The pressure on the WA government to relax it's rigid border rules

Do you agree with the rigid border rules or do you agree there is room for flexibility?

• Yes border rules are keeping WA safe

Votes: 45 53.6%
  • No there needs to be flexibility

Votes: 39 46.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah not just that, disruptions to supply chains coz pos or close contact, snowball effect, can't just go and buy what you want, you can't tell me it's ideal.

McGoin nowhere wants to avoid all that, I agree he might not be able to but it's not impossible.

Would certainly be much more preferred if we could avoid it all, let it peter out elsewhere and then open the borders.

Yeah not just that, disruptions to supply chains coz pos or close contact, snowball effect, can't just go and buy what you want, you can't tell me it's ideal.

McGoin nowhere wants to avoid all that, I agree he might not be able to but it's not impossible.

Would certainly be much more preferred if we could avoid it all, let it peter out elsewhere and then open the borders.
There will be no avoiding it. Its going to happen. And despite trying to avoid what the east has done - east being where i am in qld - those things will happen.

Those things have settled too quite a bit. Haven’t seen empty shelves at all for over a week or more now. And less places with last minute closures like cafes and shops.

I mean ignoring the economic aspects thats great.

Umm not it's not.
If it works well and good, if back to school causes another wave that isnt as controlled - then we rethink things.

If we have another wave, there's no rethinking and it's all a ok - it's adapt on the fly, and try and salvage. Like the east are doin now.

It is petering out elsewhere.

The Omicron wave started in Australia around Dec 18 when new cases breached 3,000 per day for the first time. It peaked around Jan 13-15 at about 110,000 new cases per day.

Right now the country is where it was on Jan 6th, at about 55,000 new cases per day. The exponential rise of Dec 18 - Jan 13 is being followed by an almost identical exponential fall in cases.

So that indicates we should be back to around 1,000-3,000 cases per day nationwide around Feb 11th.

So it is petering out around the nation then. By that stage more RATs will be available plus more boosted, plus Feb and March are still pretty hot in WA, so ideal to let the wave through then, if the current one hasn't taken off. Like I said before the delay in border reopening will only be for a few weeks, 3-4 tops.

There will be no avoiding it. Its going to happen.

That's not a given, it is possible. And yeah things are getting better over east, that doesn't mean we should not try.

I get the, 'is it worth trying to avoid vs being able to be reunited with family, go back to work etc' it's a call that no one in this thread can make.

The Omicron wave started in Australia around Dec 18 when new cases breached 3,000 per day for the first time. It peaked around Jan 13-15 at about 110,000 new cases per day.

Right now the country is where it was on Jan 6th, at about 55,000 new cases per day. The exponential rise of Dec 18 - Jan 13 is being followed by an almost identical exponential fall in cases.

So that indicates we should be back to around 1,000-3,000 cases per day nationwide around Feb 11th.

So it is petering out around the nation then. By that stage more RATs will be available plus more boosted, plus Feb and March are still pretty hot in WA, so ideal to let the wave through then, if the current one hasn't taken off. Like I said before the delay in border reopening will only be for a few weeks, 3-4 tops.

Well it's not 'ideal' to 'let the wave through' at all.

I get what you're saying, to me it looks like the 'least worst' IMO.

There will be no avoiding it. Its going to happen. And despite trying to avoid what the east has done - east being where i am in qld - those things will happen.

Those things have settled too quite a bit. Haven’t seen empty shelves at all for over a week or more now. And less places with last minute closures like cafes and shops.
Some items have been hard to come by in Melbourne. I've had trouble getting toilet paper and cat food, though I still have enough stock for a few weeks.

Be interesting and very instructive to wa where it goes over east once the kids go back to school.

Some items have been hard to come by in Melbourne. I've had trouble getting toilet paper and cat food, though I still have enough stock for a few weeks.
SEQ: toilet paper is back :). Was only missing for one week. This week, facial tissues are a bit short on. Plenty of meat and vegs as far as I could see. Managed to get everything on the shopping list.

Be interesting and very instructive to wa where it goes over east once the kids go back to school.

I think it’s going to be a real mixed bag and there’s going to be some real frustration early on. There’s going to be many parents who can’t afford to test their child weekly/ are not able to have them at home for a week to isolate as they need to go to work to earn an income. They’ll then just keep their kids going to school if positive or not. Then you have people who don’t believe in the virus/ don’t believe in any severity who will just continue to send their kids to school without a care in the world.

And of course others will test their kids weekly and isolate accordingly if positive. They’ll have the ability to either work from home or have the kids looked after at home.

I am assuming the kids needing to isolate will be able to access the same classes online? Let’s hope this is all organised but I think there will be some real teething issues.

Chicken (uncooked) also in short supply at supermarket

SEQ: toilet paper is back :). Was only missing for one week. This week, facial tissues are a bit short on. Plenty of meat and vegs as far as I could see. Managed to get everything on the shopping list.

