News The Presser at Midday

Remove this Banner Ad

You still are not answering the question.

At the end of 2016 if people compared Cotchin, Riewoldt, Martin and Rance to [insert premiership spine] people would have laughed.

For all of his flaws, Brads Scotts was right about one thing: the competition is more even than it has been in a long time.

A lot can change over one off-season. Get rid of a Vickery, get rid of a Deledio, get in a Nankervis or a Caddy, watch what can happen.

In our case, get rid of a Scotts, get in a new guy, who knows what could happen?

I disagree with this - they had far more runs on the board as individual players at that point. Everyone in the competition knew that dusty was about to explode.

The comparison between us and Richmond 2016 isn’t a good one - happy to revisit this in a years time, because logic (my perspective) and hope (yours), is difficult to align.

Seriously?

Tarrant and Rance are at least neck and neck.

Brown is 3rd in the Coleman and covers 10+kms per game, where is Jack right now?

Cotchin lol. I'd take Higgins any day. Higgins is classier and is beating Cotchin in key stats.
View attachment 681017
Cunners and Martin are also neck and neck with Cunners having an edge in contested ball.

Not saying we have a list capable, but we could be a wildcard.

Please take this opinion out of a bias north forum and gauge the reaction.

Similar has just been reported
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ooty-s-worst-kept-secret-20190526-p51r8r.html

I reckon the 4 off limits would be:
Goldy, we just don't have a ruckman who is anywhere near his level to replace him. Which makes letting Preuss go even dumber.
Cunners, our best mid, and extractor, again there is no one else near his level.
Brown, you don't just let your best forward go, who is on track for 60+ goals 3 years running
Tarrant, this bloke is holding our defense together, and will be even more important if this is Thompsons last year as expected.

Everyone else (except probably the kids we drafted last year) is on the table.

What do you think this will mean for performances for the remaining games Rodney?

Self preservation by 100% effort or the reverse?

Interesting times

Kingy spilt blood on the field for us. The only blood Brad spilt for us was from a paper cut.
Kingy, like Scott, did the job he was paid to do as well as he could. And when his time was up, left with a great deal less grace.

I didn't agree with a lot Scott did and I'm glad this decision has been made now, but I don't doubt he worked for what he saw was the best for the club. Also he helped make the NMFC hard to relocate and King wanted us to lay down and become the Gold Coast Kangaroos, if we are comparing contributions.

I've been part of a lot of organisation announcements over the years, about changes that impacted a lot of people more than this. And this one has, despite some hiccups, been well handled. If anyone in the media spends more than a day poking around its only because they regret not getting their usual weeks/months of stories out of a coach removal. They'll move on fast in any case if North and Scott continue playing it professionally, which is in their interests so should happen. "Man not immediately 100% delighted to end well paid job he loves 18 months early" isn't a super interesting take, even for North supporters.

Kingy, like Scott, did the job he was paid to do as well as he could. And when his time was up, left with a great deal less grace.

I didn't agree with a lot Scott did and I'm glad this decision has been made now, but I don't doubt he worked for what he saw was the best for the club. Also he helped make the NMFC hard to relocate and King wanted us to lay down and become the Gold Coast Kangaroos, if we are comparing contributions.

I've been part of a lot of organisation announcements over the years, about changes that impacted a lot of people more than this. And this one has, despite some hiccups, been well handled. If anyone in the media spends more than a day poking around its only because they regret not getting their usual weeks/months of stories out of a coach removal. They'll move on fast in any case if North and Scott continue playing it professionally, which is in their interests so should happen. "Man not immediately 100% delighted to end well paid job he loves 18 months early" isn't a super interesting take, even for North supporters.

H2H, you have no concerns moving forward about how the decision was made by the Board “Friday morning “ and was appearing on the HUN website by 5-6pm Friday night?

H2H, you have no concerns moving forward about how the decision was made by the Board “Friday morning “ and was appearing on the HUN website by 5-6pm Friday night?
I don't. I would assume the decisions were being discussed from early or at the latest mid week, and would be more concerned if anything if it was all settled as quickly as they seemed to be suggesting. It's a big decision at the top of the organisation with a lot of money and reputation at stake. I think it's all a bit of trying to safe face with anyone aggrieved at not being told immediately, especially players, to say "even we didn't know for sure".

