Opinion The Race for Pick #1 - It's ours (almost... again....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sorry, but how are we a ‘certainty’?
We’re yet to actually win at Adelaide Oval & there’s a good chance there will be a big home crowd there. We will also be without Ben Cunnington.
Haha yeah, certainty is overdoing it a bit. But I reckon we'll be comfortable favourites. Despite our ladder position, we're genuinely playing at a level that would see us in the lower half of the eight over a full season. We're just better than them and despite our record there, I think we'll win.

Also, Nobes has actively said a few times we don't want to finish bottom. I'm not so sure the same is true at Adelaide. I don't think they mind finishing bottom at all given Horne's a local boy.

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This is the type of sh*t I'm talking about.
Feeling sick at the prospect of actually winning games?? I can't believe we have collectively stooped to this level.

Cheer up, our outlook has not been so good for a long time.
At this point there is nothing to be gained by winning 4 or 8 points, we can actually control the situation without a sense of desperation. The club knows exactly where we’re at and if they decide to play the kid’s or players in different positions as they would in the preseason it would be with a clear plan and a jump start for next year.

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Haha yeah, certainty is overdoing it a bit. But I reckon we'll be comfortable favourites. Despite our ladder position, we're genuinely playing at a level that would see us in the lower half of the eight over a full season. We're just better than them and despite our record there, I think we'll win.

Also, Nobes has actively said a few times we don't want to finish bottom. I'm not so sure the same is true at Adelaide. I don't think they mind finishing bottom at all given Horne's a local boy.
I think all of the Hawks Crows Magpies and us have shown in the last few weeks that they all wont to win games regardless of draft picks i reckon its great myself.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors

If the Tigers beat us it won't be an issue anyway, they can't finish bottom. We won't beat the Swans short of some catastrophe for them.

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If the Tigers beat us it won't be an issue anyway, they can't finish bottom. We won't beat the Swans short of some catastrophe for them.
I honestly reckon we'll be right in the hunt against the Swans and if we had Cunners I'd give us an even money chance. Maybe I'm overestimating us a bit, but our form line is excellent and I think we'll match up well against them.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I honestly reckon we'll be right in the hunt against the Swans and if we had Cunners I'd give us an even money chance. Maybe I'm overestimating us a bit, but our form line is excellent and I think we'll match up well against them.
Yeh that Buddy guy has never bothered us in the past.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams

I respect your positivity friend, even if I don't share it. If we lose next week I genuinely expect pre-season to start for any player showing a niggle.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I respect your positivity friend, even if I don't share it. If we lose next week I genuinely expect pre-season to start for any player showing a niggle.

i think any players with niggles should be shut down now

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
i think any players with niggles should be shut down now

Agreed, but I believe Noble when he says he doesn't want to win the spoon. If we lose next week, the reality should settle in.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Agreed, but I believe Noble when he says he doesn't want to win the spoon. If we lose next week, the reality should settle in.
im not saying that so we can get #1 its more to ensure we have a fully fit side day 1 of pre season. we cant have another season cruelled by injury

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
im not saying that so we can get #1 its more to ensure we have a fully fit side day 1 of pre season. we cant have another season cruelled by injury

Absolutely, but the boss is the one making the decisions.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Le Grille

Cancelled
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah, I get it. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic but I'm so high on us after what we've done over the last 6-8 weeks that I give us a chance in any game not against Geelong/Melbourne/Dogs/Port.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Yeah, I get it. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic but I'm so high on us after what we've done over the last 6-8 weeks that I give us a chance in any game not against Geelong/Melbourne/Dogs/Port.

I'm happy to claim overly pessimistic in turn.

Would be very interesting if there was a young Wayne Carey in the drafts this year. Anywho I'm confused as to why people and fairly smart people think those of us that want pick #1 are advocates for tanking? We're not, it's just we're realists.

We for years recruited players not good enough to be premiership players but good enough to have us around the eight, usually ninth with the majority of our wins either in Tassie or against fledgling clubs or bottom four battlers.

I do see how us losing yesterday did us any damage at all, actually it seems the football world were impressed with our loss. do you lot not remember when we were questioned on what we stood for as a club? The media didn't talk about us unless it was to be negative. Them was some dark days.

We currently sit deadlast and the stories are all positive, I've said it before all media personalities want to be the first to declare a new dawn for any footy club.
By delisting 12 senior footballers we decide to go back to come forward 100% the right decision. It's not tanking and we're not tanking but you can manipulate finishing positions by who takes the field any given Sunday or Saturday and very occasionally Friday night.

