Mega Thread The Questions Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question 1: When the the use of '___' come into vogue? I was always of the belief that " " were used to emphasise (aside from being speech marks).

Question 2: Now that the '__' is used often and always in lieu especially online, do you still do this to emphasise (below), or reduce your fingers to one on each hand?

quotation-marks-air-quotes.gif

Here's something interesting.

The black north face jacket phenomena. black. everyone seems to have one. puffer jackets are always black. why is that the case?

in my previous industry, we ascertained that for the goods provided, there were only 3 colours needed to range - white, black and grey/silver. are we a boring lot?

Question 1: When the the use of '___' come into vogue? I was always of the belief that " " were used to emphasise (aside from being speech marks).

Question 2: Now that the '__' is used often and always in lieu especially online, do you still do this to emphasise (below), or reduce your fingers to one on each hand?

It's an interesting question, emphasis vs speech.

Back in the day when I learned to 'type' on a typewriter, single quotes were used. 'I use a single quote,' OTP said. 'In fact, according to Berenstein, "Double quotes are only for nested quotations" or something.'

Then when I transitioned to computers and into Usenet, the "convention" was the opposite - "Screw convention," said OTP. "I asked Dermie what he thought about it, he simply responded, 'Piss off.'" Maybe the American-centric online influence?

So I've been using double quotes for over 30 years, it's a bit late to expect me to "change".

Now I'm all confused, will probably google it and find out I've been doing it wrong all along, in which case you can all "GAGF".

It's an interesting question, emphasis vs speech.

Back in the day when I learned to 'type' on a typewriter, single quotes were used. 'I use a single quote,' OTP said. 'In fact, according to Berenstein, "Double quotes are only for nested quotations" or something.'

Then when I transitioned to computers and into Usenet, the "convention" was the opposite - "Screw convention," said OTP. "I asked Dermie what he thought about it, he simply responded, 'Piss off.'" Maybe the American-centric online influence?

So I've been using double quotes for over 30 years, it's a bit late to expect me to "change".

Now I'm all confused, will probably google it and find out I've been doing it wrong all along, in which case you can all "GAGF".
yeah im in the bolded camp. thats how i believe i learnt it.

The black north face jacket phenomena. black. everyone seems to have one. puffer jackets are always black. why is that the case?

in my previous industry, we ascertained that for the goods provided, there were only 3 colours needed to range - white, black and grey/silver. are we a boring lot?
In Melbourne everyone wears black i have a blue one up here

I have a blue one. It's not Northface though. Guy at work has a grey one too.

quotation-marks-air-quotes.gif
for the " symbol, you need to hold shift and the " key
for the ', you dont need to hold shift and just the ' key

slight time saver - same reason i dont use capitals on here

Possibly going to Sydney next week for an expo and there’s a Gala dinner involved, having never been in a position for invites to these things before I am questioning dress code after googling.

Is a Gala a black suit theme for men? I’ve got a suit but it’s a darker blue colour and I really don’t want to buy a new suit for a one off occasion. Google appears to show black suits primarily.
Depends a bit on how seriously the attendees take it. I had a gala dinner 2 weeks ago and just went in a normal dark suit. But plenty did wear tux/bow ties, etc.

Perhaps consider birthday suit as an alternative.

We are experiencing this sudden surge in inflation for two main reasons.

First, for the past few years due to Covid hardly anyone was spending money. Now that the economy is back open, people are spending and traveling and, as such, there is a bottleneck with very high demand. Our system isn’t set up for this high demand level, so that causes inflation in the short term.

Second, with interest rates lowered to almost zero since March of 2020, these low interest rates have spurred demand in housing which is experiencing a large backlog as well as adding to inflation worries.

What you’re seeing is a simultaneous confluence of one-time occurrences that have both exposed economic weaknesses and created a vicious inflationary cycle.

So largely due to a perfect storm of supply chain disruption from Covid, government spending to fill the economic void and a synchronized global recovery driven by vaccine rollout and economies re-opening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are experiencing this sudden surge in inflation for two main reasons.

