Opinion The Race for Pick #1 - It's ours (almost... again....)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This is the type of sh*t I'm talking about.
Feeling sick at the prospect of actually winning games?? I can't believe we have collectively stooped to this level.
Maybe we should have a draft lottery system like the NBA. This thread wouldn't have existed, I would have been spared from reading a load of bs 'team X is clearly tanking' calls and a few posters around here would have their dignity intact.

Krakouer Bonar

Senior List
Sep 29, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We will trade pick 1 to Adelaide for pick 2. Adelaide will throw in another pick and a player (Fischer McAsey) as a sweetener. They see Horne as their next poster boy and want him bad. Slipping from 1 to 2 and a few extras thrown in? No drama from me. Plus we may then select Finn 'Dirty Harry' Callaghan!!

Full Chooks

Senior List
Mar 28, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Buffalo Sabres
Maybe we should have a draft lottery system like the NBA. This thread wouldn't have existed, I would have been spared from reading a load of bs 'team X is clearly tanking' calls and a few posters around here would have their dignity intact.
If we had a draft lottery system and we do finish dead last how would you feel getting the 3rd or 4th overall pick instead of 1st? We'd miss out on a great talent that we could use to rebuild. Draft lotteries punish, not only teams that tank but also teams that are legitimately woeful. We aren't woeful now but we still lost the first 9 games of the season and deserve advantages in the draft. My NHL team finished last a few years ago, ended up picking 2nd because of the lottery and missed out on a bloke who is now, in many peoples opinion, the best player in the league. Hate the concept so much.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We will trade pick 1 to Adelaide for pick 2. Adelaide will throw in another pick and a player (Fischer McAsey) as a sweetener. They see Horne as their next poster boy and want him bad. Slipping from 1 to 2 and a few extras thrown in? No drama from me. Plus we may then select Finn 'Dirty Harry' Callaghan!!
Will we?

Aug 21, 2011
Basement of the J. Edgar Hoover Building
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester City, Melbourne Victory
There’s a difference between finishing last and trying to finish last.

And? Heaps of teams throw the gear into neutral. There is no point going hammer and tong for the sake of pride, I don't want blokes hurt heading into pre-season.

We have three games to experiment, play some new guys and play consequence free. Hopefully jag one win.

There are no guarantees with any player in any draft at any position, but you create opportunities with leverage, and Pick 1 and PSD Pick 1 is a lot of opportunity.

R00StaR

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2003
Asgard
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos

Nah, we'll take Horne and sell them posters $50 each.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeh, not happenin

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
And? Heaps of teams throw the gear into neutral. There is no point going hammer and tong for the sake of pride, I don't want blokes hurt heading into pre-season.

We have three games to experiment, play some new guys and play consequence free. Hopefully jag one win.

There are no guarantees with any player in any draft at any position, but you create opportunities with leverage, and Pick 1 and PSD Pick 1 is a lot of opportunity.

Especially for a team that could make the 8 next year without much luck with injuries.

Everyone has their dignity in tact, it’s an anonymous forum.

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think we've got too much integrity to go out and deliberately lose in the last round of the season, but * that game against Adelaide has the possibility of being an absolute farce if the loser actually wins by getting the first pick.

Honestly, i'd like to see the first 3-4 picks get decided by a lottery system as early as next year, similar to the NBA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FlyHigh18

Arden St Parking Inspector
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'd much rather see a couple more of these rather than the spoon

1627874266928.png

1627874518723.png

l'm starting to think > Do we actually need to get Horne with Pick#1...Maybe do a swap with Adelaide and with their first pick " if its #2" get Gallaghan plus another pick high enough to get " Rachelle plus a player, maybe Fogarty or Himmelburg...If they want Horne that much we might be able to get it done. Otherwise pick #1 stays with us... ;) :laughv1:

vntrinh

Rookie
Apr 23, 2007
Albanvale
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wished we lost to GWS. A draw feels like a loss anyway. That way we are a game and a half from hawthorn which would mean we will try our very best to win the remaining games without compromising our draft picks.

