Hot Topic The Pres, CEO & the Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice nine year wait for your first post, an attack on Judd and the board :rolleyes:. Do you have any evidence to present or empty handed like your chums?
Just google it buddy, not hard-I guess you’re the type of person that’s just easily pleased & that’s ok.
As a business this club is so far behind other clubs. 15-20 years ago would you have thought we would be competing with the likes of St Kilda and the Bulldogs on membership numbers? Tigers,Pies & Hawks currently have 80-90k we are light years behind. Even if we start winning games we can’t expect to catch up.
While we are on the topic please provide some commentary on how a club board allows a sponser to come on board and for that business to go into administration less than 18 months later? Where was the due diligence? Can’t imagine a global company like Hyundai loved sharing co sponsorship honours with a dodgy education provider.

All I can do is pass on what I've been told. If you choose not to believe it that's up to you, but others may find it interesting so ill let them to make up their own minds.

As for speaking to young players, did you not read the two articles being referred to? Ill post them here for you:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/em...s/news-story/76a8a2ca4822344af84ecab1e3115a69

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...FjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw00kCdK32ZBz9KWs88j2Ygz

A mad Eagles fan growing up back home in Western Australia, there's perhaps just one more player Fisher hopes will one day have an impact on his career.
" I met Chris Judd once. he's a big man, which was surprising," Fisher laughs. "He's on the board and around the club, but I'm a bit scared to introduce myself"

Shocking stuff by Judd :rolleyes:

I would like to see SOS look further afield than GWS for our rebuild strategy.

Every player he has acquired via that GWS trade has question marks. Pickett. Marchy are talented but injury prone. Plowman is solid at best no star. Lamb most fluctuate in opinion depending on week. Phillip's injury prone. Kennedy injury prone and unknown at the moment. It's a high risk high reward strategy.

For me we watch and wait. For Bolton like a plethora of similar coaches in similar position, as time goes on he becomes more vulnerable (Primus, McCartney, Neeld, Harvey, Waters - all development first that didnt last long than 2-3yrs).

We need a different approach if bolton's to buck the historical trend

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

He has clearly gone for the value get rather than give up a first rounder which is why the focus on GWS. For me Marchy, Plowman and Kennedy have shown enough to say they will be good players. Pickett has elite pace and can kick a goal, whilst Lamb has been a surprise - he is really trying to keep playing and has turned himself into a serial pest.

I think its more a case of getting players from other clubs to play at Carlton. At this stage the ones we are likely to get are those looking for more playing opportunities.

Well they have flagged a changed approach for this years trading/drafting season so lets hope they can get good players across.

Just google it buddy, not hard-I guess you’re the type of person that’s just easily pleased & that’s ok.
As a business this club is so far behind other clubs. 15-20 years ago would you have thought we would be competing with the likes of St Kilda and the Bulldogs on membership numbers? Tigers,Pies & Hawks currently have 80-90k we are light years behind. Even if we start winning games we can’t expect to catch up.
While we are on the topic please provide some commentary on how a club board allows a sponser to come on board and for that business to go into administration less than 18 months later? Where was the due diligence? Can’t imagine a global company like Hyundai loved sharing co sponsorship honours with a dodgy education provider.
So who exactly did they board knock back instead of Acquire Learning.

Google what? You're the one ripping into Judd, show us your overwhelming evidence. Liddle has been in the job a short time but doing well with sponsorship. Acquire Learning went belly up, how much of that should the club have known about?

Directors need to separate themselves from the departments they are directing?
The club doesn't have to list every transaction.

Can you find the receipt where Con the fruiterer got paid for his apple delivery?

Con had resigned from the board last year fin year Cookie so it would be listed in that years annual report.

Since when did directors of Carlton FC actually demonstrate good corporate governance?

What's to say a company that Judd owns isn't paid as a "supplier"?

What's to say he's not paid for "promotion".

Plenty of ways to make it work

Well what your describing is that would be a related entity to Judd and by the rule of law would need to be included as a related party transaction in the CFC report.

