The Questions Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A quote and an estimate are two different things. Make sure details in the quote are agreed to by both parties, including material costs, labour, travel costs, incidentals, and anything else that may arise. Try to get them to account for as much as possible.

Quotes in most jurisdictions are binding contracts between an customer and the person he or she employs to undertake work.

If costs have risen, get the tradesperson to detail in length about those costs and what they consisted of. If these were not included in the original quote, ask them why. If it was due to negligence in drawing up the quote on the part of the contractor, you will be able to get out of those costs. If for example, you were getting a tap fixed and your entire wall caved in, and he performed the extra work without your prior consent, and then charged you for the extra work, it's not legally your duty to pay him or her for the extra work.

Details are very important. Quite often the problem with contractors and tradespeople is they are very vague with their quotes. Be very thorough.

This was an actual quote that I had to click my consent on the e-mail before he started. He has done a great job, installing a new kitchen, and so am happy to pay him extra if he's not just ripping me off.

This was an actual quote that I had to click my consent on the e-mail before he started. He has done a great job, installing a new kitchen, and so am happy to pay him extra if he's not just ripping me off.

That's great, and if you're happy to pay extra, then that's cool too.

But if he's ripping you off, then you have a right to challenge that. I probably wouldn't be accusatory, but seek some clarification on the extra costs. If you're satisfied with his clarification, then good. :thumbsu:

If you are happy with the work and want to keep a good rapport with him, maybe try and negotiate to a middle ground figure.

Tax Question. I have simplified/made up numbers to make it less confusing.

Lets say before any deductions I do a calculate my return and it says I owe the ATO $2,000. I go through and add deductions and calculate my return and it says I will get back $1,000.

Does this mean that I would have received $3,000 if I didn't have the debt and it is using $2,000 of my return to pay it off?

Tax Question. I have simplified/made up numbers to make it less confusing.

Lets say before any deductions I do a calculate my return and it says I owe the ATO $2,000. I go through and add deductions and calculate my return and it says I will get back $1,000.

Does this mean that I would have received $3,000 if I didn't have the debt and it is using $2,000 of my return to pay it off?
That is correct

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's Drivate Message, get it right.
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back