It also would've put GWS ahead of * in the finals race. Keen on keeping the tradition of them not winning finals ;)

Ether

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If we had a draft lottery system and we do finish dead last how would you feel getting the 3rd or 4th overall pick instead of 1st? We'd miss out on a great talent that we could use to rebuild. Draft lotteries punish, not only teams that tank but also teams that are legitimately woeful. We aren't woeful now but we still lost the first 9 games of the season and deserve advantages in the draft. My NHL team finished last a few years ago, ended up picking 2nd because of the lottery and missed out on a bloke who is now, in many peoples opinion, the best player in the league. Hate the concept so much.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'd have no problem with that whatsoever. We aren't the worst team in it and will actually be fine if we get pick 2 or 3, rather than 1, who is not guaranteed to be the best player out of this draft anyway. Can't you see anything wrong with a system that makes people hope their team will lose?

Harpergun

Senior List
Mar 7, 2012
Gold Coast
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wished we lost to GWS. A draw feels like a loss anyway. That way we are a game and a half from hawthorn which would mean we will try our very best to win the remaining games without compromising our draft picks.

It would make no difference what so ever. Would put us on 16 points to their 22. We would still need to win 2 games to get above them. As it stands we still need to win 2 games to go above them.

It also would've put GWS ahead of * in the finals race. Keen on keeping the tradition of them not winning finals ;)

Ether

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Especially for a team that could make the 8 next year without much luck with injuries.

Everyone has their dignity in tact, it’s an anonymous forum.
Maybe dignity is the wrong word but some around here would at least feel conflicted hoping their team loses.

R00StaR

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2003
Asgard
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
l'm starting to think > Do we actually need to get Horne with Pick#1...Maybe do a swap with Adelaide and with their first pick " if its #2" get Gallaghan plus another pick high enough to get " Rachelle plus a player, maybe Fogarty or Himmelburg...If they want Horne that much we might be able to get it done. Otherwise pick #1 stays with us... ;) :laughv1:

Yes we need him, the corridor game which is a must for really any club requires a high skill level, 2 way running and hardness. All traits Horne reportedly brings. Imo our list is in much better shape than many think, particularly if we get both Horne and Kelly - so quality over quantity should be the goal. Not only that Horne has been a mid playing forward already.

Even the best small forwards struggle to stay in the game consistently, unless we just happen to hit the jackpot with one we should just focus on rotating our mids through that spot given we'll have a metric s**t tonne of quality mids if the above happens.

Try fit them all in the team, through the middle and along side Larkey, Zurhaar and Comben - not many gaps there.

Back 6 will be just as jammed with a fit list.

KiwiRoo

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2007
New Zealand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yes we need him, the corridor game which is a must for really any club requires a high skill level, 2 way running and hardness. All traits Horne reportedly brings. Imo our list is in much better shape than many think, particularly if we get both Horne and Kelly - so quality over quantity should be the goal. Not only that Horne has been a mid playing forward already.

Even the best small forwards struggle to stay in the game consistently, unless we just happen to hit the jackpot with one we should just focus on rotating our mids through that spot given we'll have a metric sh*t tonne of quality mids if the above happens.

Try fit them all in the team, through the middle and along side Larkey, Zurhaar and Comben - not many gaps there.

we will still get injuries and loss of form etc ..get as much quality as we can

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'd much rather see a couple more of these rather than the spoon

View attachment 1194089
View attachment 1194092
You’ll see plenty of those in 2022 and beyond. you’ll walk to Colonial with ya head held high wondering how much we’ll win by. You’ll sit down afterwards and have a beer discussing how good we are going, who is AA, who may win a brownlow, who’s the normy and which stars will we lure with FA.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Even the best small forwards struggle to stay in the game consistently, unless we just happen to hit the jackpot with one we should just focus on rotating our mids through that spot given we'll have a metric sh*t tonne of quality mids if the above happens.

He’s a walk up start round one at half forward/half back. He’ll create an immense amount of pressure forward of centre. Not scared and cracks in. He’s a shinboner. Theres no one better than Jy, And Cunners and co to lead him in the right direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back