Mega Thread The Questions Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What should I do?

I have received an indication from Hr today that my fixed term contract, which expires at the end of November, will not be renewed. I know because I have not received a performance review form when a staff email went around saying they would be sent by last Wednesday. When I asked HR they said I wouldn’t be having one as I have a fixed term contract.

I have also asked for more work and been ignored. I’m the lost junior in my team so makes sense I would have a lack of work.

Should i ask to meet with my supervisor To discuss an early exit on good terms? I don’t want to hang around until the end of November with nothing to do and it being awkward. It’s been a good gig but Covid and a permanent member coming back from maternity leave has has hit hard and obviously Not enough work for me to do. Advice welcome.
I don't want to be negative about this situation, but you may need to look into this:

What should I do?

I have received an indication from Hr today that my fixed term contract, which expires at the end of November, will not be renewed. I know because I have not received a performance review form when a staff email went around saying they would be sent by last Wednesday. When I asked HR they said I wouldn’t be having one as I have a fixed term contract.

I have also asked for more work and been ignored. I’m the lost junior in my team so makes sense I would have a lack of work.

Should i ask to meet with my supervisor To discuss an early exit on good terms? I don’t want to hang around until the end of November with nothing to do and it being awkward. It’s been a good gig but Covid and a permanent member coming back from maternity leave has has hit hard and obviously Not enough work for me to do. Advice welcome.
Its easier to find a job when you have a job,
Can you use your spare time to look while getting paid ?

Its easier to find a job when you have a job,
Can you use your spare time to look while getting paid ?

Ideally I would but I am working as. Lawyer and have to bill time in 6 minute units. I have to be able to put something down at the end of the day.

My boss is a good person I think I’ll be honest and open with him and act as he suggests. I simply don’t think there’s enough work.

Last edited:

Has anybody been to Southern Cross Station recently? Are all the shops within the station open at present?

Ideally I would but I am working as. Lawyer and have to bill time in 6 minute units. I have to be able to put something down at the end of the day.

My boss is a good person I think I’ll be honest and open with him and act as he suggests. I simply don’t think there’s enough work.

What level lawyer? I'm assuming junior. What area are you in?

I've been in your situation as a lawyer before having very little work and it does suck. It's a hell of a lot worse than having too much work because you feel ******* useless.

I would definitely not arrange an early exit. I think that's the worst thing you can do.

Best thing you can do is simply keep putting yourself out there, offering to do whatever you can, even if it isn't billable. There's many things you can do that aren't billable that is useful for the firm. Work on precedents - no matter how big or small the firm their precedents can always be improved - ask your boss which ones need work. Even if it a capability statement/work scope letter style precedent. Try your hand at some BD - think of some ideas that can you might be able to pitch to certain clients. Presentations, fixed fee packages, complementary agreements. Work on newsletter articles off your own bat. Create a spreadsheet/table that gives information on a regulatory regime relevant to your area. E.g. - I'm in corp advisory and once had no work (I'd quit so they stopped giving it to me) so created a table that contained how directors can be exposed to personal liability in each Aus jurisdiction. Took me bloody ages, like 3 straight days of work, but once it was done it was a really useful guide they could show to clients forever and a day. Etc etc.

There's heaps - just communicate with your boss. If your boss is a good bloke like you suggest - he will be accommodating. It seems daunting at first but I can tell you this - if you stride in to your bosses office and say you don't have much to do but want to help out however you can - he will respect you for it.

There's a few reasons for doing this.
a) you haven't definitely got confirmation you won't be renewed. It looks unlikely but you don't throw it in until you get absolute 100% confirmation. If you can show you have a great attitude, they might change their mind.
b) I firmly believe that in your career you want to carry yourself in a certain way, no matter what the situation is. How you carry yourself is entirely up to you, but for me throwing in the towel early and not speaking up is not the way to carry yourself. Being positive and resilient, and communicative is.
c) Even if you do none of the above, getting paid to do nothing is a bonus. The awkwardness will end come November. As someone said above, you need to use the time to tee up another job and you're in a much worse position if you quit straightaway.

