The pressure on the WA government to relax it's rigid border rules

Do you agree with the rigid border rules or do you agree there is room for flexibility?

• Yes border rules are keeping WA safe

Votes: 45 53.6%
  • No there needs to be flexibility

Votes: 39 46.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
The news of the federal governments 1.2 Billion $ package has not filtered through to WA, with only Broome as the sole destination under the package.

The commentary has revolved around the McGowan governments uncertain rigid border and quarantine rules. There is a lot of blame of the McGowan govt. for the one only destination under the package.

Premier McGowan was scathing saying it was 'disgraceful and outrageous'

An excerpt from the article from the Australian, commentary from the premier.

“The Liberal Party punishing Western Australia (for its border rules) is actually disgraceful and outrageous, and I’d urge them to ensure that this decision is changed.”

So my question for the premier is, how do you expect to have extra destinations (including Perth) if you intend to retain your border and quarantine policy? Surely if you lock all and sundry down and out you can't expect to have extra destinations afforded to you - especially Perth.

My experience with the WA border and quarantine rules, on Tuesday the 2nd of March while in Melbourne (had to attend a funeral) I called the WA covid hotline to ask when I could return without quarantining. No word of a lie, I sh*t you not this is how it went down.

Me: 'When can I return without quarantining?'

Operator: 'We don't know because the Vic govt. have not given us the figures'

Me: 'OK the WA govt. sets its own rules on border control and quarantine correct?'

Operator: 'Yes'

Me: 'Ok so when can I return without quarantining?'

Me: 'Ok the WA govt. is aware the last two cases were on the 25th of February, yes?

Me: 'Ok forget about the Vic govt., as we've established the WA govt. sets its own rules on quarantining, so when can I return?'

Operator: 'I can't answer that'

Me: 'Ok is there anyone in this department that can give me a clear answer so that I may avoid quarantine?'

Operator: 'Not that I know of'

In the end because I'm rostered back at work on the 25th of March, I had to bite the bullet - at my expense rearrange my flights and accept that I'd have to quarantine for 14 days.

Then this announcement, which was on the telly 3 days later

I still have to do my 14 days which ends on the 23rd because I've returned before the 15th, would've been handy to know!

Would you reckon I'm just slightly annoyed? Talk about fargin infuriating? And McGowan wants this stimulus package to include more WA destinations yet keep his totally inflexible border and quarantine rules.:mad::thumbsdownemoji::shrug:

If it wasn't for a funeral with the amount of hoops to jump through to get there and then back, and now have to quarantine while everyone who comes in later are free to roam the thought would not even entered my mind.

So McGowan, IF you want more destinations in this stimulus AND expect tourists to come over you gotta give em some certainty. Don't be a d***! make up your mind! Can't have it both ways.

The news of the federal governments 1.2 Billion $ package has not filtered through to WA, with only Broome as the sole destination under the package.

The commentary has revolved around the McGowan governments uncertain rigid border and quarantine rules. There is a lot of blame of the McGowan govt. for the one only destination under the package.

“The Liberal Party punishing Western Australia (for its border rules) is actually disgraceful and outrageous, and I’d urge them to ensure that this decision is changed.”

So my question for the premier is, how do you expect to have extra destinations (including Perth) if you intend to retain your border and quarantine policy? Surely if you lock all and sundry down and out you can't expect to have extra destinations afforded to you - especially Perth.

My experience with the WA border and quarantine rules, on Tuesday the 2nd of March while in Melbourne (had to attend a funeral) I called the WA covid hotline to ask when I could return without quarantining. No word of a lie, I sh*t you not this is how it went down.

Me: 'OK the WA govt. sets its own rules on border control and quarantine correct?'

Me: 'Ok the WA govt. is aware the last two cases were on the 25th of February, yes?

Me: 'Ok forget about the Vic govt., as we've established the WA govt. sets its own rules on quarantining, so when can I return?'

Me: 'Ok is there anyone in this department that can give me a clear answer so that I may avoid quarantine?'

In the end because I'm rostered back at work on the 25th of March, I had to bite the bullet - at my expense rearrange my flights and accept that I'd have to quarantine for 14 days.

I still have to do my 14 days which ends on the 23rd because I've returned before the 15th, would've been handy to know!