Our culture won't be tarnished by being 18th, as I think Chad said ( wisely) finishing 17th doesn't make you anymore successful.

The drafts are the equalisation tool at all clubs disposal and yes we'd get a good footballer if we finished 17th, but what we don't get by being 17th is total control of the pre-season draft. That if you like is the money shot. Clubs have lost all power and allows us to manipulate our desired outcomes.

Many a club has bottomed out got draft assistance and bounced back and won flags while we sat around and fiddled. I for one hope we finish last, don't win another game for the season and I will still judge this year as the fourth most successful year between about 2001- 2021. Though it will be our most important year since 1999. It's been far too long people.

The fact is any pick in the top three would have served us well in those years instead of the lower picks we ended up with. Cunners at 5 in 2009, LMac as a F/S a few years later so its not an actual high pick really. LDU a few years later again then TT who wasn't an actual high pick either, an academy pick instead. So in 10 years we had two picks that weren't tied to an academy or F/s situation but were in the top 10 (actually the top 5.)

2009 - 2019 Cunners and LDU. 2011 - 2020 LDU and WAP.

Whatever happens from now, whether we get pick 1 or not, we will still end up with a pick at least as good as our best in the last decade (ie pick 3) and possibly equal to our highest ever pick, Wellsy @2. If there wasn't this hype around Horne we wouldn't care about pick one, 2 or 3 would be fine. Look at Phillips. He looks like a gun player already. He may not have taken the comp by storm but what he has done reeks of class. Its all class.

And it may be hype. There may be better long term prospects in this draft that we haven't cottoned onto cos of all this disruption. I kind of don't mind losing because Horne seems like a great long term consolation prize but I love winning. Don't care about the spoon or not any more. The reality is we are s**t, we've been at rock bottom, but improving and the numbers on the ladder are irrelevent in that context. But the wins we get now aren't beating anyone below us. Every one we beat is above us on the ladder.

On top of that tho, we beat an interstate team who are entrenched in finals at their hometown fortress then we ripped apart a team that would technically be in the eight right now if they'd beaten us, yeah Cartlon!!! WE kept them out of the eight. They are two points out on the live ladder right now. If Port win they are two points behinds GWS and maybe they could still make finals. And both of those wins were driven by our young guys taking the game on. Not by older players beating up on the less fortunate.

We are the less fortunate right now. So...

Our culture won't be tarnished by being 18th, as I think Chad said ( wisely) finishing 17th doesn't make you anymore successful.

While I agree with the first part I don't agree with the second part. Wins like the ones the boys are having develop culture and character. Even from here at the bottom of the ladder these boys are having an influence on who plays finals. What they take out of that will be far more valuable than just finishing 18th.

Will it be more valuable than Horne? Maybe not. Will it and say Finn Callaghan or one of the other three Joshes be more valuable than Horne tho?

That is a different question and maybe not as easy to answer.

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You should ask The acurate one for advice. He didn't get the handle "The Love Doctor" for nothing.

Just be careful though his other nickname is "The Lunch Cutter".

Haha I “naturally” avoid love doctors, when you’ve been separated from your wife for 3 years due to COVID/Studies/Family reasons you usually don’t have much fight left in ya.

And i’m no different.

How do you not rate someone on first sight and it not be a young player?

I’ll use Gibbo as an example.

I think I was trying to say I typically don’t call out young players as s**t unless they are without hope.

Was a heavy weekend.

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The amount of people not only comfortable with, but actively barracking for us to finish last so we have pick 1 (despite history suggesting pick 1 is unlikely to actually end up the best player in the draft) is genuinely disturbing.

You being misery in every thread in tiresome.

It’s not just pick 1, it’s pick 20, it’s pick 38, it’s the fact our 2022 Picks are worth more as a result.

Open your ******* eyes mate. Stop being so myopic as if we all want to ******* lose - we’ve lost already.

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Say we finish last for arguments sake. Dependant on how high we rate Horne, trade pick 1 for 2 top 10 picks . Trade next years first for another top 5 and go to this years draft with pick 4,5,7?

It’s not bad, but why are we potentially trading Horne for Cale Morton(Callaghan)?

If we want Gibcus, Trade next years 1st for him. Or 20 + 2022R2 to GWS for 10.

We don’t need to sacrifice Horne in order to get Gibcus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back