Mega Thread The Questions Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
The site of the original cafe is now a memorial and they made another one relatively nearby IIRC.
That's weird. Is that a recent thing? When I was there there was no trace of the cafe and no memorial and the reason I was given is that nobody wanted to memorialise something so horrid.

May 3, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australian Cricket Team,
That's weird. Is that a recent thing? When I was there there was no trace of the cafe and no memorial and the reason I was given is that nobody wanted to memorialise something so horrid.
I swear there was some sort of plaque at least? Not sure how I could make that up but it's possible I guess.

Went there circa 10 years ago.

I swear there was some sort of plaque at least? Not sure how I could make that up but it's possible I guess.

Went there circa 10 years ago.
I need to check with wifey when we were there. Reckon that's pretty similar timing though.

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
What happened to the underground space at Spencer Street/Southern Cross Station? You used to have to walk through this area when leaving or entering a platform. There were also many shops and stalls there. Is the space used for storage, or is it now an abandoned, hollow area?

What happened to the underground space at Spencer Street/Southern Cross Station? You used to have to walk through this area when leaving or entering a platform. There were also many shops and stalls there. Is the space used for storage, or is it now an abandoned, hollow area?
yeah I used to get off there and come out on the other side of spencer st right next to where I worked instead of having to cross the road, had forgotten all about that

PT Bar None

Banal Chaos
Cake Connoisseur
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
When I was a wee lad, my Father was paid weekly via cheque. Other kids Fathers were also paid weekly, some of them in cash. Some kids Fathers were paid fortnightly - mostly government jobs.

When I started my working life I was paid fortnightly, via EFT. EFT was the new normal, but still new. I didn't really experience the "pay parade" but worked with guys not much older who did. No one seemed to get paid weekly anymore. Pretty much everyone you spoke to was paid fortnightly.

Current day - my last two gigs I'm paid monthly. Seems to be more and more common to me.

The question: Is paying people monthly becoming more common? There's got to be fiscal advantages for businesses to do it. What's next? Quarterly?

I know it all adds up the the same amount over the year, but monthly just feels shittier.

When I was a wee lad, my Father was paid weekly via cheque. Other kids Fathers were also paid weekly, some of them in cash. Some kids Fathers were paid fortnightly - mostly government jobs.

When I started my working life I was paid fortnightly, via EFT. EFT was the new normal, but still new. I didn't really experience the "pay parade" but worked with guys not much older who did. No one seemed to get paid weekly anymore. Pretty much everyone you spoke to was paid fortnightly.

Current day - my last two gigs I'm paid monthly. Seems to be more and more common to me.

The question: Is paying people monthly becoming more common? There's got to be fiscal advantages for businesses to do it. What's next? Quarterly?

I know it all adds up the the same amount over the year, but monthly just feels shittier.

A lot of it has to do with the types of employment that you have. I pay monthly but I have no casual staff. Payroll is a pain in the ass, so doing it as little as possible is a massive benefit for me. Broadly, it doesn't save me anything. I pay super monthly rather than quarterly because it is easier, which costs me money (in the same sense that paying wages weekly "costs me").

Some of the places I've worked previously, monthly salary was for supervisors and up, weekly was for "workers".

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
I get paid fortnightly and like it that way. Monthly would suck.

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Paying your mortgage would be a hassle.
Yeah and you'd probably spend it quicker knowing another pay will be in tomorrow.

I used to get paid monthly and on the day it was good but also a lot of discipline to not have a big weekend the first weekend. Especially when I was 20 when i was on it.

Fortnightly for the last 15 years is perfect i reckon.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back