Hang in there mate. One final piece of advice - and this is the most important. Don't worry about your timesheet. It can hang over your head like a noose sometimes but at the end of the day who gives a s**t, it's just a number, the firm would know they aren't profiting off you anyway. It's their issue not yours.

What level lawyer? I'm assuming junior. What area are you in?

I've been in your situation as a lawyer before having very little work and it does suck. It's a hell of a lot worse than having too much work because you feel ******* useless.

I would definitely not arrange an early exit. I think that's the worst thing you can do.

Best thing you can do is simply keep putting yourself out there, offering to do whatever you can, even if it isn't billable. There's many things you can do that aren't billable that is useful for the firm. Work on precedents - no matter how big or small the firm their precedents can always be improved - ask your boss which ones need work. Even if it a capability statement/work scope letter style precedent. Try your hand at some BD - think of some ideas that can you might be able to pitch to certain clients. Presentations, fixed fee packages, complementary agreements. Work on newsletter articles off your own bat. Create a spreadsheet/table that gives information on a regulatory regime relevant to your area. E.g. - I'm in corp advisory and once had no work (I'd quit so they stopped giving it to me) so created a table that contained how directors can be exposed to personal liability in each Aus jurisdiction. Took me bloody ages, like 3 straight days of work, but once it was done it was a really useful guide they could show to clients forever and a day. Etc etc.

There's heaps - just communicate with your boss. If your boss is a good bloke like you suggest - he will be accommodating. It seems daunting at first but I can tell you this - if you stride in to your bosses office and say you don't have much to do but want to help out however you can - he will respect you for it.

There's a few reasons for doing this.
a) you haven't definitely got confirmation you won't be renewed. It looks unlikely but you don't throw it in until you get absolute 100% confirmation. If you can show you have a great attitude, they might change their mind.
b) I firmly believe that in your career you want to carry yourself in a certain way, no matter what the situation is. How you carry yourself is entirely up to you, but for me throwing in the towel early and not speaking up is not the way to carry yourself. Being positive and resilient, and communicative is.
c) Even if you do none of the above, getting paid to do nothing is a bonus. The awkwardness will end come November. As someone said above, you need to use the time to tee up another job and you're in a much worse position if you quit straightaway.

Hang in there mate. One final piece of advice - and this is the most important. Don't worry about your timesheet. It can hang over your head like a noose sometimes but at the end of the day who gives a sh*t, it's just a number, the firm would know they aren't profiting off you anyway. It's their issue not yours.

Firstly thanks a lot for the comprehensive post. Means a lot after a shot couple of days.

I’m a junior in a workplace injury team. I spoke to my boss Tuesday and he confirmed my impression that I won’t be renewed. He said look after myself first and stay until the end of my contract and that he’s more than happy to provide any reference required. Was very amicable but simply not enough work to justify keeping me on now that the other lawyer has returned from maternity leave

I’m going to use the next 6 weeks to apply for jobs and stay the course of my contract. As you say it would be silly not to, I was just highly scattered when I made that post and sick of the feeling you refer to (been around bff or about a month now).

Thanks again for your post.

Firstly thanks a lot for the comprehensive post. Means a lot after a shot couple of days.

I’m a junior in a workplace injury team. I spoke to my boss Tuesday and he confirmed my impression that I won’t be renewed. He said look after myself first and stay until the end of my contract and that he’s more than happy to provide any reference required. Was very amicable but simply not enough work to justify keeping me on now that the other lawyer has returned from maternity leave

I’m going to use the next 6 weeks to apply for jobs and stay the course of my contract. As you say it would be silly not to, I was just highly scattered when I made that post and sick of the feeling you refer to (been around bff or about a month now).

No worries mate and sorry to hear re your convo with your boss but glad you’re sticking it out. Good stuff.