Im in Sydney and havent seen anything missing from my list. Its possible there are lots missing. I do see some empty spaces but nothing that I buy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im in Sydney and havent seen anything missing from my list. Its possible there are lots missing. I do see some empty spaces but nothing that I buy.

In Perth I noticed chicken, toilet paper, pain killers and rice were lacking on my last trip. Plenty of dry pasta which is usually a panic buy staple and fresh fruit and veg, other meats were about what I'd expect for a Monday night.

I honestly reckon you could buy up a trolley full of anything from your local, post photos to social media about a shortage and cause a state wide panic buying spree. People are idiots. Half tempted to start rumours of a milk shortage and blame Vic/NSW, despite the entire supply chain from cow to supermarket shelf existing within WA.

Looks like the return to school of kids in the UK/Europe after the NY break didn't have too much of an effect on the curve, the wave has either peaked or is falling in most of Europe.

Looking at the 2021 return to school in Europe in September there was a tiny rise in cases in most countries in September, but it was miniscule compared to the omicron waves and very short lived.

Bt
Looks like the return to school of kids in the UK/Europe after the NY break didn't have too much of an effect on the curve, the wave has either peaked or is falling in most of Europe.

Looking at the 2021 return to school in Europe in September there was a tiny rise in cases in most countries in September, but it was miniscule compared to the omicron waves and very short lived.
are the kids there vaxxed or not?

Bt

are the kids there vaxxed or not?

I'd back the WHO judgement on vaccination of kids and in the case of novovax....

Who is the vaccine not recommended for?​

Most children and adolescents are at very low risk of severe COVID-19. Safety and immunogenicity data are currently being generated for those aged under 18 years. Until this data are available, vaccination of persons under the age of 18 is not recommended.

Last edited:
In Perth I noticed chicken, toilet paper, pain killers and rice were lacking on my last trip. Plenty of dry pasta which is usually a panic buy staple and fresh fruit and veg, other meats were about what I'd expect for a Monday night.

I honestly reckon you could buy up a trolley full of anything from your local, post photos to social media about a shortage and cause a state wide panic buying spree. People are idiots. Half tempted to start rumours of a milk shortage and blame Vic/NSW, despite the entire supply chain from cow to supermarket shelf existing within WA.
Buy shares in BigMilk first

Thats what they tell me on the conspiracy threads

Absolutely, here in SA people were talking up shortages at supermarkets for meat and common items, not so much the panic buying basics this time around.

The stupidity of people was to attempt to rush to the shops and buy more when all you needed to do was wait for the supermarkets to restock. The store were actually telling everyone it wasn't a stock issue but a personal issue as some places were operating with 25 - 30% or sometimes more of staff who were in quarantine with SA healths quarantine requirements for.close contacts.

You could tell the w***ers on social media trying to blow this up, they all kept sharing the same few photos over and over again.

Absolutely, here in SA people were talking up shortages at supermarkets for meat and common items, not so much the panic buying basics this time around.

The stupidity of people was to attempt to rush to the shops and buy more when all you needed to do was wait for the supermarkets to restock. The store were actually telling everyone it wasn't a stock issue but a personal issue as some places were operating with 25 - 30% or sometimes more of staff who were in quarantine with SA healths quarantine requirements for.close contacts.

You could tell the w***ers on social media trying to blow this up, they all kept sharing the same few photos over and over again.
Rigters iga in gero just put limits on every time the hoarders start doing their thing - its bloody brillliant because it stops it dead. We have a coupla empty shelves for a day and everyone realises that the planet isnt crashing into the sun….

Wasnt the question.

Im asking if the kids in the countries he mentioned, vaxxed or not

I wasn't answering a question, I was making a statement.

Do you feel the world revolves around you?

but how do you feel about west australian iconic businesses leaving WA because of McGowan's policy?

Icbf looking for it but you wrote it a number of times when Feb 5 was announced you wrote we’d be lucky to get to 80% let alone 90%. Your saying we won’t get to 80%, we’ll be at 75% March 2nd. Easter is the 17th of April. So you don’t think we’ll get that 5% in 6 and a half weeks. Imo we’ll be closer to 90% than 80% come the 17th April. Like I say if the goal posts stay the same by 17th April and McGowan doesn’t open I’ll turn on him 100%. Bookmark it if you want.

what about working backwards - does the mandatory time difference between 2nd jab -> booster come into play (3 months?). whatever your vaccination rate was at 17th jan is the most % you could possibly achieve for booster rates. unless my maths is wrong, which is possible.
not saying you're wrong, or that mcgowan is doing the wrong thing - it's the states own residents he has to keep happy. just that i haven't seen the 3 month between jab/booster enter the discussion.

Back