On it breaking early, I can't see whose interests were being served by a deliberate leak, so I'd be thinking someone tangentially connected wanted to get the media attention. If Heath Shaw knew in advance then a lot of people probably did, and kept it to themselves. It's hard to keep everyone quiet, and footy has more slavering media than most other industries.

What do you think this will mean for performances for the remaining games Rodney?

Interesting times
Players should be playing their guys out. Either to stay on our list, or raise their value for a move elsewhere.

Saturday showed they have it in them.

I don't. I would assume the decisions were being discussed from early or at the latest mid week, and would be more concerned if anything if it was all settled as quickly as they seemed to be suggesting. It's a big decision at the top of the organisation with a lot of money and reputation at stake. I think it's all a bit of trying to safe face with anyone aggrieved at not being told immediately, especially players, to say "even we didn't know for sure".

On it breaking early, I can't see whose interests were being served by a deliberate leak, so I'd be thinking someone tangentially connected wanted to get the media attention. If Heath Shaw knew in advance then a lot of people probably did, and kept it to themselves. It's hard to keep everyone quiet, and footy has more slavering media than most other industries.

It was just like Game of Thrones. As Varas said when 6 people know something it is no longer a secret, it is information.

Interesting times

I think Higgo is the one we have that has genuine currency. No point flogging him all season to risk injury. Perhaps look to put him in cotton wool at about round 16. He is worth a low first round pick to the right team at a minimum.

I think Higgo is the one we have that has genuine currency. No point flogging him all season to risk injury. Perhaps look to put him in cotton wool at about round 16. He is worth a low first round pick to the right team at a minimum.
Of course! He would love to sit on the sidelines when fit for 6 rounds waiting to be traded when he is contracted for a couple years.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Of course! He would love to sit on the sidelines when fit for 6 rounds waiting to be traded when he is contracted for a couple years.

At the end of the day, he is an employee of the club and paid very good money to be so. If it is decided that the best outcome for the club would be for him not to play and risk injury in the last 6 weeks then that is what happens. He has maybe 2 good years left after this one so he may be very open to a move to a club that is genuinely contending for a flag. He gets a chance at a premiership, North gets pick 15 or 16, and another club gets a class player that could be the final piece of their flag puzzle. Win, win, win.

At the end of the day, he is an employee of the club and paid very good money to be so. If it is decided that the best outcome for the club would be for him not to play and risk injury in the last 6 weeks then that is what happens. He has maybe 2 good years left after this one so he may be very open to a move to a club that is genuinely contending for a flag. He gets a chance at a premiership, North gets pick 15 or 16, and another club gets a class player that could be the final piece of their flag puzzle. Win, win, win.
Higgins is more likely to get a sex change and captain the women's side then any of that happening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one is going anywhere.

We have 4-5 elite level core position players which is about as many as Richmond had when they won a premiership.

We also have a good set of complimentary players.

It's all about getting the system right and waiting another 6-12 months for the development of a few of the kids to reach fruition, and then getting a good run with injury.

We're a lot closer than many of you think.

Please take this opinion out of a bias north forum and gauge the reaction.

I think the talk of "A-graders" isn't the be all and end all. Flags are won by sides who get the most out of their 12-22 more than their top 3-4 players, as every club has at least a handful of guns. Which means it comes down to coaching and systems above anything else.

I can’t believe how fake that presser was. Even more puzzling was the fact that nobody from the media asked why, if we need such a thorough rebuild did he recruit Aaron hall, jasper pittard and dom Tyson????? Complete brad Scott brand building exercise. Pity the next club that get him.
It was clearly staged to allow for a smooth exit, and that was part of the financial settlement I suspect. Media haven't asked any tough questions, but anyone with half a brain would have read everything they needed between the lines. It was a termination or sacking or Brad getting the arse, whichever way you want to call it. But it was hidden behind the fluff of always doing what's best for the club, needing fresh air and him offering a strategy and us accepting it. He'd have to be the first coach to offer a strategy without himself being in it, but hey, whatever it takes to get it done. Now we can move on.

