Remove this Banner Ad

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
I think you are actively seeking negatives to prove your opinion. Saying it multiple times does not make an opinion fact.
I feel that I'm being typecast here as a continuously cynical supporter when its far from the truth.

The speculation is:
- MLG went rogue and attempted to poach Wright from the Hawks without proper process
- MLG fired Trigg
- MLG offered the CEO role to Lethlean without following proper process

The facts are:
- Trigg claims he resigned (and I understand that the location issue meant that in the long run he was not the right candidate)
- MLG will not directly answer the question regarding offering the role to Lethlean
- MLG as president initiated a change in the club constitution regarding the process around the appointment of directors / board members
- The recent board appointments were not subject to a member vote
- The recent board vacancies were not publicized until after new appointments had been decided (again without member vote or approval)
- David Campbell has been the clubs exclusive recruiter for high level roles since MLG joined the club
- David Campbell has since been appointed to the board without member vote

Nov 9, 2007
The honorable loss factory
AFL Club
Carlton
I would agree, except for the fact that at least one of the board members who opposed it are no longer on the board and has been replaced by a close associate.

Kate Jenkins wears a lot of hats. It may be as you say or it may be she was happy to go because of her other commitments.

or somewhere in the grey middle.

teagueyubeauty

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Somewhere there
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, Yankees
For mine the problem is the media haven't been fed bullshit.

They got the inside scoop on Lethlean and reported it, then it board ruled against log's captains call. LOG will not answer the question, which makes him look both guilty as sin of going outside his bounds, and incompetent in answering to the media.

For the record, I don't know enough about Brad Lloyd to comment on this appointment, but have to agree with Cookie that what were seeing in the backroom feels like days of old carlton.

I’ve never seen a process in the history of following Carlton prior to 3 years ago.

Sorry, but your talking crap. All appointments have followed stringent, deep and extensive processes that have pulled out candidates that the media are surprised by...sooner or later they’ll realise, along with yourself and some others, that the club is run very differently to how it’s been run before.

MLG says adnauseum he strongly encouraged Lethlean to apply for the role. What evidence do you have that debunks that?

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
How does the Liddle vs Lethlean thing not fit my narrative? Campbell wasn't on the board that knocked back Lethlean. We don't know his involvement in the Lethlean discussion. What we can clearly determine - due process was not followed by our president - which contradicts your subsequent statement.

The closeness of Campbell to MLG is clear - he is the only recruiter the club has used for every high level appointment since MLG came to the club. I think that association has the potential to reduce the amount of due diligence in our appointments. The fact that these board changes were done without member vote and without warning, AFTER our president had egg on his face about not following due process is a crazy warning sign. I'm surprised others can't see it.

I sincerely hope I'm mistaken. I would get no joy in the future saying "I told you so", as I would mean another period of failure.

“After a thorough and extensive process conducted by David Campbell of Egon Zehnder and led by the selection panel consisting of myself, and Club Directors Kate Jenkins and Chris Judd, we are fortunate to have secured Cain as the Club’s next CEO.”

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2017-11-08/carlton-appoints-new-ceo

Assuming that MLG did go after Lethlean without board approval, they called him on it, and ensured that the proper process was followed, Campbell was the one that set up the process (as he did for Bolton's appointment and Lloyd's). And this would be a case of good governance actually working, not failing.

You're allowed to have your view on MLG, but just because you don't like him doesn't mean that everything he does, or anyone he is associated with, is therefore automatically tainted.

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
MLG says adnauseum he strongly encouraged Lethlean to apply for the role. What evidence do you have that debunks that?
I am unable to have evidence to "debunk" his claim. What I do have is the podcast posted earlier (which I'll repost below). If he gave a straight "no" answer to the question, I'd be giving him the benefit of the doubt, as I had been for several years prior.

Podcast is here:
http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news-and-media/podcasts-and-audio
Mark LoGuidice on SEN | July 18
Skip to the 10 minute mark.

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Assuming that MLG did go after Lethlean without board approval, they called him on it, and ensured that the proper process was followed, Campbell was the one that set up the process (as he did for Bolton's appointment and Lloyd's). And this would be a case of good governance actually working, not failing.

You're allowed to have your view on MLG, but just because you don't like him doesn't mean that everything he does, or anyone he is associated with, is therefore automatically tainted.
I don't personally have an opinion on MLG - be it "like" or "dislike" - it's not about that for me. It's about ensuring we have a collective that challenges opinions and appointments on our board. Its about the Carlton we have now come to expect.