Would you reckon I'm just slightly annoyed? Talk about fargin infuriating? And McGowan wants this stimulus package to include more WA destinations yet keep his totally inflexible border and quarantine rules.:mad::thumbsdownemoji::shrug:

If it wasn't for a funeral with the amount of hoops to jump through to get there and then back, and now have to quarantine while everyone who comes in later are free to roam the thought would not even entered my mind.

So McGowan, IF you want more destinations in this stimulus AND expect tourists to come over you gotta give em some certainty. Don't be a d***! make up your mind! Can't have it both ways.
How about heres another take

Our rigid rules have kept our mines operating without a seconds downtime - if covid got into mining camps it would rip through like a dose of salts. That south african highly contagious variant would go through the close packed dongas like s**t through a goose. Knock down a few key people and that mine is closed.

Whilst this covid thing has been on - wa’s mines have been earning amazing cash -up from 50% to somewhere in the vicinity of 70% of australias export dollars as the price of iron ore and gold is so high and the chinese trade war has stopped other exports.

We have jobkeeper and extra dole and now cheap flights and all of this is being subsided by the fact that one industry in australia is booming - absolutely knocking it out of the park.

Any Victorian style outbreak and lockdown could turn the tap off for the whole f#}%^% country

Why is that so f%#%^% hard for you eastern states folk to get that? I know its kinda hard for melbourne / sydney folk to think that they arent 90% of the universe - but you really need to understand exactly what wa mining means to the nation RIGHT NOW!!

We are literally in a trade war with our biggest trading partner. If there wasnt such a perfect congruence with brazils mine falling over and african mines yet to produce - the chinese would be telling us to stick iron up our arses as well. We could be in a grinding recession.

Luckily they dont have a choice so we as a country are still forging ahead - predicted to be the second most robust economy this year behind china.

We arent jeopardising that because its an inconvenience to people travelling.

Its a fu##%^ inconvenience to us too mate - my brother missed xmas then got caught with 14 days after he landed a few weeks ago. We had to cancel our trip to see him - couldnt change leave so now weve missed our holiday this year.

We arent complaining as we understand this state - moreso than ever - is the engine room of the country - and absolutely nothing should be risked that will slow that down. We know we have to put up with this bullshit.

McGowan is the one who has been outrageous

He claims he's kept WA safe but how does his record stand against other states? The reality is WA, Qld, SA, Tas, NT have all done a remarkable job highlighting there is more than one way to manage the issue

He claims he's kept WA safe but how does his record stand against other states? The reality is WA, Qld, SA, Tas, NT have all done a remarkable job highlighting there is more than one way to manage the issue
Not one of those states is risking the export dollars we are

Oh and

<<< Nearly 50 Queensland suburbs have been placed on high alert for signs of coronavirus after wastewater testing found fragments of the virus.
Fragments of the virus have been detected at the Cairns North, Marlin Coast, Fairfield and Mackay South wastewater treatment plants.
The catchment area takes in 49 different suburbs.>>>

Our rigid rules have kept our mines operating without a seconds downtime - if covid got into mining camps it would rip through like a dose of salts. That south african highly contagious variant would go through the close packed dongas like sh*t through a goose. Knock down a few key people and that mine is closed.

Whilst this covid thing has been on - wa’s mines have been earning amazing cash -up from 50% to somewhere in the vicinity of 70% of australias export dollars as the price of iron ore and gold is so high and the chinese trade war has stopped other exports.

We have jobkeeper and extra dole and now cheap flights and all of this is being subsided by the fact that one industry in australia is booming - absolutely knocking it out of the park.

Any Victorian style outbreak and lockdown could turn the tap off for the whole f#}%^% country

Why is that so f%#%^% hard for you eastern states folk to get that? I know its kinda hard for melbourne / sydney folk to think that they arent 90% of the universe - but you really need to understand exactly what wa mining means to the nation RIGHT NOW!!

We are literally in a trade war with our biggest trading partner. If there wasnt such a perfect congruence with brazils mine falling over and african mines yet to produce - the chinese would be telling us to stick iron up our arses as well. We could be in a grinding recession.

Luckily they dont have a choice so we as a country are still forging ahead - predicted to be the second most robust economy this year behind china.

Its a fu##%^ inconvenience to us too mate - my brother missed xmas then got caught with 14 days after he landed a few weeks ago. We had to cancel our trip to see him - couldnt change leave so now weve missed our holiday this year.

We arent complaining as we understand this state - moreso than ever - is the engine room of the country - and absolutely nothing should be risked that will slow that down. We know we have to put up with this bullshit.

