The Pub Poker Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there anybody still playing APL in Victoria?

I used to play APL regularly a few years ago and started playing again in September. This is the first season that I've managed to qualify for the state championships so I'm pretty happy with that. I got a little lucky though. I was venue leader but had struggled for the past few weeks. It came as a pleasant surprise when the TD announced that the venue would be stopping until the new year because the place had been booked for christmas functions.

From what I can gather the State Championships are on January 30 and the Vic Pro Open is at the same venue the following day. The first 50 placegetters automatically qualify for the Pro Open and that's where you qualify for the Wild Turkey Classic. With a $600,000 prize pool, that's the event you want to be in.

Where do you play Sainter? I play mainly down St Kilda way but have since stopped caring about points, cartds etc and just play for the fun of it.

Has anyone played World Poker Pro before? Thinking about hitting it up tomorrow night.

Played pub poker tonight... Session was fairly lol worthy... including my first BOOM card I have hit in a long time, probably the last one I hit since I one outed a friend of mine, or hit that set of nines on the river to keep the winning streak going against aces in a big pot....

Anyway, so Im sitting down with my usual maximum starting stack, because thats how I roll. I win a pot early with something. My mate then raises 77 on the button and gets two calls... Flop TT7. SB donks, a call, mate raises all in, SB calls, other guy calls. SB has QQ, Other AKo. Turn is a 4, river Q and my mate is in trouble early...

I get 26o in the BB. Flop Ac3c4d. I check, There is a bet, and I call hoping to spike a 5 and stack someone with 2x. Turn is a 5, but we are heads up. I check with the intention to check-raise his ass, but he checks back. River is the 8c. I bet 30 because I dont think this guy would donk a FD. He makes a quick call, and says the very thing I didnt want to see in "how high is yours?" I cry and T4cc limped from more or less UTG+1 wins the bacon...

I overlimp with A3s over 4 people. I dont usually do this at 3/5, but here, with people deeper stacks relative to the BB, I think its ok. Flop AT6r with one of my suit. Its a bet of 10 to me, and I call. I think I should have raised and made it the last money I put in the pot. Instead I called as did two others. Turn was a blankish card, there was a bet od 30 which I folded too with two people behind me. Instead, I am shown bottom pair and I cry a little bit...

Halftime, Im going alright, I win some pots, then I just go through a period where I dont actually know how to hit a board. I never get anything resembling a hand pre, and make a big loss by c-betting AK on a 55J board and getting minraised.... That sucked...

I lose some other pots and we get to the break up or down, Im not sure...

The thing about the night is that I dont remember making any great plays, but only some ok lay downs... some obvious, some not so obvious...

Anyway, he is donk move number one. There was one hand where I had raised pre, got callers, including a work colleague. Flop was something like T high, work colleague just donks and I muck my 89 or some creative hand. She shows AQ and I just scratch my head...

So the hand in question... I have A2s and limp along over maybe 3 people starting the hand with like, 120ish. Folds to her in the BB and she raises with 10, which given there is now 18 in the pot, one calls and they all call except one. Pot now 68ish. Flop 36T with one of my suit. She donks only 20 which gets all to fold except me with one person behind me... I think about the fact that she usually shuts down on the turn, and that I given she raised pre, cant have that many tens in her range, and she usually raises more with QQ+ because she subscribes to the bigger hand, bigger raise theory... So being the mouthbreathing donkey I am I call with the intention to take it away on the turn, or preferably make a backdoor straight flush and win it all.... However, we get a caller from the guy behind me who was IMO making it look like he would fold, which confuses things somewhat...

Anyway, I get azzhole carded on the turn I think, with the Ace of spades. She donks 50 into what is now about 110ish. I tank, I now have a pair, however, would she donk the flop with overs, if she does, most likely now she has a pair of aces, and I cant chop, so I have 3 outs. I have someone behind me who could do anything. If she has a 10 and is still betting, its AT or TT and I am toast anyway.... Only way I win if she is "bluffing" me with a T. So I do what all degens do, I grab the lucky $1 chip from the other night out of my pocket, and flip it ldo. Its says call, so I move all-in for an underraise. Other guy folds, she sighs and calls, and her JT binks on the river vs the A2 of doom... Various groans are mate, and my image of being an absolute peanut is confirmed, which is great, because I want that... so I am back in the black for the night...

