UK The Queen

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread is actively moderated, let's behave like adults, shall we?

For conversation on an Australian Republic:

Last edited:
They think they want to do it.
I have no doubt people want to be there and pay their respects.

But there are plenty of ways to have done so over the past week and indeed tomorrow. Standing in a queue for over half a day, and in many cases up towards a full day... In some pretty nippy nighttime weather... Just to stare and do an awkward little bow towards a coffin... That's pretty weird behaviour.

I have no doubt people want to be there and pay their respects.

But there are plenty of ways to have done so over the past week and indeed tomorrow. Standing in a queue for over half a day, and in many cases up towards a full day... In some pretty nippy nighttime weather... Just to stare and do an awkward little bow towards a coffin... That's pretty weird behaviour.
Positively North Korean.

It has the meaning that people give it, including people like him that took himself off to meet the Queen. There's no great revelation there is there?

The monarchy didn't just fall from space, it's a continuation of how society has been organised over millennia. Communities have always had their structures and their mythology and their leaders, and it will go on. Cultures live and cultures adapt and cultures die and something will take it's place and life will go on.

I don't see much change, even if the monarchy goes we will never run out of people to elevate above ourselves in this country. Politicians, sports stars, artists, celebrity. All worthless without the people to give it worth. If the monarchy goes and something takes its place, it will be meaningless until people give it meaning.

It has the meaning that people give it, including people like him that took himself off to meet the Queen. There's no great revelation there is there?

The monarchy didn't just fall from space, it's a continuation of how society has been organised over millennia. Communities have always had their structures and their mythology and their leaders, and it will go on. Cultures live and cultures adapt and cultures die and something will take it's place and life will go on.

I don't see much change, even if the monarchy goes we will never run out of people to elevate above ourselves in this country. Politicians, sports stars, artists, celebrity. All worthless without the people to give it worth. If the monarchy goes and something takes its place, it will be meaningless until people give it meaning.
Sure, don't disagree; plenty could say that a lot of footy barrackers are no different.

But for me the takeaway was the disconnect between the UK and here; the suggestion that a lot of people here aren't nearly as interested in the whole saga as the official organs would have us believe - and yet all the powers that be looking very dimly on anyone here toeing anything other than the official line and gnashing their teeth and renting their garments over the passing of our beloved queen.

The ABC has been just beyond belief. Unlistenable (there is one theory that it has been a pre-emptive tactic, to head off the expected howls of "unpatriotic!" from the Murdoch press. If so, I think it's very sad we've gotten to such a state in Australia that the public broadcaster would feel it has to spend so much money and human resources on simply preventing an assault on its integrity by a private media company.) I will be watching with interest when some of the ratings come out. I suspect in a few months' time this saga will all feel very distant and strange.

Billions of people go to church or mosques every week to pray to a fairy in the sky, doesn't really bother me.

Same as this, if it gives people hope in this otherwise shitty world - why do you care if it's not harming you?
Maybe because someone expressing an opinion on changes to how real power and wealth is distributed to make this place a less 'shitty world' makes a heck of a lot more sense than praying to a 'fairy in the sky' or pledging allegiance to the 'protector of the faith' because it's the done thing?

Billions of people go to church or mosques every week to pray to a fairy in the sky, doesn't really bother me.

Same as this, if it gives people hope in this otherwise shitty world - why do you care if it's not harming you?
Yeah, the culture mockery is getting pretty cringe. Just because something doesn't fall under the umbrella of racism or one of the other -isms doesn't mean you're not a jerk for opening your mouth about something you don't need to open your mouth about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe because someone expressing an opinion on changes to how real power and wealth is distributed to make this place a less 'shitty world' makes a heck of a lot more sense than praying to a 'fairy in the sky' or pledging allegiance to the 'protector of the faith' because it's the done thing?

If your going for low hanging fruit with regards to redistributed wealth, at least start with people like Bezos and Musk.

Yeah, the culture mockery is getting pretty cringe. Just because something doesn't fall under the umbrella of racism or one of the other -isms doesn't mean you're not a jerk for opening your mouth about something you don't need to open your mouth about.
The entire British comedic culture is built on mockery, both of self and external.

If your going for low hanging fruit with regards to redistributed wealth, at least start with people like Bezos and Musk.

The British Royal Family is 'low hanging fruit'?

A billionaire fiefdom established over centuries of domination and theft? Creating its own religious denomination to suit the whims of its philandering murderous forebears?

Could you tug that forelock any harder, loyal humble servant?

Last edited:
I can’t believe anyone worships someone in power who did nothing more than be born into the right family.

Laughable in 2022

Yet there are people who worship politicians 🤷‍♂️

There are probably plenty of people who can’t understand Australians who worship a bloke because he can spin a cricket ball…

I can’t believe anyone worships someone in power who did nothing more than be born into the right family.

Laughable in 2022
True but not sure they really in power. They are almost prisoner to what they born into. It is life of obligation and probably told, what to say, how to say it etc etc. It would be mundanely boring. Anyone with real power would kill of all these obligations and make it more fun and interesting for themselves.

Almost all of the heavy hitters have arrived at the ceremony now. Just the Minogues to come.

Laughable in 2022

And yet there are people who worship Trump like a demigod and celebrities?

This makes more sense to me tbh, at least she was an actual Queen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back