I actually work on a gold mine, and it's the mine site itself that has imposed it's own restrictions - more stringent than the WA govt. But no tourist is (or rarely are going to want tour the gold mine I work on) It is very remote in the Goldfields.

To the bulk message of your post, I'll say this - captain obvious.

We've been over ad nauseum of why the border closures and quarantine requirements, and how the mining industry has kept the country afloat. Every dog and it's leash knows that.

That is not the point of the thread, the point of the thread is if McGowan has such a problem with not getting the kings ransom of destinations in the package then it's obvious why. People will be averse to come here because of the uncertainty, make certain or don't begrudge it. He's being inconsistent and wanting it both ways.

The other point is, and the WA govt. is not solely guilty, it has been every state and the federal govt. There is a one size fits approach all when it comes to quarantining and or border rules and is completely rigid. None more so than Marky's.

There is absolutely no nuance, and the one size only really applies to the few, and it's not like it's a year ago, we're talking about now and it is not viable in the medium to long term - contact tracing alone quickly tracks down those that the rules should apply to. Not all and sundry.

In my case how is it that the covid hotline could not tell me when I could return with quarantining?, given the WA govt. sets the rules? They should've had an answer, not 'dunno'. Then 3 days later Marky Mark announces quarantining will not be required come the 15th. W.T.F!!!

Nah that don't fly.

Oh and

<<< Nearly 50 Queensland suburbs have been placed on high alert for signs of coronavirus after wastewater testing found fragments of the virus.
Fragments of the virus have been detected at the Cairns North, Marlin Coast, Fairfield and Mackay South wastewater treatment plants.
The catchment area takes in 49 different suburbs.>>>

As a request I respectfully ask you stick to the thread subject.

That is. The completely inflexible border and quarantining rules.

As a request I respectfully ask you stick to the thread subject.

That is. The completely inflexible border and quarantining rules.
You dont think waiting to see what numbers state xyz come up with that day are going to affect those rules?

if xyz’s civid numbers are 20 vs 0 you dont think thats going to make a change?

Not one of those states is risking the export dollars we are

the reality is too many have s**t the bed over something that can be managed as evidenced by the stats of WA versus Qld, SA, NT, TAS. the stats speak for themselves

even in the height of covid and two week isolation, we were flying in our exploration team in NT from WA to drill in indigenous land. The isolation was waived by the NT govt and the indigenous groups authorised our entry.

This highlights a practical approach can be achieved

Our rigid rules have kept our mines operating without a seconds downtime - if covid got into mining camps it would rip through like a dose of salts. That south african highly contagious variant would go through the close packed dongas like sh*t through a goose. Knock down a few key people and that mine is closed.

Here's another way to look at it.

Family from QLD books a flight to Perth (if it is added to the stimulus) for a week, then there's one case in QLD while they're in flight or as they're boarding. The WA govt. are likely enforce quarantine to that family, at their expense I might add, then can't get back to work or school when they're supposed to.

So why would that family even bother in the first place? And therefore why add more destinations if anyone outside of WA is going to want to holiday here?

Here's another way to look at it.

Family from QLD books a flight to Perth (if it is added to the stimulus) for a week, then there's one case in QLD while they're in flight or as they're boarding. The WA govt. are likely enforce quarantine to that family, at their expense I might add, then can't get back to work or school when they're supposed to.

So why would that family even bother in the first place? And therefore why add more destinations if anyone outside of WA is going to want to holiday here?
Good point

so seeing as wa is in a bubble within a bubble why not offer wa residents the same deal to travel within wa.

job done -everyone happy

the reality is too many have sh*t the bed over something that can be managed as evidenced by the stats of WA versus Qld, SA, NT, TAS. the stats speak for themselves

even in the height of covid and two week isolation, we were flying in our exploration team in NT from WA to drill in indigenous land. The isolation was waived by the NT govt and the indigenous groups authorised our entry.

This highlights a practical approach can be achieved
And what happened in victoria happening here would send the country into a recession. We cant afford that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You dont think waiting to see what numbers state xyz come up with that day are going to affect those rules?

if xyz’s civid numbers are 20 vs 0 you dont think thats going to make a change?

Of course they'll effect the rules, again every dog and it's leash knows this, it's not the subject at hand.

The subject is the pressure on the McGowan govt. to relax or 'sophisticate' it's rules surrounding border and quarantine so it doesn't put that family from QLD in the sh*t.

