The premiership race is not wide open

Conan Troutman

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2005
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
The Grand Final was the prelim... Cats v Pies

Should of been week after ..that's my point. They were the best two sides.
Port beat Geelong at Kardinia Park only 2 weeks before finals. They were the only team to beat Geelong after round 5. They finished second on the ladder after H/A (Pies were 6th).

At the time, Port were clearly ranked higher than the Pies. The only people i've seen saying Pies were 2nd best have said that years later.

Odds:

2007 prelims...
Port $1.35 v North $3.75
Cats $1.28 v Pies $4.40

2007 grand final...
Cats $1.36 v Port $3.00

freddy mercury

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Jacksonville
Melbourne, Geelong and Richmond if they get on a roll are the contenders. All Richmond have to do is make the 8 and it's likely they'll play their finals at home.

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Melbourne, Geelong and Richmond if they get on a roll are the contenders. All Richmond have to do is make the 8 and it's likely they'll play their finals at home.
Huh?

With Brisbane, Freo and Sydney all finishing higher than Richmond, they're likely to run into at least one of these teams whilst they remain in finals contention.

Geelong's to lose..

Just got to win 3 in row in Melbourne.

On form we are in the box seat but i have seen us botch finals before. If we get say freo/coll in a QF and then coll/bris in a PF there will be no excuses.

I dont think Richmond would win from 7th or 8th they will probably have to go to Optus, GABBA, or SCG... That will be tough in an elim final...

The pre finals bye will help them but i agree unless they get all their injured guys back (including dusty)i dont see them winning those on the road finals.

Are you saying were s**t?

Youre not s**t but you are simply decent. Compared to the melb/rich teams that we lost PFs and GFs to recently you are not the same level imo.

So unless we get melb in a final and they find their old form there will be no excuses for us at all, we havent had a better run to get to a GF than 2011. We better not botch it.

Pistol Night

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Youre not s**t but you are simply decent. Compared to the melb/rich teams that we lost PFs and GFs to recently you are not the same level imo.

So unless we get melb in a final and they find their old form there will be no excuses for us at all, we havent had a better run to get to a GF than 2011. We better not bottle it.
Yeah agreed. Jezza Cameron will be a nightmare much up for us if we meet

PJays

Club Legend
Suspended
Nov 2, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Since 2007. Geelong has

9 times- finished top 2

3 times- finished 3rd or 4th

2 times- finished 5-8

Once missed the 8

Results

From 9 top 2 finishes And 12 top 4 finishes in 15 years

- Made 5 GFs- 3 wins, 2 losses

- Lost 6 prelims - 4 big losses. 2 close or close ish

- Lost 1 semi final

- Lost 2 elimination finals

Although, Brisbane's record over the past 3 years is much worse than Geelong's. Freo haven't played finals in a long time.

So if we're comparing finals records, Geelong has underachieved compared to Home and Away but they're not the only one with question marks.

And as Port Adelaide proved in 2004, past finals results don't guarantee you can't climb the mountain

Macca180

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2021
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
On form we are in the box seat but i have seen us botch finals before. If we get say freo/coll in a QF and then coll/bris in a PF there will be no excuses.

we have all seen it. But I cant remember a recent choking Cats side look this good and this even.

we have all seen it. But I cant remember a recent choking Cats side look this good and this even.
I reckon Gold Coast will expose us up there next week and we'll go into a death spiral and finish bottom 4

Kobe Gryant

extremely overqualified chemistry teacher
Jul 31, 2021
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Lakers
Well they did beat us earlier in the season when we were three games in with a new coaching hierarchy.

Collingwood can't have possibly improved enough to beat them since then....

That's fair, but the same is true for us. We only really got a handle on the new gameplan in May, and we persisted with it even though we were losing games we would've won had we played our old style. It was short term pain for long term gain.

A Pies/Cats final would be awesome I reckon, but would prefer it to be a GF than QF. Keep the build up going and have both teams go in on 15 game streaks.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Port beat Geelong at Kardinia Park only 2 weeks before finals. They were the only team to beat Geelong after round 5. They finished second on the ladder after H/A (Pies were 6th).

At the time, Port were clearly ranked higher than the Pies. The only people i've seen saying Pies were 2nd best have said that years later.

Odds:

2007 prelims...
Port $1.35 v North $3.75
Cats $1.28 v Pies $4.40

2007 grand final...
Cats $1.36 v Port $3.00

It's weird to me that Port Adelaide in 2014 seems to be a very similar situation to Collingwood in 2007, yet I never hear that Port v Hawthorn in the 2014 PF was the real grand final.

biggiemediums

Norm Smith Medallist
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 20, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
That's fair, but the same is true for us. We only really got a handle on the new gameplan in May, and we persisted with it even though we were losing games we would've won had we played our old style. It was short term pain for long term gain.

A Pies/Cats final would be awesome I reckon, but would prefer it to be a GF than QF. Keep the build up going and have both teams go in on 15 game streaks.

I was thinking that last night. If both managed it, has there ever been a GF where both teams were on win streaks like that? Would be epic.

Back