Opinion The Race for Pick #1 - It's ours (almost... again....)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

lockheed

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2005
Night Vale
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
I really, realy hope our horizon looks further than say Robert Harvey at Collingwood or David Teague at Carlton.

Robert Harvey has put Sidebottom, De Goey, Adams and Pendlebury when he was fit, back into the midfield. The old stagers have lifted their performance at the cost of development of their kids. Harvey is a coach looking for wins to secure a job at a time where caretakers are getting a genuine look in (Rhyce, Ratten, Teague).

David Teague was green and left out Stocker, Williamson and Dow. He put it all on Cripps back and he now looks a broken player.

The time given to these guys is short and they're forced to take shortcuts to secure their near-term position.

We must refuse the bandaid, we need to take our medicine.

In the workplace you have a choice to meet the impossible demands of management. You can work late, put in the extra hours and constantly shift focus from task to task. Or you can work on improving processes (with the short term cost of letting tasks slip due to a lack of resources) and go for lasting improvment.

There are two "currencies" in the AFL. Draft picks and development of draft picks. 4-5 weeks from now to the end season will not sabotage development of our players. We have to nail that other currency and build up a critical amount of talent to create a dynasty. With LDU, Tarryn, Simpkin, Phillips, Powell and Stephenson we are building that critical mass. The time is now. Don't fu** this up for the love of god.
We seem to be assembling the best list that we've had for over twenty years. If we stuff this up, it could easily be a decade before we again have so much potential in our team.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Would set us up better than just one player.
Imagine getting Gibcus , Rachelle, Amiss/Goater
I really want to upgrade our second for this exact scenario

TurnoverMerchant

Vanilla Campaigner
Jul 11, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I honestly think we should just take what we get. If it’s pick 1, our great club will make them a star! Plus, remember that our pick will go down by 2 picks no matter what.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I just looked at the leading goal kickers this year. I mean if you’re in the top 10 you must be trash. Uh huh. McGovern was really good before he left adelaide with a massive ceiling. You could throw Jesse Hogan in there too who was outside the first round. You can find good enough in the second round and you can move em around in FA.

the point is, KP Forwards are shifted and uprooted from their clubs. They are the players that most move in FA. So why bother having one develop on a list that takes years to have them walk away? You go and get your key forward by dangling a carrot (coin/team)
McGovern showed promise that’s all if his name was Mitch Smith he’d likely be on a list but not earning Carlton Bucks

Le Grille

Cancelled
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I honestly think we should just take what we get. If it’s pick 1, our great club will make them a star! Plus, remember that our pick will go down by 2 picks no matter what.
Yes assuming Horne is the one, that’s cool plus we get to * wbs and colls draft for the lols

Le Grille

Cancelled
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We are finishing the season off well so no shame getting the spoon, Pick 1 and Pick 1 in the PSD while improving is the perfect result.

I just don’t want us to win a dead rubber in the last Round if we win one of the next 2, it’s kind of pointless given what’s on offer.

Winning a game against an Adelaide side that could be tanking is not culture building, it’s fools gold.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would expect North to beat Adelaide. The others, well, less likely but Richmond is possible. I somehow can't see Hawthorn winning again unless they really do want to send Clarko off without a spoon in his cabinet. On the other hand, Sammy Mitchells might want pick #1 to kick start his campaign.

If we beat Richmond does anybody see Dusty making a bid to try to honour the agreement he reneged on a few years ago? And if he did, what would the response be?
I think he's done and dustied.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Say we finish last for arguments sake. Dependant on how high we rate Horne, trade pick 1 for 2 top 10 picks . Trade next years first for another top 5 and go to this years draft with pick 4,5,7?
The choice puts the club in such a good position; take #1 if that's the best choice (assuming that's Horne), but I tell you what, let's speculate with you and turn #1 into two picks inside the first ten for two of Gibcus/Callaghan/Rachelle - that's a comparative equation to test the average mathematician

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
18. North 18 & 70%

17. Haw 22 & 80%
16. Crow 24 & 80%
15. G.C. 24 & 80%
14. Coll 24 & 92%

Alot of % to make up - 2 games worth.

Win v Tiges - possible
Win v Swans - unlikely
Win v Crows - possible

Can see us winning one v Tiges if they chuck it in.

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
18. North 18 & 70%

17. Haw 22 & 80%
16. Crow 24 & 80%
15. G.C. 24 & 80%
14. Coll 24 & 92%

Win v Tiges - possible
Win v Swans - unlikely
Win v Crows - possible

Did ladder production and if we beat Richmond and Adelaide we finished 4th last.
😬

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
18. North 18 & 70%

17. Haw 22 & 80%
16. Crow 24 & 80%
15. G.C. 24 & 80%
14. Coll 24 & 92%

Win v Tiges - possible
Win v Swans - unlikely
Win v Crows - possible

If the Tigers win this they'll be buoyant and they're always hard to beat at the MCG. Good chance the Crows have Matt Crouch back by the last round and he gives them a lot of class.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If the Tigers win this they'll be buoyant and they're always hard to beat at the MCG. Good chance the Crows have Matt Crouch back by the last round and he gives them a lot of class.

Reckon we might be pretty spent by r.23. Losta youngster's, loooooong year, who knows, another injury or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back