Of course they'll effect the rules, again every dog and it's leash knows this, it's not the subject at hand.

The subject is the pressure on the McGowan govt. to relax or 'sophisticate' it's rules surrounding border and quarantine so it doesn't put that family from QLD in the sh*t.
Have you seen what happened to aboriginal communities in the spanish flu?

that family from qld is inconvenienced.

Good point

so seeing as wa is in a bubble within a bubble why not offer wa residents the same deal to travel within wa.

job done -everyone happy

That's already happening, and good on the local tourism ministry making that happen. (Margs and surrounding was exceptional and packed from the Mon - Thur that I went there in Oct.):thumbsu:

But Mark complaining about not getting more destinations in the stimulus is conflicting.

On the one hand he wants more destinations, yet on the other has stated the state will not change its policy.

That means he surely can't expect people to come here for the purposes of touring and giving $ to the local economy but expect to lock em in against their will in bad faith.

As mentioned in the election thread, the "buT tHe boRdeRs" argument ignores the fact that in this case, Morrison and Tehan explicitly stated today that the funding was to help destinations affected by the lack of international tourism. Something completely at the PMs control.

Unless the Prime Minister and Tourism Minister are suggesting that international travellers are completely ignoring the Western third of the country, the funding should be spread more evenly. (The NT and SA getting only one or two sites was equally ordinary)

And if this is little more than a transparent attempt to somehow "punish" McGowan, it's quite possibly the worst effort I've ever seen. The Premier doesn't give a s**t (in fact, it plays into the inherent parochialism that's underpinned his campaign and will probably boost the margin on Saturday). The only people the Government is laying a glove on here are already-struggling tourism businesses that could have used the support.

As mentioned in the election thread, the "buT tHe boRdeRs" argument ignores the fact that in this case, Morrison and Tehan explicitly stated today that the funding was to help destinations affected by the lack of international tourism. Something completely at the PMs control.

Unless the Prime Minister and Tourism Minister are suggesting that international travellers are completely ignoring the Western third of the country, the funding should be spread more evenly. (The NT and SA getting only one or two sites was equally ordinary)

And if this is little more than a transparent attempt to somehow "punish" McGowan, it's quite possibly the worst effort I've ever seen. The Premier doesn't give a sh*t (in fact, it plays into the inherent parochialism that's underpinned his campaign and will probably boost the margin on Saturday). The only people the Government is laying a glove on here are already-struggling tourism businesses that could have used the support.
What the pm has a massive problem with is reopening international borders

at some stage they will decide enough have had this az jab and its time to open up - we will have a wave of whatever variant that completely ignores the az jab and we will be back in emergency mode and wa will lock everyone out again really quickly and the federal libs wont want another international border closure - by this time they will just want to let it run its course saying we cant afford it.

wa sitting in the corner, borders closed not suffering like the rest will make them look the c%^*s they are

And if this is little more than a transparent attempt to somehow "punish" McGowan, it's quite possibly the worst effort I've ever seen. The Premier doesn't give a sh*t (in fact, it plays into the inherent parochialism that's underpinned his campaign and will probably boost the margin on Saturday). The only people the Government is laying a glove on here are already-struggling tourism businesses that could have used the support.

Tend to agree,

Maybe I should relabel the thread the unsuccessful pressure on the WA govt. to relax it's rigid border rules.

I'm currently in quarantine too. If they change Vic to Very Low Risk on Monday, we should be good to leave. I'm pretty sure this change was introduced in early January. I asked the copper who processed me through Perth airport on Monday and he just said not to move until I receive a message

Like that highly contagious UK variant that ripped through Perth last month?

Good point

job done -everyone happy

Brisbane to Cairns isn't included.

Apart from Broome, where else would you fly internally from Perth on a holiday? You can drive anywhere else worth going to in WA except for maybe Esperance (which Kalgoorlie book out anyway)

In the end, if international borders remain closed for another year or 2, a lot of the tourism industry won't survive not just in WA but across the whole country and we can't just prop it up indefinitely.

Darwin and Adelaide now added to the program. Only 2 points of departure will get you cheap flights to Victoria and those flights are into Avalon and not Melbourne. That would be like flying into an uninhabited Mandurah instead of Perth and without the train line.

You can't absolve McGowan here, he's killed the confidence of domestic tourists with his actions and defiant words.

Back