I cant really imagine a bloke like Judd would do anything dodgy and risk ruining his reputation - he would have to much to lose.

Are you people serious about attempting to defend Judd if these stories are correct? I’m sorry but the general hero worshipping of him is pathetic- the guy likes to make out that he is an accomplished & successful business person but the reality is very different.
Do some research regarding his business dealings, almost every venture he has been involved with has been either a failure and surrounded with controversial circumstances.
Our club in their great wisdom because of his profile go and offer him a role on our board - a role that comes with the responsibility of mapping both our short and long term future. Go figure.
BTW having a President that struggles to string 2 sentences together is also not good enough either.

100%. It’s tougher in the real world to earn some coin. Reading the Fin Review doesn’t make you an accomplished investor.

Maybe you should use google to research some facts before posting. If you had have done so you would have found that Carlton has never had the highest membership numbers in the league, not even in the glory years.

If you investigated even further you would find that our actual revenue from memberships has been higher than clubs with higher numbers.

Everything you have presented in your post is just alarmist and sensational garbage, if this is all you have then you really don' have much.

but we were perennial finalists and we did have many corporate sponsors
memberships were not as important and we did get massive numbers through the gates
we were not perfect by any stretch but we're not doing things great now too plus no success

So Brock for those of us who haven't been able to find anything what specifically has Judd done wrong?

but we were perennial finalists and we did have many corporate sponsors
memberships were not as important and we did get massive numbers through the gates
we were not perfect by any stretch but we're not doing things great now too plus no success

I reckon we have missed a beat on clubs with the three game memberships - I think we wernt an early adopter on this type.

You should always look at memberships carefully. The tigers have 97K this year so why is the MCG not a sellout everytime they play?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon we have missed a beat on clubs with the three game memberships - I think we wernt an early adopter on this type.
You should always look at memberships carefully. The tigers have 97K this year so why is the MCG not a sellout everytime they play?

The fixation with membership numbers is a recent thing, I recall looking at the figures a few years ago, Richmond's numbers were much higher than ours yet our revenue from memberships sold was higher.

You are correct, they sell more lower level memberships.

Awhile ago I was looking at switching power companies, one which I cannot remember offered a tiger GA membership if I switched from my current provider.

Interesting chat in here too

Maybe you should use google to research some facts before posting. If you had have done so you would have found that Carlton has never had the highest membership numbers in the league, not even in the glory years.

If you investigated even further you would find that our actual revenue from memberships has been higher than clubs with higher numbers.

Everything you have presented in your post is just alarmist and sensational garbage, if this is all you have then you really don' have much.

Interesting this. It suggests that if our club admin have been slow to move with the times, the same can be said for our supporter base.

Your comment is correct. Our members tend to be full members not 3game. That is at odds with other clubs.

We therefore generate greater actual revenue but dont have the member count. I have this on good authority from previous 2 commercial business partners at the club through my own dealings with them.

In relation to his comments on Hyundai. I can tell you for a fact the major sponsors are well briefed on happenings at the club. Good and bad. I leave it at that.

Awhile ago I was looking at switching power companies, one which I cannot remember offered a tiger GA membership if I switched from my current provider.

Interesting chat in here too

Yes that doesn't surprise re the tiger deal.

The blues have this year given away 100 three game memberships to junior players registered to one of the Northern Football League clubs. Good move I think and helps build our relationship with the league we sponsor.

He has clearly gone for the value get rather than give up a first rounder which is why the focus on GWS. For me Marchy, Plowman and Kennedy have shown enough to say they will be good players. Pickett has elite pace and can kick a goal, whilst Lamb has been a surprise - he is really trying to keep playing and has turned himself into a serial pest.

I think its more a case of getting players from other clubs to play at Carlton. At this stage the ones we are likely to get are those looking for more playing opportunities.

Well they have flagged a changed approach for this years trading/drafting season so lets hope they can get good players across.
Absolutely. A changed approach is what is now required. The money ball attempt had a place but we need genuine 100% guaranteed quality now. Not injury prone players that our medicos are attempting to fix.

