifying final is the least important final week 1. The loser should make the prelim anyway and I reckon Collingwood wouldn’t mind a match up v Melbourne that week.
As for us a prelim will be tough whoever it’s against. Melbourne, Richmond maybe Sydney away but at least we won’t have had another bye if we lose to the Pies.

Pies might want to remember losing to a depleted GWS side in a prelim after beating us.
Winning qualifying finals is overrated.

It's because Richmond has won 3 premierships and their form over the last 15 weeks has been pretty good.

They went 2-4 over the first 6 when guys like Dusty, Vlaustin, Grimes, Prestia, Grimes and Riewoldt were in and out of the team

Since then 11-1-4 and 2 of those losses were by 3 to Geelong and 6 against Sydney at the SCG

The path forward is Brisbane, whose last 3 years has been 3 years of complete finals underachieving. Then likely Sydney. Then an MCG prelim against Geelong or Collingwood.

That's why people think Richmond is a smoky.

We are favourites in all those games. Probably only not favourites against Dees in a GF.

Lions are a guaranteed win, pies luck will run out, cats are just crap in finals and are our bunnies. We should’ve beaten Sydney and we had an injury ridden team over there. Don’t think Dusty was even playing. Big chance to win from 7th.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back