The pressure on the WA government to relax it's rigid border rules

Do you agree with the rigid border rules or do you agree there is room for flexibility?

• Yes border rules are keeping WA safe

Votes: 45 53.6%
  • No there needs to be flexibility

Votes: 39 46.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Well as the op and someone who has skin in the game (family in vic) I see it going one of these ways.
  • We can contain and trace Omicron until it all calms down over east, effectively dodgin the bullet. Until the next goal shift variant and then until the whole thing comes endemic. Methinks sometime at the end of the year or next year for this scenario.
This is preferred because of avoiding the sh*t sandwich that is asymptomatic people not being able to work coz they're positive or a close contact, totally kyboshing hospitals and supply chains. Not to mention the likely delaying of death to the vulnerable groups.

This will take longer but preferred for obvious reasons.
  • We can't contain and trace Omicron and it spreads like it has east and we have to do the hard yards like the pioneering states of jumping before they look. This will deem a closed border redundant, and would be career suicide for McGoin nowhere to keep it shut once we reach the point of not being able to trace.
This will be quicker, maybe even the next week or two or sooner who knows, but this is the sh*t sandwich we'll have to eat like I explained above.

Thank you for your normal and measured response that doesn’t include tourism dollars 🤣🤣.

Sounds like you are keen to open and close according to variants?
Are you confident the boosters can keep cases low when you finally do open?

Sucks you can’t see your family in Victoria. Hopefully by Easter you’ll be able to. Hope you’re okay!

Last edited:
Thank you for your normal and measured response that doesn’t include tourism dollars.

Sounds like you are keen to open and close when need be?

Well that's a sub topic that I'm sure is very important to a lot of people here, it's their livelihood. But they've been able to rely on local tourist $, wouldn't imagine many have gone under here from lack of non local tourist $.

I'm more worried about the vulnerable dying here, yeah that's a small number. But hey if we can save them AND keep Omi under control until it peters out AND hope it becomes endemic before or stop it getting out of control here then that'd be the best outcome.

Unlikely I know but that seems the goal.

I get the opinion that McGoin nowhere's reactions are over reactions, all depends on where you sit.

Well that's a sub topic that I'm sure is very important to a lot of people here, it's their livelihood. But they've been able to rely on local tourist $, wouldn't imagine many have gone under here from lack of non local tourist $.

I'm more worried about the vulnerable dying here, yeah that's a small number. But hey if we can save them AND keep Omi under control until it peters out AND hope it becomes endemic before or stop it getting out of control here then that'd be the best outcome.

Unlikely I know but that seems the goal.

I get the opinion that McGoin nowhere's reactions are over reactions, all depends on where you sit.

Reckon McGoin will be able to handle thousands of new cases if hospitals are able to manage the workload and hospitalisations are low?

Reckon McGoin will be able to handle thousands of new cases if hospitals are able to manage the workload and hospitalisations are low?

Well that'd be entirely unknown for me, methinks that the hospitals wouldn't and that might be the reasoning to keep closed.

But he might not have a choice, it might get to a point to where we can't keep trace, then we end up with the sh*tshow that is happening over east. This is the last thing we want.

Someone inform McGoin nowhere.

“Stealth” 🤣🤣🤣🤣 will never look at journos the same after this pandemic

And here comes "Son of Omricon"...the rest of the family will be due during the year and next...what will McClown do?

Well considering he was already on about the 4th eave in the east happening in winter he has no intentions of opening anything until the end of the year…..

I mean ignoring the economic aspects thats great.

But never forget that the east isnt doing it this way because that was the plan.

You had it foisted on you by a bunch of incompetents who are trying to make this look like a grand plan but its really a giant science experiment with peoples lives.

Im really happy that we in wa get to sit back and watch the experiment unfold and adjust accordingly.

If it works well and good, if back to school causes another wave that isnt as controlled - then we rethink things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jesus. Hospitalisations and ICU rocketed up also. Funnily enough some people still think this booster is going to minimise new cases 🤣
may mean that 3 jabs is where immunity peaks
if this trend is true re israel it will help answer the question about whether there will be ongoing jabs.

A turning point - when the Health Minister said last week that there were "lockdowns in all but name" over east.

Any West Aussie could turn on the TV to see the AO tennis or cricket or any other event and the crowds and realise they've just been lied to.

Since then I've noticed they've been a lot less arrogant, meeting to discuss the rules and measures for post opening they should've done 4 weeks earlier.
THe "lockdowns" were more staff absences due to having covid
this seems to be easing a little
the ED nursing staff number has improved although could just be start of new general nursing contracts (certainly numbers of senior nurses not increasing)

may mean that 3 jabs is where immunity peaks
if this trend is true re israel it will help answer the question about whether there will be ongoing jabs.

What are they up to now? 4?

Where are these anti viral pills in aus? Can’t keep jabbing every 3 months.

What are they up to now? 4?

Where are these anti viral pills in aus? Can’t keep jabbing every 3 months.
they are up to 4
and yes am waiting for these antiviral pills as well, would mean we wont need to do the admission for the IV injection, which is annoying for ambulant patients who have independent transport but massively frustrating for aged care patients reliant on patient transport to bring in and out - it is a delay of hours getting patients off the ward when we aren't doing further hospital based treatment.

they are up to 4
and yes am waiting for these antiviral pills as well, would mean we wont need to do the admission for the IV injection, which is annoying for ambulant patients who have independent transport but massively frustrating for aged care patients reliant on patient transport to bring in and out - it is a delay of hours getting patients off the ward when we aren't doing further hospital based treatment.

See the issue that the article highlights is that we don’t know how we will access these medications in Australia. My ED colleagues await a response from the infectious disease team (who likely asked the question up the chain to dhs etc). What concerns me is that we will know in the “coming weeks” which sounds like the bushfire repair fund (announced but never spent)

“Australia recorded its deadliest day of the COVID-19 pandemic on Friday as the medical watchdog provisionally approved the Pfizer vaccine as a booster shot for the nation’s 16 and 17-year-olds.
Thirty-nine of the nation’s 98 COVID-19 deaths reported were Victorians – the highest number of fatalities recorded on a single day in the state since the outbreak of either the Delta or Omicron strains of the virus.”

“The booster doses were 90 percent effective at keeping people out of hospital after they had become infected with the Omicron variant.”

E2F9CCB2-1790-40F9-BB70-899B4E25130D.png

Back