Opinion The Race for Pick #1 - It's ours (almost... again....)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People acting like this team chased #1 with all its gusto when on the display in front of us - not getting #1 would be playing above our level.

Not sure I even want the spoon so long as we pick up the band 1 compo for McKay.

Blokes like Watson and Duursma have more appeal than Reid to me with their running power and sharp skills.

We will finish where we finish but last year showed that #1 will always have value. We might be able to turn that into #2 or #3 and something valuable if we didn't want the clear #1 at end of year.

Well, it doesn't look good, and I'm resigned to a few things - However I have hardly lost hope, and I know all the reasons why our rebuild has been sputtering over the recent years and its taken time.

Why are we still here (after making the choice to do a rebuild that is)?
We have had a s**t card dealt to us over time, so Looking back at the hands we have been dealt, I am not surprised at where we are. We made zero savings on any of our father son picks in the last 8 years, we have had BOTH our pick ones taken by FS, and bottom out was in the middle of covid, and port made a deal to effectively steal our pick from the year before while having a big media voice to provide cover and drive a narritive so that it doesn't get looked at. I think its been the very worst conditions for a team to bottom out in a rebuild, let alone any consideration to coaching or anything else.

So. Lets just hold on to our seats, clench our glutes and ride this out. We are just going to have to suck this up and be positive about what we see from our development, its going to be another year in the bottom 4, but I think that's it - if it wasn't for sheezel I think we would need another two in the bottom 4 considering how screwed we have been in the past few years of the rebuild.

Positives around next year?
Well I don't know what happens with TT this year, but with any luck next year could be a reset for him. We also get access to two first rounders (with ports pick, albeit not looking particularly exciting), Harley Reid (which... well I'm looking at this realistically, I think we have a strong chance to get), plus our stashed first rounder in Brayden George from this year and probably all of the rest of the past 2-3 years of draft picks fully fit and not absolute newbie. Also, a year into Clarko's system will beneficial all around, sheezel and wardlaw getting better, Clarko and his team as they can work out kinks.

Negatives around net year?
This puts a lot of pressure on us comming good next year externally, but also internally - there are a number of contracts lined up with 2024. In some ways I think that's actually a good thing as those guys, no matter if they get interest from other teams or not, will want to put together mighty good years. Zurhar, Larkey, and Simpkin are all up at 8 years, though I am not sure which of them are in our top 25% TTP, so restricted FA might still apply.

So all up, next year is what matters now with Clarko and the new team - not this year.

Simmo's definitely got the Weagles having a dip at #1

The only question is, will they pick a local WA boy or go with Reid?
They will be open for business I'd say. If they have a WA lad in mind, they'll deal to shuffle down a spot or two but expect a juicy sweetener later in the first round. I wonder if there are any clubs with a history of playing nice with WCE at the trade table who also holds enough draft capital. ;)

They will be open for business I'd say. If they have a WA lad in mind, they'll deal to shuffle down a spot or two but expect a juicy sweetener later in the first round. I wonder if there are any clubs with a history of playing nice with WCE at the trade table who also holds enough draft capital. ;)
Didn't the swines and the wiggles do a shifty deal a few seasons back to protect a sydney first round pick? Simmo and Horse have form.

Well, it doesn't look good, and I'm resigned to a few things - However I have hardly lost hope, and I know all the reasons why our rebuild has been sputtering over the recent years and its taken time.

Why are we still here (after making the choice to do a rebuild that is)?
We have had a s**t card dealt to us over time, so Looking back at the hands we have been dealt, I am not surprised at where we are. We made zero savings on any of our father son picks in the last 8 years, we have had BOTH our pick ones taken by FS, and bottom out was in the middle of covid, and port made a deal to effectively steal our pick from the year before while having a big media voice to provide cover and drive a narritive so that it doesn't get looked at. I think its been the very worst conditions for a team to bottom out in a rebuild, let alone any consideration to coaching or anything else.

So. Lets just hold on to our seats, clench our glutes and ride this out. We are just going to have to suck this up and be positive about what we see from our development, its going to be another year in the bottom 4, but I think that's it - if it wasn't for sheezel I think we would need another two in the bottom 4 considering how screwed we have been in the past few years of the rebuild.

Positives around next year?
Well I don't know what happens with TT this year, but with any luck next year could be a reset for him. We also get access to two first rounders (with ports pick, albeit not looking particularly exciting), Harley Reid (which... well I'm looking at this realistically, I think we have a strong chance to get), plus our stashed first rounder in Brayden George from this year and probably all of the rest of the past 2-3 years of draft picks fully fit and not absolute newbie. Also, a year into Clarko's system will beneficial all around, sheezel and wardlaw getting better, Clarko and his team as they can work out kinks.

Negatives around net year?
This puts a lot of pressure on us comming good next year externally, but also internally - there are a number of contracts lined up with 2024. In some ways I think that's actually a good thing as those guys, no matter if they get interest from other teams or not, will want to put together mighty good years. Zurhar, Larkey, and Simpkin are all up at 8 years, though I am not sure which of them are in our top 25% TTP, so restricted FA might still apply.

So all up, next year is what matters now with Clarko and the new team - not this year.

Still friggin hurts but Zero's 😥

+ can we update the pic at top of thread handsome moderators ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back