I lose some more pots, again, I cant hit a board to save myself. I get TT and raise the blind straddle next in to 20, a mate shoves for 25, a call, straddle folds and I have to call. Flop makes me cry K63, because I cant establish a side pot with the best hand, and the shover is smiling, which sucks... I bet, other folds and K5 wins....

I then get Q5o in the BB and check it. Flop 9TJ and I think for a bit before checking. Super Villian (SV) is currently in for about 150 and on around 70 at the start of this hand. He donks 20 into about 15 and it folds to me. He is super not because of his skills, but because his story in the next hour is rather epic, and while I dont think he played SUPER well, its was certainly interesting... Anyway he donks, back to me and I decide to ship it all in, but I do so with 5 25 chips, to look strong and aggressive. I had seen this guy back down to aggression earlier in the night. My mate asked for his stack size (11) before setting down exactly that amount on a JJ77 board and getting him to fold KQ into a 40 pot, before showing 23s. So he tanks, announces "**** it" and calls with K8 for the lower OESD. For the first time in a while, my opponent fails to make a pair on the turn and river, and king high ships $150ish...

Super villian doubles up again somewhere, and is now biggest stack at the table until this happens...

Im back below square, and after being card dead for a while, me and mate decide last orbit. Nothing intersting happens, and I am now UTG. I have XX, and break the cardinal sin of "play the last hand like every other" and limp UTG. Friend limps UTG+1, I think 6 limpers and the BB adds 15, which maybe all call. So we are 6 ways for around a 100ish pot already.

567r

All hell breaks loose. BB shoves for around 150, and has the entire table covered still in the hand. Im next and tank, before making a badish call AI for about 115... My friend tanks for a very long time, before saying something like, "ahead, but fading 2/3 the deck" and folds. Next in shoves for around 100, folds to the button who shoves for about 50 for value, which is probably fair enough... Drumroll for the various assortment of hands please.....

BB: ATo (13.7%)
ASH: J8o (7.69%, 22.54% tie)
FRIEND FOLDED: 99 (24.43%)
OTHER FRIEND: 78s (8.64% win, 24.43 tie) NOTE: Cant remember whether or not he had a backdoor flush oppurtunity. Suits are irrelevant for everyone else. If he did have the BDFD, then he gets another 4% or so in equity...
BUTTON: 63hh with the BDFD: (22.27%).

These numbers are with my friend making the call, so when we get rid of my friend that folded...

BB: 13.54%
ASH: 8.29% win, 31.34% tie
OF: 26.10% win, 31.34% tie
BUT: 20.73%

Also the BB and Button have miniscule tie outs with running 84. Also, this calculation dosent include the dead 9's my mate folded, which means that our tie equity is a little high...

Anyway, the turn BOOM!!1!!!!!11111!1!11! Jack of hearts. River is a king, and I ship a $480ish pot getting it in at 8% to win... EZ game IMO...

That was going to be the last hand, but being the good person I am, decide to play another lap because I dont want to "hit and run" Soon I get JJ in the CO and make it 18 after a limper, and one of the blinds and the limper, who is SV, calls...

Flop is the dreaded 568r. About as bad as an 8 high flop gets... Blind checks, SV bets 40 into me and I tank, before adding 100. Blind makes expert check all in for 47ish, and the SV thinks for a while before calling. I pray I dont get checked too is a bad card comes, which is more or less anything above a 3... The turn eases my fears by being a nine, and he ships on me, which is great because I am drawing dead like always... I snap fold faceup and am drawing dead vs T7o, who fistpumps like he has the WSOP... He wins this hand, cashes out next hand for something like 600-700 amassed in about 1 hr and yeah, I cry a little inside. I mean really. That last pot was I think about 200 in the main, and at least 180 in the side... I cry...

Overall, my heroic move to stay for another lap costs me just shy of $200, and overall, I make a $90 win, but I played real bad, couldnt hit a board to save myself, got one luck card, and made a win...

