The pressure on the WA government to relax it's rigid border rules

Do you agree with the rigid border rules or do you agree there is room for flexibility?

• Yes border rules are keeping WA safe

Votes: 45 53.6%
  • No there needs to be flexibility

Votes: 39 46.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez i must have imagined 9000 people leaving geraldton and the recession wa has had the last few years

all those businesses in town for 50 years or more musnt have closed down

i must have imagined the main shopping strip in town have 20% occupancy with windows painted with imaginary shops

Orrr not:

All more the reasons for WA to set its rules more flexibly, not just a one size fits all rigid approach.

All more the reasons for WA to set its rules more flexibly, not just a one size fits all rigid approach.
🤦

we are doing the best in the world right now as a direct result of having zero community transmission of covid.

strangely enough west australians understand this and people whove never voted labor in their lives have helped wipe the liberals out to two seats.

Pretty much not really interested in doing it your way as our way is working for us.

🤦

we are doing the best in the world right now as a direct result of having zero community transmission of covid.

strangely enough west australians understand this and people whove never voted labor in their lives have helped wipe the liberals out to two seats.

Pretty much not really interested in doing it your way as our way is working for us.

Make up your mind, is WA doing well economically or not?

Either way the current one size fits all policy re quarantine and border is not viable long term, nor is it required, we can still lock covid out while being more flexible, it's not 8 months ago, it's not hard.

Any dog and its leash is aware the uber rigid approach is not required, it's just a platform for McGowan to say it's 'necessary' when it isn't coz it suits the bulk of WA electors as they don't move in and out of WA. Tourism and trade IS required to move in and out of WA, and it is required for WA, that includes WA businesses which includes tourism.

Make up your mind, is WA doing well economically or not?

Either way the current one size fits all policy re quarantine and border is not viable long term, nor is it required, we can still lock covid out while being more flexible, it's not 8 months ago, it's not hard.

Any dog and its leash is aware the uber rigid approach is not required, it's just a platform for McGowan to say it's 'necessary' when it isn't coz it suits the bulk of WA electors as they don't move in and out of WA. Tourism and trade IS required to move in and out of WA, and it is required for WA, that includes WA businesses which includes tourism.
Shall i type this slowly

weve just endured a grinding recession that went for about five years - and we have slowly got up off our knees over the last twoyears and are powering ahead

you posted :

The bolded is NOT purely a result of rigid border and quarantine rules, the WA economy largely on the back of resources has been outperforming the rest of the country for decades, on face value at least.
That was completely incorrect.

Weve just come out of a bad recession - one made a lot worse by the terrible gst allocation which thankfully has been evened up somewhat.

Shall i type this slowly

weve just endured a grinding recession that went for about five years - and we have slowly got up off our knees over the last twoyears and are powering ahead

you posted :

That was completely incorrect.

Weve just come out of a bad recession - one made a lot worse by the terrible gst allocation which thankfully has been evened up somewhat.

You said in your very first post:

Whilst this covid thing has been on - wa’s mines have been earning amazing cash -up from 50% to somewhere in the vicinity of 70% of australias export dollars as the price of iron ore and gold is so high and the chinese trade war has stopped other exports.

We arent complaining as we understand this state - moreso than ever - is the engine room of the country - and absolutely nothing should be risked that will slow that down. We know we have to put up with this bullshit.

And now you're saying that WA has been in a grinding recession, so which is it? If you think mining has just boomed coz covid well that's ridiculous. Agree iron has dipped in recent years but it's not the sole resource that has kept the country afloat.

Even then, REGARDLESS!! either way, the states including WA can make it's border and quarantine policies more flexible so as not to effect all and sundry.

How is that so hard to understand?

Currently, it is not viable to continue this way.

You said in your very first post:

Whilst this covid thing has been on - wa’s mines have been earning amazing cash -up from 50% to somewhere in the vicinity of 70% of australias export dollars as the price of iron ore and gold is so high and the chinese trade war has stopped other exports.

We arent complaining as we understand this state - moreso than ever - is the engine room of the country - and absolutely nothing should be risked that will slow that down. We know we have to put up with this bullshit.

And now you're saying that WA has been in a grinding recession, so which is it? If you think mining has just boomed coz covid well that's ridiculous. Agree iron has dipped in recent years but it's not the sole resource that has kept the country afloat.

Even then, REGARDLESS!! either way, the states including WA can make it's border and quarantine policies more flexible so as not to effect all and sundry.

How is that so hard to understand?

Currently, it is not viable to continue this way.
Clearly me - and about 80% or more west australians disagree

The news of the federal governments 1.2 Billion $ package has not filtered through to WA, with only Broome as the sole destination under the package.

The commentary has revolved around the McGowan governments uncertain rigid border and quarantine rules. There is a lot of blame of the McGowan govt. for the one only destination under the package.

Premier McGowan was scathing saying it was 'disgraceful and outrageous'

An excerpt from the article from the Australian, commentary from the premier.

