Hot Topic The Pres, CEO & the Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah it is, but I think he may be pointing out that it's not just a review of the coach. it's the whole department, I'm hoping that's just badly worded by him which is possible. It will be clarified when they release the terms of reference though, if it doesn't include coaching it's a waste of time.
I think you are right it is badly worded but he was quoted as saying that DT will be coach next year which is a strange thing to say before the review has even started.

I think you are right it is badly worded but he was quoted as saying that DT will be coach next year which is a strange thing to say before the review has even started.

I just don't think he could have said anything else without opening the club and Teague up to even more intense focus on his future at the club. This way he's pushed that until after the review. There will still be speculation but it would have been more intense.

You do know that the introduction of the 'independent nomination committee' was approved by a democratic vote of the members.
That wasn’t one of our clever voting moments then was it!!

Sounds like that committee mechanism protects the board from the members such that they stay in power as long as they like!

Is CFC then a dictatorship? 😳

Teague: At being a forwards coach, nothing to do with the top job.
Russell: Hard to say about him, lot of our players seem to be injured though, whether that is him or drafting/recruiting well known injury prone players.
Bruce: Interesting one, forward line seems to be extremely poor, I'm not sure how this be on us though aside from game-plan of Teague? We've regressed poor old Brucey to having Eddie Betts being the marking target and forwards running into each other?
Amos: 3 seasons as VFL coach.. Positioning is dumb and player communication is terrible, but its hard to say how many of the leaky Carlton defense ship goals is on him due to the terrible midfield.
Power: Too soon to make a judgement, he's fighting up an uphill battle.
Barker: Recall seeing a lot of Hawthon supporters say he was terrible even back then, so hmm.

Bolton - Highly rated assistant, not coach, not everyone can do the top job, arguable whether we gave him enough support/state of the list.
SOS - lol his job at GWS wasn't exactly top shelf and once again player development a key issue, I currently rate him a 6/10, would be 8/10 if Dow, LOB, SPS come good.
Malthouse - Club wanted to rebuild, he disagreed? Fairly simple?

To answer your point though, I would say standards in a way, Mcgov + Williams both turning up fat to their $700,000+ jobs etc etc. Disagree that most of them are our fault though.

I would still say all of them were at the very least well regarded before they came to us and have performed poorly.

But let’s take what you say on face value, that this isn’t the case and that they were poor appointments.

In business, where Boards set at least some of the cultural tone, and instigate many of the governance frameworks in which decisions are made, aren’t there still questions to be asked on how poor appointments (in your words) continue to be made? In other words, shouldn’t governance relations between the Board and the paid executive of the club be examined in this review?

I’m trying to say that in my view (where people have underperformed) and in your view (where poor appointments have been made), the answer is still the same:a review which at least considers the effective functioning of the board itself.

Teague: At being a forwards coach, nothing to do with the top job.
Russell: Hard to say about him, lot of our players seem to be injured though, whether that is him or drafting/recruiting well known injury prone players.
Bruce: Interesting one, forward line seems to be extremely poor, I'm not sure how this be on us though aside from game-plan of Teague? We've regressed poor old Brucey to having Eddie Betts being the marking target and forwards running into each other?
Amos: 3 seasons as VFL coach.. Positioning is dumb and player communication is terrible, but its hard to say how many of the leaky Carlton defense ship goals is on him due to the terrible midfield.
Power: Too soon to make a judgement, he's fighting up an uphill battle.
Barker: Recall seeing a lot of Hawthon supporters say he was terrible even back then, so hmm.

Bolton - Highly rated assistant, not coach, not everyone can do the top job, arguable whether we gave him enough support/state of the list.
SOS - lol his job at GWS wasn't exactly top shelf and once again player development a key issue, I currently rate him a 6/10, would be 8/10 if Dow, LOB, SPS come good.
Malthouse - Club wanted to rebuild, he disagreed? Fairly simple?