You would think I just played a HU SNG or something... :(

Got absolutely pwned a week ago for 4 buy ins in probably the worst night of poker ever for me as far as luck goes

2nd hand in I get A10h, popped up to 15 and 3 runners so I call, flop is 765h board. I raise for 35, someone shoves and I call, they have 98h for the straight flush. First time ive ever seen that happen before

Half an hour later I get AA on the big blind, all the table in the pot, i bump it up to 25 with 5 callers. Im doing happy dance inside, flop is 6 4 Q with 2 clubs. Checks to me and I bet 60, everyone folds but one guy all ins. I gotta call at this stage. He turns over 4 2 (25 with that) both clubs. Rivered the flush. Should of went home but noooooooooo.

Get JJ behind the big blind, make a raise to 15 with only one caller. Flop is 10 10 10. Put him on AK type hand cos he was considering re raising and we are both short stacked at this point. He shoves into me and I call. Hes got 10 8 of spades. Blah

Last hand of the night, I have KJ of spades but just call out of position, alot of action infront of me that results in 2 all ins. One of the guys donked a all in with 55 in the previous hour so put him on a similar hand and the other guy was drunk as a fart so I called, they had 1010 and 88, but once again didnt hit anything and left with a huge hole in my wallet. The play is damn weak at these things but my luck here is non existant

LOL pub poker last night.

I was going to go down and play the rebuy tournament at Burswood, but decided to play at the Impact Bar in the city instead to hang out with some friends. Good idea that turned out to be...

Early on I win some smallish pots and things are going ok. Then I lose some pots. For example, I get 99 in the SB. 4 limpers playing 2/3 and I raise 20 on top. Someone calls 20 with about 14 left behind. The flop is AJx and I lose to A4o. Again, I get AK and someone calls all-in pre with A7 and we end up chopping. I get AK vs 75 all in pre and a 5 in the door. However, the board ended up 58T 8 T and I won that pot, but it was only worth $21. Then the LOL'est hand I may have ever played...

I get 35o OTB and raise over two very weak players. One of the blinds call, the limpers call...

34J all diamonds, and I have the 5d. Checks to the limper who shoves for not quite pot. I think about it, the blind dosent look that keen and I have decent equity against most hands, so I decide to call. Then the blind announces "I call you all-in." which is ldo a call... Now I am in deep s**t, and am actually praying I dont improve because otherwise Im going to get stacked. Turn is of course another 3...:rolleyes: He shoves, I cry call... He has the flopped second nuts and I miss 10 outs...

I reload, and this kind of s**t just keeps on happening. I think the one that actually made me cry is when I had AA and there was a raise to 15 and I think 3 calls. I make it 50 on top and everyone folds, but If I had A4 there and was squeezing they would find calls with A8o ldo...

I get aces again (funny, s**t night and I had aces three times...) I limp UTG, for the first time in a LLLLOOOOONNNNGGG time... The table was pretty aggressive and yeah, the table limps and sees a flop of T63r. I bet 20 into 21 and get three calls. Turn is a 2h putting the heart draw out. I bet 80 and get one call... River is another blank, I think a 7 and I jam for 70 effective... He calls with T9hh and shhhhiiiiipppp it....

That was as good as it got. Someone called my turn 3/4 pot bet with the naked one card nut FD and got their on the river, and I couldnt fold top pair, third nut flush... for the pissy amount he had back. Any time I raised pre with big suited connectors such as QJs the flop was always Axx and likewise, apart from having KK win vs K6 on a K86 board, I couldnt really flop any cooler hands...

Heck, I flopped a set of 2's in a big raised pre pot on a 24J board, check the flop in EP, turn was a 6 and I bet and four people folded. Actually thought about checking it twice but meh, I suck...

Overall, the night kind of sucked and I have already forgotten the other beats that I copped which is kind of good/bad... meh overall...

The Victorian APL State Championships are on Saturday at the Furlan Club in Thornbury.

Is anybody else competing?

I haven't been in the state champs before but I'd be lying if I didn't say my aim was to make the final table and qualify for the Wild Turkey Classic in March. I've been following the Aussie Millions blogs on Pokernews and would love to play in a big tournament at Crown.

I think they usually get 300-400 competitors so I'm not too optimistic but I'll just try and be patient in the early levels.

The Victorian APL State Championships are on Saturday at the Furlan Club in Thornbury.

Is anybody else competing?