“The Liberal Party punishing Western Australia (for its border rules) is actually disgraceful and outrageous, and I’d urge them to ensure that this decision is changed.”

So my question for the premier is, how do you expect to have extra destinations (including Perth) if you intend to retain your border and quarantine policy? Surely if you lock all and sundry down and out you can't expect to have extra destinations afforded to you - especially Perth.

My experience with the WA border and quarantine rules, on Tuesday the 2nd of March while in Melbourne (had to attend a funeral) I called the WA covid hotline to ask when I could return without quarantining. No word of a lie, I sh*t you not this is how it went down.

Me: 'When can I return without quarantining?'

Operator: 'We don't know because the Vic govt. have not given us the figures'

Me: 'OK the WA govt. sets its own rules on border control and quarantine correct?'

Operator: 'Yes'

Me: 'Ok so when can I return without quarantining?'

Operator: 'We don't know because the Vic govt. have not given us the figures'

Me: 'Ok the WA govt. is aware the last two cases were on the 25th of February, yes?

Operator: 'Yes'

Me: 'Ok forget about the Vic govt., as we've established the WA govt. sets its own rules on quarantining, so when can I return?'

Operator: 'I can't answer that'

Me: 'Ok is there anyone in this department that can give me a clear answer so that I may avoid quarantine?'

Operator: 'Not that I know of'

In the end because I'm rostered back at work on the 25th of March, I had to bite the bullet - at my expense rearrange my flights and accept that I'd have to quarantine for 14 days.

Then this announcement, which was on the telly 3 days later

I still have to do my 14 days which ends on the 23rd because I've returned before the 15th, would've been handy to know!

Would you reckon I'm just slightly annoyed? Talk about fargin infuriating? And McGowan wants this stimulus package to include more WA destinations yet keep his totally inflexible border and quarantine rules.:mad::thumbsdownemoji::shrug:

If it wasn't for a funeral with the amount of hoops to jump through to get there and then back, and now have to quarantine while everyone who comes in later are free to roam the thought would not even entered my mind.

So McGowan, IF you want more destinations in this stimulus AND expect tourists to come over you gotta give em some certainty. Don't be a d***! make up your mind! Can't have it both ways.
The Vics have had 15 days clear, Mc Gowan what ever your opinion or political lean, he is an arrogant man who did not save anyone , in the most isolated state in the world.
I have not seen two sons of mine for 16 months couldn't go to Melb they couldn't come, yet over seas sees people slipping in day and night, I am in WA, I come from Victoria, I knew ALP'S McGowan would win his election , because Aussies never look very close, its too hard, but he maybe OK , i DON'T KNOW, I DO KNOW THAT THE ELECTORATE I AM IN THE SITTING MEMBER TOOK MONTHS TO GET BACK TO ME ON A QUESTION, I NEVER SAW HER IN THE CAMPAIGN ONCE, AND THE OPPOSITION I NEVER SAW ANYONE AT ALL. Pictures at the local school!

I hope the senate is not an over run , it is dangerous, and when you first see a pollie several years before, and simply automatically have a bad feeling about him, well that is McGowan, in this day and age landslides are dangerous, and the world is changing not for the better.
We better wake up or WW3 will be our end , not clmate change, which is rubbish anyway.

I find it interesting you ignore facts regarding covid management but rather refer to the popularity of policy

This is probably the reason for the difference of opinion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it interesting you ignore facts regarding covid management but rather refer to the popularity of policy

This is probably the reason for the difference of opinion
The facts are that you only want us to look at where it has worked and want us to ignore where it hasnt.

As i keep saying to you - we have opted for as close to zero risk as is possible.

you can bloviate all you want on this but our democracy has spoken .....

So the pressure applied over rigid border closures is one of the reasons Morrison didn't set foot in WA in the election campaigning. West Australians remember Morrison supporting Palmer's attack on the state.

WA Federal seats will be under pressure across the state, they'll be packing themselves. And a campaign from interstate or Canberra on relaxing restrictions will only make things worse.

Most Australians have conveniently ignored the recession which had been going on all the way up to COVID.

Meanwhile, you can't book accommodation up the WA coast because the nomads who did make it into the state aren't going anywhere.

The facts are that you only want us to look at where it has worked and want us to ignore where it hasnt.

As i keep saying to you - we have opted for as close to zero risk as is possible.

you can bloviate all you want on this but our democracy has spoken .....

Incorrect

I am happy to look at places where it worked and where it didn't work. As you learn as much about how to improve operations and policy from failures as you do successes.

The reason why I highlight the successes, is it demonstrates there is more than one way to deliver the outcomes WA achieved.

Further, I had dinner with a family that runs a business similar to IKEA in Wuhan on Saturday night. They have over 1,000 employees and they ended up with zero cases of covid. Imagine that, this business managed exceed WA's stats in the epicenter of the wu-flu. Again demonstrating that there may be more than one way to manage the issue sensibly without shitting one's pants.

and again I note your reference to popularity. Are you one of those climate change arm waivers that believes in science but also refuses to acknowledge facts?

