Mega Thread The Questions Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here ever decided to rent out their home and rent elsewhere?
I reckon i could get $900 a week for my place and rent a bigger place elsewhere for about the same $ however i would only be paying half that as my gf would pay half.
My house isn’t really big enough for us to cohabitate.
A mate moved 1 street across to a place with an extra bedroom for the same money he was getting to rent his out

Anyone here ever decided to rent out their home and rent elsewhere?
I reckon i could get $900 a week for my place and rent a bigger place elsewhere for about the same $ however i would only be paying half that as my gf would pay half.
My house isn’t really big enough for us to cohabitate.
I rented with someone who wouldn't live where I owned and rented my place out.
We lived closer to town and work but we would have been better off financially living in my place. Still I might not have kept my place after we split if we'd done that.

Beware the extra headache if you get lousy tenants or something.

Dunno what the laws are up there, but here they can get whatever pets they like, which i think is complete bullshit, am on landlords side on that one, re pets.
I'm firmly in the * the landlords camp currently.

We had to rent for a year between houses and apart from the rampant greed in the rental market, finding a place the lets you have a small child and a pet or two is really hard.

There are plenty of people who will never be able to buy, in large part because of the investors inflating the prices with encouragement from the banks and government.

You can't really get long term leases in Australia and that constant threat of being told to move is compounded when you can't apply for 90% of the properties available if you want to have a pet.

People should be able to have pets- but the way SOME mistreat the properties and trash them, can you really trust them to have pets in there as well???

And is there a limit?? Or can you like have 10 dogs inside.

Sorry, but landlords should be able to say no pets, unless very strict guidelines/cleaning was adhered to.

I'm firmly in the **** the landlords camp currently.

You can't really get long term leases in Australia and that constant threat of being told to move is.

Yeah that would be beyond annoying, cannot fathom what that must feel like.

I was so lucky with my arrangement with my flatmate- no leases signed at all, just a verbal agreement, i paid the rent on time, everytime and she did not put up the rent once in legit 12 years.

Obviously i would never be getting that same deal if i was renting thru the proper channels, no way in hell.

People should be able to have pets- but the way SOME mistreat the properties and trash them, can you really trust them to have pets in there as well???

And is there a limit?? Or can you like have 10 dogs inside.

Sorry, but landlords should be able to say no pets, unless very strict guidelines/cleaning was adhered to.
you still have to deal with council rules which in most cases is maximum 2 dogs and 2 cats

kids and pets do increase wear and tear on a place

the problem is that if you leave it up to the land lords, then renters become more than just a second class citizen, they get discriminated against in ways that home owners do not.

I'm all for regulations that improve the lot in life for renters, and if it encourages a few shitty investors to get out of the market all the better

John Howard's owning property sets you up for life pitch has done a lot of damage to this country

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sorry, but if you're renting someone else's house, you should abide by their rules.

If they don't allow for pets, then that's bad luck. Find another place that does.

Just like tenants should not have the right to hang pictures on a wall etc. It's not your house, you shouldn't be allowed to treat it like you own it.

Yeah, Dan Andrews has been flogging his new laws on Facebook non-stop.
Thanks for that, wasn't aware of the changes. Mostly minor but reasonable. Shame they don't kick in for another 18 months.

I'd like to see greater rights in terms of termination notice and rolling over leases - two months to move sucks. It would be good to have the right to auto-renew with either no increase or no greater than CPI.

I'm sorry, but if you're renting someone else's house, you should abide by their rules.

If they don't allow for pets, then that's bad luck. Find another place that does.

Just like tenants should not have the right to hang pictures on a wall etc. It's not your house, you shouldn't be allowed to treat it like you own it.
The point is that there are a lot of people that can't own, and quite a few of them can't afford to own because the investors bought all the houses they could afford so that they could rent them out

The bad luck find a place that does is such a privileged comment. Our rental laws are lagging behind the realities of life in Australia.

Overseas people can sign long term leases and as part of that they can do things to the property like hang paintings and have pets because they are leasing the property and it is their for the duration of the lease.

They are paying for a home to live in, why shouldn't they get to live it like it is a home? It's not a hotel

That's a bit elitist. As long as any holes etc are patched up who gives a * if they hang a picture.

That's a bit elitist. As long as any holes etc are patched up who gives a **** if they hang a picture.
Picture thing I guess is fair enough if the hole is repaired.

I have an apartment, and if I rented it out and someone had a dog or cat there is no way I'd be for that.

There is no concern over people trashing a house if you have insurance. Only a fool would not have appropriate insurance for their rental property.

"No concern" you are kidding right- having to go thru insurance (if its gets approved in the first place) then the time taken to repair it, meanwhile you are losing out on rent.

How about people are just not complete utter bastards in the first place and treat things with respect.

oooh what a debate I have started.

my place already has hooks and stuff for pictures so i would specify no new holes in walls as there are more than enough.
I may even rent it out partially furnished (get in a professional and their family who are relocating perhaps) as I probably cbf packing up everything. nothing really I am attached to (so I expect them to be damaged and that's fine) - heavy stuff like couches, tv cabinets, fridge, washer and dishwasher, but not my beds and crockery necessarily. not sure...

I would have appropriate types of insurance.

I have been a landlord before and been pretty lucky I had good tenants who always paid rent on time, and didn't do too much damage, just the usual stuff where taps can break, and a few marks on carpets etc. never really concerned me. but I know that some people can be campaigners (I actually typed that out!)

I guess I would be pretty thorough with background checks and referees etc as rental vacancy rates are so low plus the estate I am in is quite coveted and there are always people, families wanting to rent here. and that's what I would look for as its a 4 bedder 2 bathroom plus study plus two decks plus double carport etc etc and suited to a family with couple of kids - like I was in when I built it. with my own hands I signed those checks to the real builders...

my gf has just today signed a 12 month lease on her own place not far from her old place she was in up until early Dec when she had to move out (she has lived here with me the last 6-8 weeks) - so all going well, in a year's time when her lease is up that would be when I rent my place out and we move into a place suitable for two single parents with kids 9-14 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back