Hot Topic The Pres, CEO & the Board

Remove this Banner Ad

So, like our CEO, we have another inexperienced professional in a key position at our club. Another player that will be thankful to MLG for giving him his big break in football.
Negative spin.

Lloyd comes with neither the experience of being a Football GM, or IP from a successful high performance environment.

Anybody was an upgrade on Andy McKay, but can anybody actually see this Lloyd being the agent for change that we needed in this position?
The first sentence is point blank wrong; Lloyd was at Fremantle during their flag pitch over 2013-2015. The second is yet to be seen.

My question to you becomes, though, who would you prefer, and how exactly would you measure their success/failure once they're in the position over any amount of time?
The optics on this are terrible. Were all the experienced candidates we went to not available, or unwilling to come to Carlton?
I've said this before, and I'll no doubt say it again: who gives a small percentage of a s**t what other people think?

The optics are terrible? Who cares how it 'looks'?

People who are good at their positions are usually entrenched in their roles, as was Lloyd as far as we know. We are not in possession of enough information to assess this decision as good or bad - unless you are in the industry, and if you know something I don't, please share - ergo we, like everyone else, need to wait and see to assess his appointment.

Last edited:
So, like our CEO, we have another inexperienced professional in a key position at our club. Another player that will be thankful to MLG for giving him his big break in football.

Lloyd comes with neither the experience of being a Football GM, or IP from a successful high performance environment.

Anybody was an upgrade on Andy McKay, but can anybody actually see this Lloyd being the agent for change that we needed in this position?

The optics on this are terrible. Were all the experienced candidates we went to not available, or unwilling to come to Carlton?

Who would you have preferred?

You don’t seem very happy with anything cookie

You do know how media works don’t you?

Rumour most likely emanated from Freo, Lloyd hands in his resignation and advises of new gig and then the media get a scoop and bang it’s out there.

The fact the media had NFI until a couple of hours before official announcement speaks volumes for how tight the club is.

Rumour most likely emanated from Freo, Lloyd hands in his resignation and advises of new gig and then the media get a scoop and bang it’s out there.

The fact the media had NFI until a couple of hours before official announcement speaks volumes for how tight the club is.

This.

All media types had us going for Lethlean as CEO and Gubby Allen as Football Manager.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Media very wrong in all 3 instances and just about everything else over the last few years... #facts

The tightest ineffectual board/admin/footy program in the history of football, and we are plainly awful at the minute. That is some amazing man management skills emanating from the top

Story broke 8 hours ago.

Should we give them credit for telling us something that all media outlets have since reported on?

This!

I doubt you're allowed to announce it before the end of the season, or it's probably on Fremantle to issue a statement first.
Right... so announced to the members tonight via email. Even labelled "members first" which is laughable given we have been discussing it on this forum for hours prior!

CFC media department must be running a good show, just extremely slow to announce this story and give us members something positive to get excited about at the back end of a wretched season.

A clear break down in communication between footy dept and administrative (marketing, sales, membership etc) dept. PR 101 clearly lacking here. Strange given I've been in those offices and they sit side by side separated by a door!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Right... so announced to the members tonight via email. Even labelled "members first" which is laughable given we have been discussing it on this forum for hours prior!

CFC media department must be running a good show, just extremely slow to announce this story and give us members something positive to get excited about at the back end of a wretched season.

A clear break down in communication between footy dept and administrative (marketing, sales, membership etc) dept. PR 101 clearly lacking here. Strange given I've been in those offices and they sit side by side separated by a door!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Story gets broken. Several hours elapse before official confirmation. Shocking stuff by the club :drunk:

You would be unhappy regardless of who got the job.
He would still have us believe that Kate Jenkins stood down from our board because we (which includes Jenkins) appointed Liddle ahead of Lethlean 9 months before hand, even though she was happy to talk about Carlton as "us" & "we" in a very recent interview on Fox Footy.

Are people searching for reasons to hate on the club they purport to support?

Maybe we didn't want to announce it yet because us and Freo have 2 weeks left in our seasons?

It could have got out at the Freo end and we were forced to respond with official confirmation.

No harm done, s**t happens, move on.

Whatya gonna do if he turns out to be the next Balme?
Give it a chance mate...I know you want success ..we all do..but the constant bagging of all things is not good optics.

I just can't get over how a couple of sad sacks look to find the negative in everything the club does. Once again I see the USC at play in some of the posts on here. Our club would be much the better if this group of people just went away permanently.

Wow some pretty strong language from a former board mod.

What has the club done in the last 20 years, which you would point to as saying that should negate any critical analysis of decision making? We are in our current quagmire because of decision making made by an incompetent administration that did not know what they were doing.

We made an error with Andrew McKay in appointing a Green Football GM. We have done the exact same thing here. Time will tell if it's a good decision, but why would you not go for the known quantity?

Jury is largely out on this administration, granted. but the underhanded tactics to try and employ Lethlean without the board's permission, and the resignation of the main antagonist to that appointment since then, would tell me that the same old s**t is going on down at Carlton FC.

The lack of critique on decision making for the last two decades is why we are in this situation. There's no need to shoot down the opposing arguments to suit your narrative

Last edited:
Wow some pretty strong language from a former board mod.

What has the club done in the last 20 years, which you would point to as saying that should negate any critical analysis of decision making? We are in our current quagmire because of decision making made by an incompetent administration that did not know what they were doing.

We made an error with Andrew McKay in appointing a Green Football GM. We have done the exact same thing here. Time will tell if it's a good decision, but why would you not go for the known quantity?

Jury is largely out on this administration, granted. but the underhanded tactics to try and employ Lethlean without the board's permission, and the resignation of the main antagonist to that appoint since then, would tell me that the same old s**t is going on down at Carlton FC.

The lack of critique on decision making for the last two decades is why we are in this situation. There's no need to shoot down the opposing arguments to suit your narrative

This is why so many of your arguments are flawed Cookie, when you constantly go back 20 years.

If you can't move forward, that's your prerogative, but unless you have more substance to these accusations, it is like reading media rhetoric of the now, rather than seeing what we are building

Remove this Banner Ad

Back