I haven't been in the state champs before but I'd be lying if I didn't say my aim was to make the final table and qualify for the Wild Turkey Classic in March. I've been following the Aussie Millions blogs on Pokernews and would love to play in a big tournament at Crown.

I think they usually get 300-400 competitors so I'm not too optimistic but I'll just try and be patient in the early levels.

Structure of the state finals makes it very difficult for play to be the leading factor in someone winning/doing well in the state finals. Just not enough blinds by just a few rounds into the tournament.

Structure of the state finals makes it very difficult for play to be the leading factor in someone winning/doing well in the state finals. Just not enough blinds by just a few rounds into the tournament.

It's true.

I went out in 41st place which I was disappointed about because I got the remainder of my 21,000 chips into the pot (blinds were still 3000/6000 I think) with A:club:K:club: and was up against A:spade:J:diamond: and the short stack with K:diamond:8:diamond: .

The flop was all diamonds and then the turn was also a diamond which was the end for me. If I'd won, I would have been up to around 70k and with the size of the blinds and the speed of the eliminations (especially as the top 58 bubble for a Vic Pro open spot had recently burst as well) I might have been half a show.

I shouldn't complain though. I was short stacked pretty early after picking up Q7 on the BB and hitting a set of Q's on the flop only to run into AQ.

Then I had a bit of luck. Shoved my final 800 in after the flop (blinds were 200/400) with middle pair and hit runner runner straight to beat my opponent with top pair. From there on I didn't really play a lot of hands because the blinds got that big that it was pretty much all ins. AK and AQ both held up.

As for the Vic Pro Open yesterday, I went out quite early. I thought the standard yesterday was worse than the previous day. Maybe that was just the tables I was on but in a smaller field of 180 players and 5 Wild Turkey Classic spots available I was expecting better.

Played at the Grovedale Hotel in Geelong the other day (I think it was APL, it had 888.com backing). I'd played 1/2 and 2/3 cashgames reguarly at Crown before, and the $65 turbo toruneys they have also. I like to think I can hold my own at the tables. I knew the standard was going to be quite bad, but what I didn't count on is how completely messed up the entire structure of the tournament was. You would be lucky to get 4 hands in before a level up. At one stage my mate had BY FAR the biggest stack on his table, and had less than 7 big blinds. This was when there were still about 25-30 players left. Whats even funnier is that peole were limping for over 30% of their stack, and folding to any raise. I guess THATS the only good thing I can say about it :D
Will save my time next time and play Keno

I'm on the worst run of my life at pub poker. I keep finding new and exciting ways to get ****ed over.

Played in a $1000 freeroll today...

Me: 2600 in chips; Opponent: 5000 in chips; Blinds 100/200

Opponent raises minimum from middle position. I call, holding Jd 10c. One other caller.

Flop: Jh 2c 3h

Opponent bets 800. I think for a minute and push all in for 2200. Other player folds, he snap calls. I think I'm in trouble, he turns over 8h 8c. I'm dominating him (lol).

Turn: 4h

River Ah

Two runners to make a flush. And so my luck continues. Also, I lol'd at his snap call considering I'd played four hands for the day and laid down AQ preflop to a large raise (raiser showed AK).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played at the Grovedale Hotel in Geelong the other day (I think it was APL, it had 888.com backing).

If it had 888.com backing it would be the 888PL (formerly known as the NPL).

I've about had enough as well to be honest.

I might look at playing some tournaments at Crown and see how I go there.

Played some 2/3 cash last night. Was a night for preflop poker, cant really remember a lot of hands but a line check...

I limp A2dd relatively early position over a limper on what has been a relatively passive table. Someone raises to 10 with about 100 behind from the SB. Actually folds to me and I call hoping to flop the nuts... Flop A5T with a diamond. I call 15. Turn is the 4d. Bet of 20 leaving 61 behind. I decide that I fold nothing out that I beat if I shove, and get called by nothing that I beat. Im getting around 3.5:1 looking to shove all improvement cards including 2's, maybe not an ace. River is the 9d, SB checks, I jam, I shove, he fistpump shows AQo before having a good look...

As well as that..

