Hot Topic The Pres, CEO & the Board

Michael Jezz

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2007
collingwood
AFL Club
Carlton
The question for Cain Liddle is whether he is qualified as a football department CEO as well as a commercial CEO. If, as I doubt, he is football qualified, then he should put his view forth but make football decisions in the rarest of circumstance and defer to the department heads

Michael Jezz

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2007
collingwood
AFL Club
Carlton
Yesterday was a tipping point moment for me. The chairing of Gibbs after the dismissal of SoS will never sit well with me I really appreciate what this board has done, with list build and commercials but it is time to pass the batton to some new blood with greater football focus. If there is a new group who stands, I will vote for them.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Yesterday was a tipping point moment for me. The chairing of Gibbs after the dismissal of SoS will never sit well with me I really appreciate what this board has done, with list build and commercials but it is time to pass the batton to some new blood with greater football focus. If there is a new group who stands, I will vote for them.

This is quite strange, the SOS situation aside, as I can see why people get upset and how it wasn’t a good look or time for us but what does Gibbs being chaired off, have anything to do with any of the board?
Surely that’s on the players and the coaches if there is an issue, I’m not sure how your disapproval at one, is tied to something that now happened nearly 12 months ago.

It clearly demonstrated that the players minds were elsewhere and evidenced by the way they played. It also appeared that Gibbs was appreciated more by his ex team mates than his current ones. Without doubt one of the most bizarre things I have seen in a very long time.

Why do their actions after the game demonstrate their mindset going into the game or during the game? That's not demonstrated at all, clearly or hazy. It's a + b = 3 surmising. I saw Simmo's same courage and desperation show. After 341 games, I'm going to trust him that he cared more about his mate's send off, than the prospect of playing finals after 7 years in probably his last season.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Any good club worth it's salt would be coming out to make a public statement that a performance like yesterday's is not accepted, and put the entire football department on notice.

Do we think Juddchella backyard event organiser turned Football Director Chris Judd will be doing this? No chance

Do we think that the bloke whose father made all his money turned Club President will do this? An even lesser chance

What about Cain Liddle? Surely his precious membership number targets are now in jeopardy, and would be drawn into comment?

This year is now an abject failure. 7 wins; it's not even an improvement on last year. We've just lost to the worst Adelaide team of all time, in an absolute listless performance. The above figures are the ones we look towards to really make a statement on this, and all are missing in action. The Fish is rotting at the head. We will not be improving as a club until the above figureheads start demanding performance. Either their attitudes need to change, or they need to go. The club is in a rut and they are central to the issue.

You have banged on about what a professional Liddle is/has been and now when it does align with you script you want to pot him? Which one is it, the professional we needed, or not up to it?

Once again you seek reassurance from the club by wanting them to come out to denounce the performance and or a season, purely based on your expectations of what we should have achieved

While we have been frustratingly inconsistent, the club isn't in a rut, we have improved on last year in many key areas

Keep banging drum though

It clearly demonstrated that the players minds were elsewhere and evidenced by the way they played. It also appeared that Gibbs was appreciated more by his ex team mates than his current ones. Without doubt one of the most bizarre things I have seen in a very long time.

As for having other problems to worry about? Yes, we do. Clearly there is something seriously wrong within the inner sanctum when players are more concerned about fare welling a former player than playing to win to try and get a finals spot. What will they do next week, line up and cheer Robinson onto the field? If Judd and the Board shrug their shoulders and let this pass to the keeper, then they are sending the wrong message to everyone.

Look at the way they treated Jake lever when he wanted out ....

jpfalvo

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
I agree.

We are a nice football club, not ruthless.
The culture is questionable and we are mentally weak.

Ruthless footy clubs dont put up with this. They demand standards, performance and discipline. Captain Cripps missing from 30 out directly infront, then celebrating like usain bolt 2minutes later, seriously what example are you setting

There is a serious leadership problem onfield and has been for a very long time. The personality of the group is introverted. It has been since fevola was turfed out.

Leadership from the top off field has been just as weak. The president has been invisible. No accountability for the Bolton backing then sacking. Mind you he sat in the same boads that rolled ratts and mick. Wheres the accountability for repeated poor decision making.

What about the sos-teague-liddle fracture last year, where was the president as peacemakerand creating harmony.

Good clubs and organisations are accountable. Fess up to their mistakes.
Good clubs that are successful are harmonious on and off field. We are far from that.

Recent rumours suggests fracture again between liddle and teague. Clearly the players chairing gibbs unsanctioned, shows a lack of discipline and transparency between senior players and teague and the club.

Spin it anyway you want all is not well behind the scenes. That wont help us attract talent.

Juddchella is the football director. Explain to me, what exactly is his role? Judds words not mine were that it wasnt his responsibility to oversee the football department. Ok, so as football director what exactly is it that you do?

