The premiership race is not wide open

Remove this Banner Ad

Dumb dumbs like you never learn. Geelong always fall apart in finals.

They were gifted the easiest draw imaginable this year as a parting gift for Hocking; play Melbourne once (Kardinia), play Brisbane once (Kardinia) play North Melbourne TWICE.
What a dumb take.

We play Richmond once (MCG), Collingwood once (MCG), Sydney once (SCG), Giants once (Canberra). All games against teams who fancy (or ar least did before the season started) themselves finalists in 2022.

As for double ups, thats the luck of the draw. St Kilda already took a game off us, and WCE, Port and Doggies were all tipped to be finalists (and potentially top 4).

How anyone could’ve predicted that is beyond me.

currently the favs for sure but these remaining few rounds will provide us with the team who is in the best form for finals, Geelong on paper has the easiest draw but pissing in easy wins against North and West Coast won't tell us anything and not playing a contender again could do more harm than good. Still got Melbourne, Freo, Brisbane hanging around each with big games against other good teams which will show us who is the best team.

also finals are always a different beast and Geelong have failed at the final hurdle many times in recent years so not sure how anybody could be so confident.

Everyone is saying the premiership race is wide open. I don't agree with this at all as it seems pretty clear cut who the best side is. The best side is Geelong and everyone else is playing for second. Runners up race on the other hand is pretty open with about six teams a chance to make the grand final. Pisses me off because Geelong have been dominating for 15 years now.

2022 premiers - Geelong.
2022 runners up - Brisbane, Carlton, Collingwood, Fremantle, Melbourne or Sydney.

Put your house on the Cats to win the premiership. $3.50 odds with the TAB you won't have to worry about lotto tickets again.

I agree with you OP... about Geelong and getting bags Grand Final day.
But Melbourne are going to start firing up now and I can see them running over the top of the Cats on Grand Final day.

So for me yeah it's Geelong with Melbourne the only threat.

Geelong look ominous and a relatively cruisy finish - Port will put up a fight as will Suns up at Metricon, but even if they drop a game it still looks like top spot is sewn up.

Dees have a very interesting run home. With away games against Lions and Freo, and a rematch against the Pies, if they can finish off the season with 5 straight wins then I’m backing them in come finals.

Hawthorn and Essendon fans doing the ladder predictor
Essendon beat Collingwood, North, GWS, Port (in Melbourne), Richmond = 11 wins.
Richmond lose to Fremantle, Brisbane, Port away, Essendon. Beat Hawthorn = 10 wins (which also takes Hawthorn out of it).
Bulldogs lose to Melbourne, Geelong, Fremantle and Hawthorn (in Tassie). Beat GWS = 10 wins.
St Kilda lose to West Coast in Perth, Geelong, Brisbane and Sydney. Beat Hawthorn = 10 wins
Port lose to Geelong, Collingwood, Essendon away. Beat Adelaide and Richmond = 10 wins
Gold Coast lose to Brisbane, Hawthorn in Tassie and Geelong. Beat West Coast and North = 10 wins.

Essendon make finals. Easy.

Last edited:
Geelong are in the mix nothing more, nothing less, but what is humorous is all the hurt coming from Richmond fans. This comes from their belief that their team is still top dog and that it is only conspiracy and poor fortune that has stopped them from dominating. Blame everyone else culture is prevalent at Punt Road.

Everyone is saying the premiership race is wide open. I don't agree with this at all as it seems pretty clear cut who the best side is. The best side is Geelong and everyone else is playing for second. Runners up race on the other hand is pretty open with about six teams a chance to make the grand final. Pisses me off because Geelong have been dominating for 15 years now.

2022 premiers - Geelong.
2022 runners up - Brisbane, Carlton, Collingwood, Fremantle, Melbourne or Sydney.

Put your house on the Cats to win the premiership. $3.50 odds with the TAB you won't have to worry about lotto tickets again.
We have far too many weak points in our armour for that to be the case.