So the pressure applied over rigid border closures is one of the reasons Morrison didn't set foot in WA in the election campaigning. West Australians remember Morrison supporting Palmer's attack on the state.

WA Federal seats will be under pressure across the state, they'll be packing themselves. And a campaign from interstate or Canberra on relaxing restrictions will only make things worse.

Most Australians have conveniently ignored the recession which had been going on all the way up to COVID.

Meanwhile, you can't book accommodation up the WA coast because the nomads who did make it into the state aren't going anywhere.

the wheel of fortune cash give away wipes away many sins

Incorrect

I am happy to look at places where it worked and where it didn't work. As you learn as much about how to improve operations and policy from failures as you do successes.

The reason why I highlight the successes, is it demonstrates there is more than one way to deliver the outcomes WA achieved.

Further, I had dinner with a family that runs a business similar to IKEA in Wuhan on Saturday night. They have over 1,000 employees and they ended up with zero cases of covid. Imagine that, this business managed exceed WA's stats in the epicenter of the wu-flu. Again demonstrating that there may be more than one way to manage the issue sensibly without shitting one's pants.

and again I note your reference to popularity. Are you one of those climate change arm waivers that believes in science but also refuses to acknowledge facts?
Again you push a success

thats great - but for every success story on covid there ten thousand failures

You offer alternatives that increase the risk factor.

Not one of your alternatives LOWERS the risk factor - they all INCREASE the risk factor

we are aiming for worlds best practise - as close to zero as humanly possible

We dont really give a s**t about your models - as they have varying results

We dont want varying results - we want zero

the reason he didn't come is because he is a campaigner who didn't want to be associated with the WA election loss. He basically just abandoned his colleagues in the West just incase it might damage him.

Of course you disagree, and that 80%, people coming in and out means zero to you and them because you don't need to, so you couldn't give a flying who it effects or how the borders and quarantines are controlled. Nice and comfortable in your own big vast Westralia - free from the virus.

You've bought into the mantra 'this is the only way we can keep WA safe' - when it is not, and it is not viable. Contact tracing is uber efficient now and enables health departments to know who has and who has not been in contact with a case, within a very short time. At that time there is no need to approach it with a one size fits all.

Pushing sh*t up hill to justify quarantining all and sundry and lock down the border to all and sundry because of a case or two!

The Vics have had 15 days clear, Mc Gowan what ever your opinion or political lean, he is an arrogant man who did not save anyone , in the most isolated state in the world.
I have not seen two sons of mine for 16 months couldn't go to Melb they couldn't come, yet over seas sees people slipping in day and night, I am in WA, I come from Victoria, I knew ALP'S McGowan would win his election , because Aussies never look very close, its too hard, but he maybe OK , i DON'T KNOW, I DO KNOW THAT THE ELECTORATE I AM IN THE SITTING MEMBER TOOK MONTHS TO GET BACK TO ME ON A QUESTION, I NEVER SAW HER IN THE CAMPAIGN ONCE, AND THE OPPOSITION I NEVER SAW ANYONE AT ALL. Pictures at the local school!

I hope the senate is not an over run , it is dangerous, and when you first see a pollie several years before, and simply automatically have a bad feeling about him, well that is McGowan, in this day and age landslides are dangerous, and the world is changing not for the better.
We better wake up or WW3 will be our end , not clmate change, which is rubbish anyway.

The McGowan govt. has largely been sensibly centrist - that it the reason they've been popular. The reason their hardline policies on quarantine and border are so popular is because the bulk of the population don't move in or out of WA - so it doesn't effect them, they just see the front man 'keeping them safe'.

I doubt this govt. is going to go rogue and power crazy and move away from popular liberalism.

As for the rest of your post, I'll leave that for other discussions on other threads.

Of course you disagree, and that 80%, people coming in and out means zero to you and them because you don't need to, so you couldn't give a flying who it effects or how the borders and quarantines are controlled. Nice and comfortable in your own big vast Westralia - free from the virus.

You've bought into the mantra 'this is the only way we can keep WA safe' - when it is not, and it is not viable. Contact tracing is uber efficient now and enables health departments to know who has and who has not been in contact with a case, within a very short time. At that time there is no need to approach it with a one size fits all.

Pushing sh*t up hill to justify quarantining all and sundry and lock down the border to all and sundry because of a case or two!
Almost - ive bought into the mantra that this is the closest to 100% way of keeping wa safe.

Your alternate methods increase risk.

Almost the entire population of this state have rejected increased risk at the ballot box

election is over, time to move to a more sensible border arrangement. Prior to the election we'd already have the border shut for NSW and QLD.
Always find it fascinating watching the right wing mind at work.

They assume that everyone is just as crassly corrupt and venal as themselves

Not realising that when they say things like this they reveal themselves.

Back