It will get better for you I guarantee - if you do the hard yards and be patient your time will come. Just over a year ago I had some pretty dark days in a job I absolutely hated with a bully for a boss and getting little to no work. Thought I was trapped. Fast forward now, I’m at a bigger firm with supportive bosses and absolutely love what I do.

Good luck with the job search.

Just been speculating on internet prices for a new place, does anyone just use their phones data as a hotspot entirely???

I mean the packages are so big now (50GB+ a month) that it would be sufficient, just if its fast enough.

Just been speculating on internet prices for a new place, does anyone just use their phones data as a hotspot entirely???

I mean the packages are so big now (50GB+ a month) that it would be sufficient, just if its fast enough.
It would be stupid to hotspot off a phone if you're going to be streaming, browsing etc at the same time.

It works, its fast enough, the biggest concern I would have is hotspot makes the phone extremely hot. I am not sure if extended use would cause any damage to the phone. I wouldn't recommend it personally.

What would happen under the law if I was issued a ticket on the spot (speeding for example) but refused to take the fine slip?

What would happen under the law if I was issued a ticket on the spot (speeding for example) but refused to take the fine slip?
According to an episode of Highway Patrol I watched it doesn't matter if you take it or not. The fine has been issued and you will still need to pay it. I assume that you will just get an overdue notice in the mail seeing as you don't have the original slip.

Job is in workplace injury? Bro, easy fix. Grab a few mates and off we go.
u8w1GDninA1esFfmN8ZEP1UjE1bum4Ssoq9BKgCQbRDrwOD6hb_YMI7CeohwkZb7ILxCapmRctEAKrwYNi_pcRJbn1ofh7DTxtsNUG-VJH9tcL2JmjQt1KUCO8F1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question for any fans of Supercars here:

I've popped Bathurst 1000 on the telly (because Melbourne, lol). Now I haven't watched Bathurst for a few years, and when I did it was the only Supercars I'd watch for the year usually.

It seems we're back the the field being purely Ford vs Holden, with the Fords being based on the Mustang - which does make a nice looking racecar IMO. Although the field is dominated by cars carrying a Holden badge.

My question is:

Are the still racing cars based upon* the last Commodore or are they something else?

* yeah I know based upon is a stretch, given how much of these cars is bespoke racecar. Not quite NASCAR levels (with the front clip "sticker") but not that different either.

Holdens for 2020 are still based on the Commodore. As of next year it will be Ford vs TBA.

I thought it would end up Mustang vs Camaro as they are both muscle cars and your average V8 Supercar fan won't be interested in Nissans and Opels and yep Google confirms that is what is happening in 2022.

What do you do when you have to vote 1 to 5 and the next worst option is One Nation, Katter or the anti vaxxer ?

What do you do when you have to vote 1 to 5 and the next worst option is One Nation, Katter or the anti vaxxer ?
prob wont matter as none of these options will be in the mix once they do the first count and start the process of removing the candidate with least votes and distribute the preferences on the balliots.

Order by the threat to your candidate, descending
Its trying to decide who is less of a nut ...surprisingly out of those 3 its probably the anti vaxer

Boated

Had the sitting member down there handing out his card, I didnt take it, said didnt want to touch too many things other people had touched because covid.

Then had to socially distance queue up near him for about 5 minutes ...Ive met him a few times he vaguely knows me too

Cancelling foxtel tomorrow and will get kayo when the 2021 season starts.
question - my sony smart tv doesnt have a kayo app (has netflix and stan and iview etc etc).
so what’s best way to watch kayo?
id prefer to use ethernet rather than wifi (i have a router right next to my tv which currently is plugged into my fox box and i can plug into an alternative box of some sort?!?)

Cancelling foxtel tomorrow and will get kayo when the 2021 season starts.
question - my sony smart tv doesnt have a kayo app (has netflix and stan and iview etc etc).
so what’s best way to watch kayo?
id prefer to use ethernet rather than wifi (i have a router right next to my tv which currently is plugged into my fox box and i can plug into an alternative box of some sort?!?)
Does it have Kodi ?

I use a Nvidia Shield and Kodi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back