To answer your point though, I would say standards in a way, Mcgov + Williams both turning up fat to their $700,000+ jobs etc etc. Disagree that most of them are our fault though.
Most were rated at the time though weren’t they? So bringing in highly rated people alone isn’t enough. Maybe there are other issues?

That wasn’t one of our clever voting moments then was it!!

Sounds like that committee mechanism protects the board from the members such that they stay in power as long as they like!

Is CFC then a dictatorship? 😳

That club mechanism is there to weed out those who do not meet statutory and other requirements that they need to. If you don't do that you have situations like Collingwood had recently where new board members were appointed/elected to the board and subsequently found to be ineligible to sit on the board.

This is what the relevant sections of the constitution say;

Eligibility of person to be a Director

9.1A A person is eligible for election to the office of Director only if:

(a) the person is an Ordinary member of the Club, entitled to vote, and has been for at least 2 years;

(b) the person is not prohibited from acting as a Director under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth();

(c) the person has complied with the nomination procedure set out in clause 9.3(b);

(d) the person satisfies any eligibility requirements for Directors of the Club as determined by the Board from time to time on the recommendation of the Independent Nominations Committee (Director Eligibility Criteria);

(e) if required, the person has received, or is not aware of any circumstances that would cause him or her not to receive, approval to act as a Director of the Club by: (i) Responsible Alcohol Victoria, if required by the provisions of the Liquor Control Reform Act 1998 (Vic) as amended from time to time; or Constitution of Carlton Football Club 17 (ii) the Victorian Commission for Gambling Regulation if required by the Gaming Machine Control Act 1991 (Vic) or the Gambling Regulation Control Act 1991 (Vic) as amended from time to time.

Evaluation of candidates by Independent Nominations Committee 9.3A

(a) Any correctly completed Nomination Form received by the prescribed closing date must be forwarded by the Secretary to the Independent Nominations Committee.

(b) If requested by the Independent Nominations Committee, each candidate must be available to attend an interview with members of the Independent Nominations Committee during business hours, not later than 30 September in the relevant year.

(c) Failure to attend an interview with the Independent Nominations Committee (if required) will render the nomination null and void.

(d) The Independent Nominations Committee will assess each candidate against the Director Eligibility Criteria.

(e) The Independent Nominations Committee will report to the Board on the suitability of each candidate for appointment as a Director and will make a recommendation in relation to each candidate as to whether the Board should endorse the candidate's nomination for election as a Director of the Club.

There is nothing in there that is of any concern as far as I'm concerned, it makes sense to be sure that any prospective candidate is in fact eligible to stand for election, rather than finding out a month after the election that they weren't.

If CFC was a dictatorship you couldn't vote at all.

There was a contested election involving our President last year, which should tell you that there is nothing untoward involved. If the committee was designed to protect existing board Members Hollingworth wouldn't have been deemed to be eligible, right?

Consider also that ASIC has to approve to any changes in a Company's Constitution, there really is nothing of concern here.

So was last night's emergency board meeting so they could sing kumbaya, and talk about just how aligned they were?

I'd imagine that after the events of the past few days after announcing the review the board needs to be brought up to speed with everything and they would be talking about how to proceed, approve the people to be appointed to the panel, talk about the terms of reference etc. It's not difficult to see why they'd meet.

I'd imagine that after the events of the past few days after announcing the review the board needs to be brought up to speed with everything and they would be talking about how to proceed, approve the people to be appointed to the panel, talk about the terms of reference etc. It's not difficult to see why they'd meet.
You have a wonderful imagination

Are you sure that's what he said?

I'm pretty sure his specific words were that Teague was contracted for 2022 - he didn't guarantee he would be head coach.