The old board was doing it, and that resulted in a strong outcome - and strong governance to block the president trying to make a "captains call". I can only hope the new appointees are as willing to challenge our president should he try to do it again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

teagueyubeauty

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Somewhere there
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, Yankees
I understand the reasons and again, to be clear, not questioning that specific decision, but instead highlighting that the optics or public comments don't always mirror the reality of the situation.

We can talk Occam's razor and anti-conspiracy, which I genuinely side with. MLG unfortunately has too many red flags for me to just swallow the line from the club where he is involved. "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...well you can't get fooled again."

I wish Brad Lloyd all the success in the world. Hoping for a strong review of coaching, fitness and medical staff this offseason.

I think your problem is the “optics” you are truly looking at come directly from media based on rumours and innuendo that have no basis for any factual information at all.

The only optics you should be looking at is the outcomes of the processes the club has gone through to fill important areas for the clubs future.

Aka known knowns or facts!!

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
So give me the facts of why they’re not there anymore please? #facts
I am unable to give you the complete reasons as to why they are no longer on the board - as you would well know.

But as I also suggested, the message to the public in terms of resignations are not always true - as was the case when our club sacked Trigg. The report "facts" of the Trigg "resignation" did not mirror the reality of the situation.

teagueyubeauty

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Somewhere there
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, Yankees
I am unable to have evidence to "debunk" his claim. What I do have is the podcast posted earlier (which I'll repost below). If he gave a straight "no" answer to the question, I'd be giving him the benefit of the doubt, as I had been for several years prior.

Podcast is here:
http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news-and-media/podcasts-and-audio
Mark LoGuidice on SEN | July 18
Skip to the 10 minute mark.

He has said multiple times he strongly encouraged him to apply for the role...the rest is just pure unadulterated bullshit

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I think your problem is the “optics” you are truly looking at come directly from media based on rumours and innuendo that have no basis for any factual information at all.

The only optics you should be looking at is the outcomes of the processes the club has gone through to fill important areas for the clubs future.

Aka known knowns or facts!!
Don't misconstrue my hypothesis.

MLG was asked a question 4 times which he could have easily answered directly "no" unless there was some truth to the matter. He was given multiple opportunities to give a clear answer and would not. He tried to duck the question saying "if I answer you on one candidate you will start asking about all candidates" - when told he would not be asked about any other candidates, he STILL refused to answer. Thats a fact. Its a horrendous look, and I'm embarrassed for the club.

Don't misconstrue my hypothesis.

MLG was asked a question 4 times which he could have easily answered directly "no" unless there was some truth to the matter. He was given multiple opportunities to give a clear answer and would not. He tried to duck the question saying "if I answer you on one candidate you will start asking about all candidates" - when told he would not be asked about any other candidates, he STILL refused to answer. Thats a fact. Its a horrendous look, and I'm embarrassed for the club.

Slashin' MLG ****ed up. We all know that and it wasn't the first time, either. We know that too.

It was painful to listen to and hear our President trying to squirm out of a situation he a. Never had to do what he did. b. Then put himself up for the scrutiny of the media. He didn't have to do it but he did. He's been a naughty boy, put his hand in the cookie jar and has been slapped for doing so.

Has he learned? Will he learn? MLG is the President of the board. He's not the board.
Whichever way it has come about, the recent appointments have been sound and if we do start heading in the right direction again, the naughty boy can have the cookie jar and all the cookies in the world. Good outcome. :)

blue89

Draftee
Jul 14, 2017
I feel that I'm being typecast here as a continuously cynical supporter when its far from the truth.

The speculation is:
- MLG went rogue and attempted to poach Wright from the Hawks without proper process
- MLG fired Trigg
- MLG offered the CEO role to Lethlean without following proper process

The facts are:
- Trigg claims he resigned (and I understand that the location issue meant that in the long run he was not the right candidate)
- MLG will not directly answer the question regarding offering the role to Lethlean
- MLG as president initiated a change in the club constitution regarding the process around the appointment of directors / board members
- The recent board appointments were not subject to a member vote
- The recent board vacancies were not publicized until after new appointments had been decided (again without member vote or approval)
- David Campbell has been the clubs exclusive recruiter for high level roles since MLG joined the club
- David Campbell has since been appointed to the board without member vote

MLG joined the club in 2010. Since then a number of people filling high level roles have come into the club. Are you suggesting that David Campbell was used as part of the recruitment of Mckay, Malthouse, Trigg. If so then I would have concerns about David's appointment as these (in hindsight) were poor appointments.