QQ > AJ on a JQx A J, where the AJ celebrated the river...
AQ< KJ after KJ raises 15 pre, two calls, and I squeeze against the first caller who I put as pretty strong, but Im unfazed about the initial raiser. KJ calls and wins...
QQ < KJ again except I opened UTG and the button shoved for not much. I call and lose on a KKx flop....

A couple other ones, the funniest one being someone shoving for 7 pre UTG. A plethora of callers and I call with 9T. Flop 267... Someone bets around half pot. I call with what I assume vs this dude is 10 outs... Turn was a repeat 7, its one of the cards I probably fold vs a bet... He checks, and I check. I river an 8, he bets 10, I raise to 70 which was probably a bit much, because I thought maybe this guy does have a 7 and was making expert slowplay. He folds, I show the goods to have to win the sidepot... He announces that he had me beat on the flop... Which is lol because I have ten high, and he is betting into a dry sidepot... so he should be beating ten high...

Overall a small win, but my two biggest pots pre were the ones I lost at 60% and 70% respectively, and the one's I sucked out (A5 vs AK and AJ vs KK) were small...

I played tonight live 2/3

Overall a good night. I win a pot early with a hand I cant remember off the top of my head to get up a bit. I get JJ and raise to 18 after two limpers. Someone calls the 15 more leaving 15 in their stack. Flop Q86 or something all hearts and I dont have the Jh, a fold, I call and Q4 s00ted takes the bacon...

A couple hands later a second cash table opens up, and the two best players aside from me decide to go on that table, leaving me as pretty much the only player who isnt a complete spud. I get KK first hand after they leave, and after thinking how easy this would be, getting kings helps... There is a raise to 13, I repop to 48 total from the button. Someone calls the 48 cold pretty deep and the initial raiser folds, which was curious... Flop QJ2. The blind just jams for 210 or so. I tank call covering with the pot around 120 at that point. He has AQ and I ship it for the pretty much double up...

Its stays pretty casual for a while, Im playing Worms on mobile and shooting the breeze, then a pretty average player rocks up, and I begin to salivate. He chips up through me with I think AQ vs AJ on a A board and remains a thorn on my side... I swear revenge and dont get it. Hands with him include but arent related to

- I get AA on the button and raise to limpers. He calls from the BB and everyone else folds. He checks the T63 flop or so and I bet 20 into about 40. He mentions a sentence that I couldnt really here except for the word "raise" where I may have had a semi... He then flings away his cards, and Im not exactly sure what he said, but I make no more money...

- 8Ts from the blinds and I either complete or check, not sure which. I flop the second nuts with 9JQ. I bet pot into 6 people or so, and he calls, and everyone else folds... Turn is the soulcrushing ten. I bet 20, and he shoves, I cry fold... He turns over K2dd for the wafflecrush...

Other then that, I cant think of a heap of hands, because I was playing maybe 1 hand out of 10 outsied of the blinds, and still getting paid anyway... Profit for the night was not quite $400, which was nice, but still, Half stack in with Q4s pre FFS... Some "good" players hate when a hand like AJ makes a reasonable call vs a wide range which is actually AK and the AJ sucks out, but my one today isnt that bad, afterall, he had the best hand when the money went in...:rolleyes:

Its actually one of the things that make these high raked games so good. People who are terrible dont know they are terrible, and as such attract the attention of some "sharks". These sharks actually have some pretty horrific errors in their game, such as bet sizing, betting in relation to stack, betting in relation to pot, ranges, among other things, including some REALLY obv stuff such as making your open raise pre a standard size for each situation i.e opening in EP, opening in LP, over two limpers, over 6 limpers etc.... However, their play is still superior to the fish, so they dont bother to improve because they assume they will win because of a slight edge in post flop skill vs these fish... As such, these games IMO will still be ok for the near future because anyone who can beat these games will usually move up and onward to a level such as 5/5 at Burswood or online, compared to me who is currently beating the game relatively well, but has no desire to improve enough to succeed at a higher level, and as such am happy being a relative shark compared to the fish at this level, rather then moving up to 5/5 and starting again as a fish...