What MLG is doing is ensuring Teague's job isn't continuously scrutinized while the review takes place making his position untenable because of the media beating the jungle drums. If coaches were excluded from the review, Barker wouldn't be out of a job today. What MLG was doing was deflecting the attention from Teague and putting it on the group as a whole - quite a healthy way to manage what is likely more than just a gameplan issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Impatient idiots like Elliott and Mathieson almost f’ed the club into the ground chasing premierships. I would prefer to see the club build from a solid base. If that solid base is the current financial situation we're in, we are the better for it. But people like you appear to want to set the club back 20 years by getting in another impatient idiot who wants to clean out everyone but him.
It wasn’t just Mathieson though right? Members of the current board were plenty involved in these stupid impatient decisions you’re referring to.

What MLG was doing was deflecting the attention from Teague and putting it on the group as a whole - quite a healthy way to manage what is likely more than just a gameplan issue.
No doubt that is what he is doing, I think he could have chosen his words a little better.

It wasn’t just Mathieson though right? Members of the current board were plenty involved in these stupid impatient decisions you’re referring to.
Yes, at the time the Mathieson supporters on the board outnumbered the Pratt supporters on the board and the deal with Malthouse was done.

Normally i would attack the board and CEO in such situations, but in reality, the membership growth is simply amazing given the lack of success, the financial turnaround and the ability to attract free agents all point to major off-field improvements, so for now I don't think they should be the focus of any anger.

The Board does set the tone for the joint, and it’s a shame the review won’t look at them or the processes they have in place. It’s worthwhile considering the people who are receiving the most scrutiny and where they’ve previously been:

Teague: highly rated at Adelaide
Russell: very highly rated at Hawthorn
Bruce: highly rated at Hawthorn
Amos: highly rated at Geelong
Power: highly rated at the AFL
Barker: people forget he was once rated in the most promising batch of up and coming coaches by the AFL when they developed their coaching development program

you can go back over the past appointments and say the same thing. Bolton highly rated at Hawthorn, Malthouse going to a GF in his last game with Collingwood, Malthouse’s fitness guy Buttifant being considered top of the pops before he came to us, SOS being headhunted for GWS by the AFL. All highly rated in their own way, all fundamentally failing at Carlton.

The reality is that it doesn’t matter who we have appointed over the past twenty years, they have all been lesser people in a professional sense at Carlton than they were at other clubs. And that’s the essential question the club needs to answer. What is it about our culture, practices, and processes that diminishes people when they walk through the door? Until they figure this out and address it, we’ll continue to underwhelm.
Teague was moved on by the Saints, not sure situation with WC but Pike wanted him out of the crows.
Bruce - Clarkson wasn’t to worried when he left.
Amos-never played AFL and no loss to tha Cats
Power - highly rated
Russell - highly rated

Teague was moved on by the Saints, not sure situation with WC but Pike wanted him out of the crows.
Bruce - Clarkson wasn’t to worried when he left.
Amos-never played AFL and no loss to tha Cats
Power - highly rated
Russell - highly rated

Amos never played AFL, Lions better sack Fagan and quick

Amos never played AFL, Lions better sack Fagan and quick
I hate that argument. The only reason we don't have more quality non-playing coaches in the league is due to how incestual the whole thing is. Jobs for the boys. He played and was half decent, must have good footy knowledge and would make a great coach.
The league has potentially missed out on some of the greatest ever coaches because of this mentality.

I voted... I know that a few of our fellow posters voted as well. I think that Aphrodite even posted a link for members who might not have gotten the email with the reminder to vote message on it.

I sure did.

Has it's own dedicated thread.

I voted!

I can't remember getting a voting card to have a say on that, do you?

No. And not did any voting member. Because our constitution has been rewritten to stop that from happening...

Yes they did!

I hate that argument. The only reason we don't have more quality non-playing coaches in the league is due to how incestual the whole thing is. Jobs for the boys. He played and was half decent, must have good footy knowledge and would make a great coach.
The league has potentially missed out on some of the greatest ever coaches because of this mentality.
Exactly right.

Thats a new one to me...
News to me as well... As far as I can see from his career record, he was poached from us by West Coast, Left West Coast to return to Victoria, got a job with the Saints... was there for one year when he was poached by Adelaide, After 3 years there, left to become an assistant at Carlton. Well liked and respected for his ability.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back