Opinion The Race for Pick #1 - It's ours (almost... again....)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
FFS some of these trade suggestions. If we finish 18th Adelaide can offer their first, their 2022 first and a player or a future 2nd. The cost of moving up in the first round is rightfully expensive.

Sydney will put us to the sword and I can see us winding right down before Round 23. Chance against Richmond though - not sure what's happened to them.

There’s a difference between finishing last and trying to finish last.
You hit the nail on the head Kangatime. It would be terrible to finish last just to get a higher pick in my opinion. Luckily Noble feels the same as with all the players. But if we finish last while trying our guts out to win well you just have to wear that.

we will still get injuries and loss of form etc ..get as much quality as we can

Our depth is pretty good. From the team on the weekend you'd have Cunners, Thomas, Kelly*, Horne*, Powell, Zurhaar and Corr pretty much walk up starts. Plus Perez, Young, Bonar, Lazzaro and Comben pressing hard.

Maybe dignity is the wrong word but some around here would at least feel conflicted hoping their team loses.

Maybe you are overestimating our moral compass…

When the ‘deck’ is stacked against you, some would consider ‘stealing’ off the competition to be a reasonable outcome, for once.

Making up for the cheating umpires and the no games at the G for 2.5 years, getting multiple 6 day breaks, the Sunday time slots which affect our ability to pull crowds, the constant bullshit about our place in the competition.

Maybe some of us have just said ******* enough campaigners, we’ll play your stupid games.

Firsty WTF!! It's anonymous??

Secondly me and my dignity parted ways a fair while ago now. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Semi-anonymous, maybe there’s 10 blokes who could point you out of line-out for $100k.

Re dignity, I hear ya… that first time of waiting for IGA to open to get a new pack of Bulbs was when I really started to question my place in life.

Maybe dignity is the wrong word but some around here would at least feel conflicted hoping their team loses.

Bet if you look at Richmond's board they're talking about resting half their team for better picks. Most supporters of clubs outside the 8 would be. Everyone wants the same thing at the end of the day, to win flags. Theres just differing opinions of how to get there.

My NHL team finished last a few years ago, ended up picking 2nd because of the lottery and missed out on a bloke who is now, in many peoples opinion, the best player in the league. Hate the concept so much.

Well you're not exactly unbiased then :D

It can go the other way too. Maybe if we'd had a lottery, we might have gotten Pick 1 in one of those years we didn't finish dead last. Maybe even two years?

So it can be good, it can be bad. It's a real lottery this lottery business.

No chance in hell Noble would come out and say we want pick 1.

Exactly even if in last with zero chance of missing the pick no official with any semblance of a brain would even hint that maybe that wouldn't be the worst result. The AFL would burn it all to the ground for even inferring this.

All of this is pointless talk until after the Tigers game, we need to go all in to win that one, it’s so important to our junior members in particular.

If we don’t win, round 23 becomes a dead rubber and those desperate for Horne can get excited creating Best 22 2022 lineups for the summer.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

All of this is pointless talk until after the Tigers game, we need to go all in to win that one, it’s so important to our junior members in particular.

If we don’t win, round 23 becomes a dead rubber and those desperate for Horne can get excited creating Best 22 2022 lineups for the summer.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
If the young members have put up with 2021 thus far, they’ll be fine with a few more losses

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the young members have put up with 2021 thus far, they’ll be fine with a few more losses

They ain’t rusted on at 5, ideally you’d like your kid to not cop it daily for supporting the Roos.

Tigers win would carry them for the offseason.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

They ain’t rusted on at 5, ideally you’d like your kid to not cop it daily for supporting the Roos.

Tigers win would carry them for the offseason.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Probably a good time for the parent to teach the child about delayed gratification, not always getting what you want, sticking in there for the rough times makes the rewards all the more sweeter, about how the competition works and arming them to deal with antagonists. You know, rather than relying on a group of people that play football to make life easier for them.

Screw trading pick #1 with Adelaide.

I'm going back to my original idea; dangle pick #1 to Carlton for Harry McKay.

Get Harry to request the trade to North to play with Ben, and have our bookends solidified for 10 years.

Get Harry to request the trade to North to play with Ben, and have our bookends solidified for 10 years.

I get what you're saying but I don't see the benefit in getting him now while we're still rebuilding.
We won't be contending for another 1-2 years. Better to get him as a top up once we're ready. Remember what happened last time we cut a rebuild short bc it looked ike we were going okay.

I know we're progressing fast but there's still a lot of work to do. Earlier on Nobes had the team focused on 'slowing down and controlling the ball in the back line'... and more recently it's been a lot of 'through the corridor' work. He will rightfully want to try a couple more tacts next year which will look ugly at first and cost games. Not to mention he'll be more cutting a few more players end of year.

Also, Harry is a machine, he's worth a lot more than pick 1. Carlton don't need pick 1... they've had enough of those and have progressed well into the 'top up' stage of their 20 year rebuild.

Long story short... patience my friend. We will get him once his contract ends

Last edited:

I wouldnt give pick 1 for a bloke that doesnt kick drop punts for goal outside 50.

I get what you're saying but I don't see the benefit in getting him now while we're still rebuilding.
We won't be contending for another 1-2 years. Better to get him as a top up once we're ready. Remember what happened last time we cut a rebuild short bc it looked ike we were going okay.

I know we're progressing fast but there's still a lot of work to do. Earlier on Nobes had the team focused on 'slowing down and controlling the ball in the back line'... and more recently it's been a lot of 'through the corridor' work. He will rightfully want to try a couple more tacts next year which will look ugly at first and cost games. Not to mention he'll be more cutting a few more players end of year.

Also, Harry is a machine, he's worth a lot more than pick 1. Carlton don't need pick 1... they've had enough of those and have progressed well into the 'top up' stage of their 20 year rebuild.

The only problem with these scenarios is that the brothers don't actually want to play for the same team. I know, I know, it's a minor hurdle for BF trading, but still a real world complication

You hit the nail on the head Kangatime. It would be terrible to finish last just to get a higher pick in my opinion. Luckily Noble feels the same as with all the players. But if we finish last while trying our guts out to win well you just have to wear that.
In a way we are trying to do both, on the weekend we played a really aggressive style of footy, trying to pull off hard kicks quickly, which is why we turned over so many times.
If we come last playing like this for the next 3 weeks then so be it, we get some development into our young players, there's no better way to learn than learning on the job.

In a way we are trying to do both, on the weekend we played a really aggressive style of footy, trying to pull off hard kicks quickly, which is why we turned over so many times.
If we come last playing like this for the next 3 weeks then so be it, we get some development into our young players, there's no better way to learn than learning on the job.

It's the right way to go for now. I think there is a final in our teams future where we mix up this and come out intentionally attacking the boundary whilst others expect corridor play and throw them completely off - but you don't waste effort doing that now at this point in development IMO.

Comben will be better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back