First, for the past few years due to Covid hardly anyone was spending money. Now that the economy is back open, people are spending and traveling and, as such, there is a bottleneck with very high demand. Our system isn’t set up for this high demand level, so that causes inflation in the short term.

Second, with interest rates lowered to almost zero since March of 2020, these low interest rates have spurred demand in housing which is experiencing a large backlog as well as adding to inflation worries.

What you’re seeing is a simultaneous confluence of one-time occurrences that have both exposed economic weaknesses and created a vicious inflationary cycle.

So largely due to a perfect storm of supply chain disruption from Covid, government spending to fill the economic void and a synchronized global recovery driven by vaccine rollout and economies re-opening.
War in the Ukraine, companies price gouging for record profits, governments letting covid run rampant

Question for those who are married/live with partner.

I am moving in with my Mrs in roughly 6 months and I am considering how we should split bills/expenses in a fair and equitable way. If it makes any difference, she is moving in with me where I rent on reduced rates as the landlord is the old lady (Mum doesn't live there though).

She recently moved into full time work and makes around 70% of what I make. I am also 6 years older so have a fair bit more savings.

We are going to make a separate account from our personal ones which goes towards rent, gas, electricity, groceries, things for home etc etc. Can't fathom how some couples only have one account between them but each to their own I guess.

Would a reasonable split be putting in the same amount into this shared account each week or me putting in more which is in line with how much more I get paid?
For example she puts in 70% of what I put in.
I assume she would probably do a bit more around the house as my work is more time consuming and further away but of course I wouldn't have a problem splitting as much as I could whether it's 50/50 or not.
To add another layer of complexity, she is unable to drive and all car expenses would be coming my way (purchase, insurance, rego, petrol etc).
She gets PT to work as its nearby but whenever we do anything together I act as chauffeur and also drive her to mates/gym and so forth when able to.

What would be a fair split here?

That is a discussion you should be having with her, not us.

Work it out between you.

Money discussion tends to raise niggly little points of difference which tend to be left to later, or ignored, and which cause resentment later on and eventually you find yourselves not raising the subject at all because its just too much bloody hard work. Lay the s**t out on the table early on and both of you get on the same page. Any initial discomfort is dissipated by the relief afterwards that you got it out in the open.

I suggest getting the Barefoot Investor's book and both reading it.

Just my "been there, done that, where DID that $2M go over 15 years" 5c worth.

Question for those who are married/live with partner.

I am moving in with my Mrs in roughly 6 months and I am considering how we should split bills/expenses in a fair and equitable way. If it makes any difference, she is moving in with me where I rent on reduced rates as the landlord is the old lady (Mum doesn't live there though).

She recently moved into full time work and makes around 70% of what I make. I am also 6 years older so have a fair bit more savings.

We are going to make a separate account from our personal ones which goes towards rent, gas, electricity, groceries, things for home etc etc. Can't fathom how some couples only have one account between them but each to their own I guess.

Would a reasonable split be putting in the same amount into this shared account each week or me putting in more which is in line with how much more I get paid?
For example she puts in 70% of what I put in.
I assume she would probably do a bit more around the house as my work is more time consuming and further away but of course I wouldn't have a problem splitting as much as I could whether it's 50/50 or not.
To add another layer of complexity, she is unable to drive and all car expenses would be coming my way (purchase, insurance, rego, petrol etc).
She gets PT to work as its nearby but whenever we do anything together I act as chauffeur and also drive her to mates/gym and so forth when able to.

What would be a fair split here?
Good question.
Take it in turns.
Forget about the %

That is a discussion you should be having with her, not us.

Work it out between you.

Money discussion tends to raise niggly little points of difference which tend to be left to later, or ignored, and which cause resentment later on and eventually you find yourselves not raising the subject at all because its just too much bloody hard work. Lay the s**t out on the table early on and both of you get on the same page. Any initial discomfort is dissipated by the relief afterwards that you got it out in the open.

I suggest getting the Barefoot Investor's book and both reading it.

Just my "been there, done that, where DID that $2M go over 15 years" 5c worth.
Split 50/50 and you handle the car expenses.

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back