Shiel etc. is tantalising in that respect

If we accepted mediocrity we wouldn’t have gone into this rebuild.

No clubs are perfect but I feel people that want instant success want someone to blame.

IMO the club is where I thought it would be at this stage

I’ll judge the board, Bolton the club in a year or so. Otherwise we are just guessing

This is the statement I am having real trouble with at the moment.

If you had been told at the start of the year, we would scrape one win out of the next 22 games, and be non-competitive against the sides that sit 13-17 on the ladder, there's not a chance in hell you would have accepted that for par. So why are you accepting it now?

Just absolute denial from some on this board. We are in trouble, and if we don't identify and fix the issues, we are going to end up with this rebuild culminating in a grand total of 2 elimination final wins again. I'm certainly not OK with that

Google what? You're the one ripping into Judd, show us your overwhelming evidence. Liddle has been in the job a short time but doing well with sponsorship. Acquire Learning went belly up, how much of that should the club have known about?
mate memberships were practically given away recently
you can pick up a very basic membership for $50 with a beg on the phone

I know a couple of people who bought one recently
it was the begging that was the deal maker for one of those two guys

they used to but premium membership

If you had been told at the start of the year, we would scrape one win out of the next 22 games, and be non-competitive against the sides that sit 13-17 on the ladder, there's not a chance in hell you would have accepted that for par. So why are you accepting it now?

Just absolute denial from some on this board. We are in trouble, and if we don't identify and fix the issues, we are going to end up with this rebuild culminating in a grand total of 2 elimination final wins again. I'm certainly not OK with that

Nope.

This was always going to be our hardest year as we have turned over 42 players and most are very young. At the moment we have no depth and with the injuries we have had it has exacerbated it. I thought 4 wins would be a solid year. At the moment with what we have put on the park I am surprised we have had one win and not any 100 point thrashings.

The positive for me is I see a lot fo genuine talent coming through. IMO SOS has done an incredible job to this point especially with what he has had to work with. There aren't many trades I reckon we have been on the bad side. People need to remember we had a shocking list. Our previous ten years prior to SOS/Bolts was pathetic. Couldn't be worse. I see us being like GWS in its first year without as many picks or ability to bring in mature players.

We started from SCRATCH. Young talent takes 3-4 years minimum to step up and handle AFL football. When you have 20 plus of them it's hard.

I am excited by our draftees. Cripps Charlie Weiteirng SOS Dow LOB Williamson McKay Fisher will be fantastic players for the club. I have high hopes for the others as well. Kennedy Marchbank Pickett have been good recruits with big futures. This is the core of next successful side.

Is everything perfect? NO but we are doing alot right and over the next 2-3 years it will start to really show through.

People need to look past the negatives at the moment. If you look hard enough you can find them. We are at the start of this and the club and it's supporters need to stick together.

ONE thing I can tell people for sure is the playing group is tight and happy and tough decisions will be made. They just haven't got all the tools yet. Another draft/trade period and a big pre season and 2019 will be a step forward. There is no short term fix and the club knows it. People need to show patience and support it because for all the whingeing it isn't going to change.

I doubt that you will find anyone on this board who is happy with us only winning one game. My expectations were higher but in light of how our year unfolded in terms of injuries resulting in there never being a chance to field a settled team I understand why we are where we are.

You can't build any sort of cohesion in a team under these circumstances. You can't base any judgement on our rebuild upon results this year, nor can you make a big call on the coach's future based upon it.

If there are no signs of improvement by this time next year I'm sure a call will be made.

what kind of improvement?
two games won?

see? we have to get to definitions about what an improvement is
what is expected after a 66 game rebuild?
etc

because the club is giving no clarity with markers

which is why everybody is confused

Now try again!
If at the start of the year i was told we were going to have 10-15 players on the injury list for the most part of the year i absolutely would have said and expected we would be finishing bottom .
Without a doubt .
Nice twisting of the circumstances well done .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back