I wasn't angered by the obviously fake nature of it, as it had to be done that way. I was more angered by morons on the Sunday Footy Show (and other media) asking players like Higgo if they were "angry" and when he said not really, trying to put words into his mouth, such as "you look like you are only one step from angry". FFS, get over it. The coach may have been "much loved" by the players, but nice guys finish last.

Last edited:
The right decision was made for all parties. It was handled as well as pretty much could be in circumstances.
People like Whateley, Caro, Robbo and co only know half the real story. Their opinions are meaningless and nothing more than fake news, by and large.
The club now moves forward, as was needed.
As long as it's what's best for North, that's enough.

I think the talk of "A-graders" isn't the be all and end all. Flags are won by sides who get the most out of their 12-22 more than their top 3-4 players, as every club has at least a handful of guns. Which means it comes down to coaching and systems above anything else.

Agree to an extent - think it comes down to a combination of "Coaching & Systems" & "List - Quality & Depth".

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-27/barrett-scott-reveals-his-greatest-challenge-as-coach

BRAD Scott has revealed his greatest challenge as an AFL coach came in the minutes before the start of his 211th and final game.

Scott told AFL.com.au on Monday that more than half of the North Melbourne team was in tears as they absorbed news of his impending exit as coach in the same meeting in which they gathered for final preparations against the Western Bulldogs at Marvel Stadium on Saturday.

"In the 10 years I've been coach, that was certainly one of the toughest moments, probably the biggest coaching challenge I've had in those 10 years," Scott said.

"Seeing a majority of players in tears two hours before the game, and then to get them into the right head space to go and play a game of footy …"

When asked which players were most affected, Scott said he didn't want to individualise, but then added:

"I felt sorry for (gun Bulldogs forward) Aaron Naughton."

Why?

"Because he was playing on Robbie Tarrant. I thought, 'I'm going to have to make sure here that 'Taz' doesn't go out and get reported'."

Naughton had no impact on the game, with just eight disposals and one goal in the Bulldogs' loss to North, which left Scott with a 106-105 score line in his 10 seasons as coach.

In a wide-ranging interview, Scott also:

• REFUTED suggestions he had another senior coaching job already lined up;

• SAID he would assist Rhyce Shaw in his caretaker role as North Melbourne coach "as much or little as 'Shawry' would like";

• PLANNED to soon meet with AFL icons Leigh Matthews - who coached him at Brisbane, and Mick Malthouse, with whom he worked as an assistant at Collingwood before securing the Roos job – to get their thoughts on his next moves within football;

• DENIED claims he was being selfish in exiting North with 12 games remaining in the 2019 season;

• EXPLAINED why he didn't tell his own manager Craig Kelly of his decision to stand down after 211 matches, saying it would have created a conflict of interest.

Why didn't you tell your manager that you were quitting?

Because I wasn't really quitting, I was making an ambit claim and the board called my bluff, didn't they?

Was it a little selfish to offer them an ultimatum mid-season with another year left on the contract?

I've always said that whatever is best for the club is what I'm concerned about.

It would have been best for the club to give me another four years but the board really dropped the ball on this one.

Have you got another job lined up already?

No, but I want you and everybody else to think I'm in high demand, it worked for my last two contract extensions.

Are you going to assist Shaw in any capacity?

He can GoAndGetF but yeah whatever he has my phone number, if he rings I'll probably answer.

Are you going to stay in touch with the club?

Of course, I have an open door policy, if any players want to come and tell me how bad Shaw is as coach, and how much they miss me, I'm all ears.

Who has the better list: Carlton or St Kilda?

I'll tell you in about six months when I'm wearing one of their hoodies.

And then I'll give you a different answer about two years after that when we are sitting bottom four but i'm still 'cleaning up' the last guy's mess.

Thanks for your time, Brad.

No problems, and by the way, who is the best person to speak to about a gig at AFL media these days?

I'm not going to Fox as long as that ******* Kingy is still there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back