I played pub poker a little while ago and for the last time too. Here are just some details about the unprofessionalism

1. Allowing players to re-enter the pot after mucking there hand not realising they were the big blind. Dealer touched cards and brought them into him and had to search for his cards ffs
2. Two guys looking at each others hands ie. literally holding the cards then whispering to each other what they have
3. Raising a pot to 25. When they are the only 2 people in the pot with 200 behind them they both turn there cards over and check them down before the flop. After the hand the winner gave the other bloke his 25 back and kept the 3 blinds.
4. Min raising under the real min raise limit despite my protests, the dealeer said otherwise.
5. Someone pulling chips out of there pocket then re raising me all-in

I would of left if it wasnt so funny. I was just hanging around to see how many rules could be broken in the end. Anyone know where I can put a complaint in. Looking at you ashley12. This was at a WAPL event btw at the Woodvale Tav.

I played pub poker a little while ago and for the last time too. Here are just some details about the unprofessionalism

1. Allowing players to re-enter the pot after mucking there hand not realising they were the big blind. Dealer touched cards and brought them into him and had to search for his cards ffs
2. Two guys looking at each others hands ie. literally holding the cards then whispering to each other what they have
3. Raising a pot to 25. When they are the only 2 people in the pot with 200 behind them they both turn there cards over and check them down before the flop. After the hand the winner gave the other bloke his 25 back and kept the 3 blinds.
4. Min raising under the real min raise limit despite my protests, the dealeer said otherwise.

I would of left if it wasnt so funny. I was just hanging around to see how many rules could be broken in the end. Anyone know where I can put a complaint in. Looking at you ashley12. This was at a WAPL event btw at the Woodvale Tav.

Did you speak to the TD? If not do this or email the league directly about this.

I work for APL, not WAPL. But my assumption would be that you would need to talk to the staff, if you cant get the desired result from the staff, either at the event or through email, phone etc..., then you need to either live with it or not give them your business IMO...

I dont know any of the WAPL staff that well, so I wouldnt know who you would need to talk too...

Did you speak to the TD? If not do this or email the league directly about this.

Someone did speak up. They were kicked out of the pub. I wasnt really gonna speak up by myself in a rather threatening environment. Considering its supposed to be government regulated surely theyd keep watch over all of this. I know if this was done in the casino the dealer would be fined 10k and have his license stripped of him. If its in a pub its fair game it seems

I've been playing Hold 'Em for three months and absolutely love it. Play APL four times a week at three venues in south-east Melb. Have come second a few times and last weekend won my first tournament. Highly recommend it as a night out, especially mid week when there's nothing to do.
Costs nothing, just your drinks
Prizes are pretty much for the glory, or a meal voucher, although you go into regionals and from there, God knows, I'm new at this. But I play in my first regional on 23 May.
Love it :thumbsu:

Went to a different WAPL event which has a different TD. I cant believe how unprofessional it is and just how much better the APL is (who actually have government turn up at times from what I heard). For example

1. Someone goes all in. Someone else folds and announces I had pocket pair, another guy said 9s, other guy stays silent and so the guy in the pot folds. Other guy who mentioned pocket pairs says good laydown. No one said anything so I quickly cashed out and just watched

2. Three friends sitting right next to each other in a row. Laughing joking, talking about there hands constantly

3. Old guy throws his cards in face up three times in 10 minutes.

4. Dealer misplaced the dealer button/blinds 3 times in 15 minutes leading to someone posting blinds 3 hands in a row.

Its so bad its funny but the scary thing is they are taking 5% commission for this so called service :eek:

Anyway, quick plug....

The West Australian version of the APL State Finals is on this weekend. Its on Sunday at Curtin Stadium, which is a building on the West side of the Curtin University complex. Its a 10am registration for a 12pm start. Its $10 to play, and there is no prequalification required because of the different state legislation in WA compared to the East Coast. As mentioned, $10 to enter and lots of cash and prizes to be won.

First 10 people to talk to the Ashley guy in the uniform with the namebadge "Ashley J W" receive a complimentary high five...

best pub poker league in melbourne....

apl
888pl
pub poker
nppl
wpt

which one is the best to play.......

i personally thing apl is the best by a country mile

Re: best pub poker league in melbourne....

I play the occasional APL Tournament, and I run into a lot of donkeys.

I play the majority of 888pl Tournaments, the people are good (Players, Hosts and Venues), still get the occasion donkey/s at one particular venue, but for some that is their style

but then again, who hasn't made a donkey call and WON

Remove this Banner Ad

Back