Correct, David was the only recruiter that the club has used. Please tell me what company opts to use different recruiters for every position that the club has opened? While I am not familiar with the constitution changes, the fact the the club (lead by MLG) has chosen to engage in a recruiter in the first place is a step in the right direction. The fact that the recruiter is now on the board, in my opinion has two benefits. Firstly, he now has some skin in the game in regards to his appointments, if they are poor appointments, it directly impacts an organisation he is overseeing. Secondly, he seems to be working with senior staff from a number of different companies. These are all potential contacts that can be leveraged by the club to form a number of partnerships.

Personally, I don't care how many mates are on the board, as long as they are functioning correctly for the benefit of the club. In all organisations, there is a mates club, and often they poach other mates from different organisations. You will find that it is often a case that it is because they have previously demonstrated that they can get results for the person so there is less of an unknown. They key is not to have a board with some diversity and difference of opinion which could be lacking somewhat on our board. Ideally i would like to see one more woman on there. I think we should look at what the board have done in the last couple of years and judge them on that, and that alone as anything else is speculation.

To this point, this is how I see us.

Re-Build - Established a plan and have not wavered regardless of results, media, fans and personnel. TICK
Recruiting - Established that the previous recruiting was not up to standard, brought in someone that has a proven record of building a strong list. TCIK (if the club can't start to land quality mature talent, then this rating changes)
Coach - Brought in a respected coach that has the skill set to develop a young team and an ability to coach long term. TICK/Neutral (first two years a tick, injuries have left this year as a neutral. If there is no significant improvement next year, that is when we raise questions)
Football Manager - Replaced a stale manager with a respected operator that has worked in multiple footy roles which will enable him to understand the requirements of each and appoint people & lead accordingly. TICK
Finances - Have been trending in the right direction, seems to have had a significant amount of sponsors come on board. Additionally, starting the Carlton in business program has seen a number of smaller businesses jump on board and contribute cash. Melbourne Victory do this as well and make a bucket out of this. TICK
VFLW - Team established as part of the first round, and the club has been commended on the facilities that the girls get (have been called out as the best in australia for any female sports team https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/the-sleeping-giant-has-woken)
CEO - Appointed someone with a track record of improving a clubs finances and growing membership. In less than 12 months has set a record membership despite the worst season in the clubs history. TICK
Marriage equality - We really messed this up. CROSS

Feel free to add any other hits or misses, but if your only gripe is i don't like who and how he hires, it seems as though the club is tracking in the right direction.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
I am unable to give you the complete reasons as to why they are no longer on the board - as you would well know.

But as I also suggested, the message to the public in terms of resignations are not always true - as was the case when our club sacked Trigg. The report "facts" of the Trigg "resignation" did not mirror the reality of the situation.

There are big differences here though.

Many employees will "resign" rather than be fired, when they are forced out. I don't think many would argue that Trigg leaving was the Club's decision, rather than his. In these cases though, it rarely remains secret. People will know the real story, or at least the other side of the story, and it will leak (see Caro).

This isn't the case with Fried and Jenkins leaving the board, though. There hasn't even been a suggestion in the media that they were forced out, and it wouldn't really be a face-saving exercise for them to say it was their choice if it wasn't.

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
MLG joined the club in 2010. Since then a number of people filling high level roles have come into the club. Are you suggesting that David Campbell was used as part of the recruitment of Mckay, Malthouse, Trigg. If so then I would have concerns about David's appointment as these (in hindsight) were poor appointments.

Correct, David was the only recruiter that the club has used. Please tell me what company opts to use different recruiters for every position that the club has opened?
Only addressing this bit because I largely agree with the rest of your post.

The comment regarding Campbell should have said "Since MLG was president" not since he's been at the club as we did not publicize the process or recruiters used prior to this point, as I understand it.

I'm not expecting the club to use different recruiters - in my experience, they'd have "exclusive" deals to get a better rate card. I am suggesting the association being tied to MLG's rise to presidency suggests a close association there, which I'm less comfortable with, but I've hashed that out enough in previous posts. Agree having a recruiter on the board can have its benefits - both networking and "skin in the game".

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
There are big differences here though.

Many employees will "resign" rather than be fired, when they are forced out. I don't think many would argue that Trigg leaving was the Club's decision, rather than his. In these cases though, it rarely remains secret. People will know the real story, or at least the other side of the story, and it will leak (see Caro).

This isn't the case with Fried and Jenkins leaving the board, though. There hasn't even been a suggestion in the media that they were forced out, and it wouldn't really be a face-saving exercise for them to say it was their choice if it wasn't.
Yep - fair points. Speculation about being pushed has not been as loud on Jenkins as it was on Trigg. Still some murmurs around the traps - but hard to judge if there's any weight in them.

I'm still disappointed the resignations/retirements weren't made public and nominations requested from the public. Further, I'm disappointed the new board appointments weren't put to a member vote.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back