Clearly i am naive to think that he would be the director responsible for all things football.....!

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

jpfalvo

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Further to this.

Unlike collingwood and richmond that changed their fortunes by having public review of their club. Providing the members with transparency and actions.

In 2018 we apparently hadna review, yet when asked to release the findings, where are they. No transparency whatsover. What are we scared of? 105 games into the 66game rebuild... wheres the accountability for that?

If its good enough for richmond and collingwood, put their findings on the table, make meaningful change, what about carlton? Or are we too arrogant for that, too concerned with self protection than dramatic improvement

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"

Relevance to this thread! :think:

Moody Blue

Premiership Player
May 21, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Talk of Liddle involving himself in list management discussions again is a concern. Be across those conversations, sure, but if Cain wanted to work in that part of the industry he should’ve applied for that job.
Quite apparent why he got rid of SOS. Now he can impose his will as he sees fit. The Liddle FC. if I was Liddle I would be more concerned about why our players after losing a match and ending their finals hopes, were so excited to cheer off an opposition player. I could imagine what Neil Balme would say if that had been done at Richmond..

Moody Blue

Premiership Player
May 21, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Further to this.

Unlike collingwood and richmond that changed their fortunes by having public review of their club. Providing the members with transparency and actions.

In 2018 we apparently hadna review, yet when asked to release the findings, where are they. No transparency whatsover. What are we scared of? 105 games into the 66game rebuild... wheres the accountability for that?

If its good enough for richmond and collingwood, put their findings on the table, make meaningful change, what about carlton? Or are we too arrogant for that, too concerned with self protection than dramatic improvement

The club is still a plaything for the rich and famous. They do not bother to inform the unwashed of what they are doing. Just pay your membership and shut up. They know what is right...

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
This has a vibe about it

images.jpeg

In the words of Charlie Brown.....Good grief! What a load of tripe posted in here the past few days. I understand that everyone is doing it tough at the moment but so much nonsense....

Moody Blue

Premiership Player
May 21, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
In the words of Charlie Brown.....Good grief! What a load of tripe posted in here the past few days. I understand that everyone is doing it tough at the moment but so much nonsense....
Well the current plan is working so well. Ratten is coaching St.Kilda to their first final in 9 years, and we are treading water at best.

Well the current plan is working so well. Ratten is coaching St.Kilda to their first final in 9 years, and we are treading water at best.

What relevance does that have to us? Someone is coaching a team that started a rebuild 3 years before us in a final. Who that person coaching them is irrelevant to me. We aren't treading water at all and I hope you aren't pining for Ratten as coach. I remember his last stint and I remember 'supporters' absolutely going crazy and wanting him gone. Last year everyone was on the Teague Train, now people are wanting to jump off before it gets to the first station.

In a difficult year there were plenty of positives this year, the biggest being in the first time in a long, long time we did not get belted once. Tell me again that we're treading water.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Has there been any follow up to the article in the NGA thread, where it says we have handed back control of our zone to the AFL? Seems strange to have not got a mention, is it a cost cutting exercise?

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
We got a dud zone right?

As someone who has a house in the zone and lived there a bit, I disagree. It is a very multi cultural zone, with a massive increase in housing density the past 5 years. meaning population is growing and younger families are moving in.

The zone is heavily populated, just not sure why it hasn’t come to anything yet.

Not my point though. Why hasn’t it been brought up, handing it back? Is it temporary?

cookie monster

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
NY Giants
Wonder how long it will be, before we start asking; Why didn't we appoint Simon Lethlean?
It will happen.

Interesting story around why he was all but given the job and had it pulled from under him.
Would like to see the full story come out at some point in time.
Kate Jenkins leaving the board in very close proximity to the attempted Lethlean recruitment should give you a fair idea of what happened

Kate Jenkins leaving the board in very close proximity to the attempted Lethlean recruitment should give you a fair idea of what happened

I've heard what may have happened, but just thought to get in here early on a topic that may be raised soon enough.
I've been listening to Lethlean and at a distance.....he just sounds like someone who knows how to get things done.
Strange character but that's not the point. Anyway....

Doro

Collective Narcissism Support Group
Sep 22, 2011
62 West Wallaby St.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wensleydale Wanderers
I've heard what may have happened, but just thought to get in here early on a topic that may be raised soon enough.
I've been listening to Lethlean and at a distance.....he just sounds like someone who knows how to get things done.
Strange character but that's not the point. Anyway....
I think the whole industry knew he was a shrewd operator. One club was always going to ignore his personal issues and hire him. We didn't.