Our ruck division has held up well for the last two months, but is fairly brittle. Stanley in particular can get beaten up in the air.
We are slightly undersized in defence - de Koening has been great, but the next-tallest is Jack Henry at 191cm and he does rely on help from others.
We don't have the blunt star power in the middle that Melbourne does. Dangerfield and Guthrie are good, but they are 8/10 good, not Oliver and Petracca's 10/10 good.

We're 13 and 4, and were very lucky to get over Richmond and the Dogs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong should be shorter favourites than in 2007/2008

Every other contender is flaky at best. And 2 of their losses were to irrelevant teams outside of the 8

Cats could barely beat Richmond. Not even close to premiership certs.

The majority of your supporters and some media pundits most notably Mark Robinson were talking Richmond up as top 4 certainties after losing to us. Countless Richmond fans were predicting you to finish 4th and us first and for you to beat us in the QF.

Now that you've choked games v Suns and NM, you are rewriting history to claim that Geelong beating Richmond by less than a goal is somehow a sign that Geelong is no good.

Not sure if you lot are doing some masterclass in irony or are just deluded.

Geelong should be shorter favourites than in 2007/2008

Every other contender is flaky at best. And 2 of their losses were to irrelevant teams outside of the 8

Dees have been foxing since round 11. They have had nothing to play for in the last month and a half.

They will ramp things up in the run home. If they bring the pressure they did v Brisbane, which was the closest they've had to a must-win game all season, they'll be extremely hard to beat at the G.

Essendon beat Collingwood, North, GWS, Port (in Melbourne), Richmond = 11 wins.
Richmond lose to Fremantle, Brisbane, Port away, Essendon. Beat Hawthorn = 10 wins (which also takes Hawthorn out of it).
Bulldogs lose to Melbourne, Geelong, Fremantle and Hawthorn (in Tassie). Beat GWS = 10 wins.
St Kilda lose to West Coast in Perth, Geelong, Brisbane and Sydney. Beat Hawthorn = 10 wins
Port lose to Geelong, Collingwood, Essendon away. Beat Adelaide and Richmond = 10 wins
Gold Coast lose to Brisbane, Hawthorn in Tassie and Geelong. Beat West Coast and North = 10 wins.

Essendon make finals. Easy.
That was the interesting thing when I looked last night, none of those results are really surprising (you could switch St Kilda with the WC and Hawthorn results), apart from Essendon or Hawthorn winning their last 5

If somehow Essendon or Hawthorn could somehow get 5 wins (very unlikely), 11 wins could make it.

We probably end up losing to North this week

Last edited:
What a dumb take.

We play Richmond once (MCG), Collingwood once (MCG), Sydney once (SCG), Giants once (Canberra). All games against teams who fancy (or ar least did before the season started) themselves finalists in 2022.

As for double ups, thats the luck of the draw. St Kilda already took a game off us, and WCE, Port and Doggies were all tipped to be finalists (and potentially top 4).

How anyone could’ve predicted that is beyond me.

Thats news if people had us top 8 with not winning a game in our first 6

2022 premiers - Geelong.

Best thing about Geelong making another grand final is Gary Rohan winning another Leon

There is a different air to Geelong this year, those who criticise their decade plus of success are just envious and it irks them that they haven't fallen over yet. Success is any team that regularly makes the top 4 and that has been Geelong for the past decade, they did win the flag three itimes in five years before that. Of course it is still wide open, but this Geelong team have beaten Melbourne who are still very good and the up and coming Blues by 5 goals in successive weeks. They were 5-4 2 months ago and are now 13-4, whatever game plan they have switched too has taken time, but is now working.
They have Stewart and Parfitt to return, Bews won't be a medi sub again and Menagola will only miss a week with concussion, the team can only improve further. O'Connor, Miers and Kolo being the weakest links? Then there is Evans, Neale, Stevens, Simpson, Conway and maybe even Ceglar who could fill a role. The depth is looking much better. I'm not so sure they will fall over at all this year?

All very well but you failed to mention The Grohan and Scotty's desire to pick him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back