Moody Blue

Premiership Player
May 21, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
What relevance does that have to us? Someone is coaching a team that started a rebuild 3 years before us in a final. Who that person coaching them is irrelevant to me. We aren't treading water at all and I hope you aren't pining for Ratten as coach. I remember his last stint and I remember 'supporters' absolutely going crazy and wanting him gone. Last year everyone was on the Teague Train, now people are wanting to jump off before it gets to the first station.

In a difficult year there were plenty of positives this year, the biggest being in the first time in a long, long time we did not get belted once. Tell me again that we're treading water.
2020 is the equivalent of a Lightning Premiership season. 17 matches playing 16 min quarters, 4 on the bench and we still concede 5 goal starts or blow big leads. When Ratten was coaching, it was the quality of the list that some questioned, (including yours truly) and how good that list was. Many believed it was a list that would win us a flag, when in reality it was an ordinary list as consequently proven. Ratten's coaching experience prior to joining Carlton was having coached Norwood in the EFL and one year as an assistant at Melbourne. He did an admirable job, but was out of his depth. Ratten (MarkII), had a strong apprenticeship at Hawthorn and learned a lot from Clarkson and sadly from personal tragedy. With hindsight, they should have thrown everything at getting him back, but that is spilt milk under the bridge...

We went for MM. His own club did not want him and openly stated that he was physically and mentally struggling and he should retire. Instead of heeding this warning we hired him on a 3 year contract worth millions. MM's motives were to secure a long term contract. The players never took to his game plan which years out of date and predictable. Instead of learning from the mistake of hiring Ratten, we then hired another untested coach. Yes he had credentials as a good assistant, and knowledgeable coach was probably worth the risk. It ended in tears...again. So what do we do after this? We appoint yet another untried coach on a 2.5 year contract! Oh the players liked him, and he is a nice guy.

Circa 2020 where are we? Missed finals again in a shortened season. We were quite fortunate with injuries compared to the other clubs, and you believe we are finals bound? Perhaps, but we are treading water. We just lost 500+ games of experience, serious question about the professionalism and hunger of the group. In effect we are nice guys, like our coach!

We are treading water!!!!

*Richmond: Lost
*Collingwood: Lost
Hawthorn: Lost
Adelaide: Lost
Melbourne: Lost
*Port Adelaide: Lost
*Brisbane: Lost
GWS: Lost
*West Coast: Lost
*St.Kilda: Lost
*denotes playing finals in 2020.
We beat two 2020 finalist.
Geelong at Geelong which was an impressive result, although we were lucky to hang on in the end.
We beat Footscray whom we have had the wood over for the past 3 years.
Essendon by a point!

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
2020 is the equivalent of a Lightning Premiership season. 17 matches playing 16 min quarters, 4 on the bench and we still concede 5 goal starts or blow big leads. When Ratten was coaching, it was the quality of the list that some questioned, (including yours truly) and how good that list was. Many believed it was a list that would win us a flag, when in reality it was an ordinary list as consequently proven. Ratten's coaching experience prior to joining Carlton was having coached Norwood in the EFL and one year as an assistant at Melbourne. He did an admirable job, but was out of his depth. Ratten (MarkII), had a strong apprenticeship at Hawthorn and learned a lot from Clarkson and sadly from personal tragedy. With hindsight, they should have thrown everything at getting him back, but that is spilt milk under the bridge...

We went for MM. His own club did not want him and openly stated that he was physically and mentally struggling and he should retire. Instead of heeding this warning we hired him on a 3 year contract worth millions. MM's motives were to secure a long term contract. The players never took to his game plan which years out of date and predictable. Instead of learning from the mistake of hiring Ratten, we then hired another untested coach. Yes he had credentials as a good assistant, and knowledgeable coach was probably worth the risk. It ended in tears...again. So what do we do after this? We appoint yet another untried coach on a 2.5 year contract! Oh the players liked him, and he is a nice guy.

Circa 2020 where are we? Missed finals again in a shortened season. We were quite fortunate with injuries compared to the other clubs, and you believe we are finals bound? Perhaps, but we are treading water. We just lost 500+ games of experience, serious question about the professionalism and hunger of the group. In effect we are nice guys, like our coach!

We are treading water!!!!

*Richmond: Lost
*Collingwood: Lost
Hawthorn: Lost
Adelaide: Lost
Melbourne: Lost
*Port Adelaide: Lost
*Brisbane: Lost
GWS: Lost
*West Coast: Lost
*St.Kilda: Lost
*denotes playing finals in 2020.
We beat two 2020 finalist.
Geelong at Geelong which was an impressive result, although we were lucky to hang on in the end.
We beat Footscray whom we have had the wood over for the past 3 years.
Essendon by a point!
MM taking the job at Carlton reminds me of when Larry David set up Latte Larry's as a spite store next to Mocha Joes in the last season of Curb your Enthusiasm

Back